Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost XM Radio Signal

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 08:07 PM
coastrider1
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lost XM Radio Signal

My XM Radio loses the signal whenever the bike is pointed north. Any ideas about how to correct this?

Good replies so far. The XM unit I have is the integrated Boom Audio SiriusXM Satellite Radio Kit, HD Part No. 76404-06. My dealer mechanic says it does not have an antenna that can be repositioned, but when I look at the picture of the unit in the HD catalog there appears to be a separate antenna.

I'm riding a 2011 FLTRX.

Thanks

Last edited by coastrider1; 10-20-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:11 PM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Where is your antenna located?

The antenna has to be able to see to the southwest to pick up the signal. It sounds like it is being blocked by a metallic object when you are heading north.

Bwana

Old 10-20-2011, 02:14 AM
hockey8787
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dont point it north!! All kidding aside i believe that the signal comes from the south western sky, every time i go east or west and under tree overhang i loose it as well!!

Old 10-20-2011, 03:15 AM
oppirs
Road Warrior

Why deal with XM? I hear more & more BS on XM. Never liked those yakking DJ's.

I put a RF transmitter using usb in my touring pac. 2000 tunes and it's near the ant. So strong signal.

My radio era (1986) picks it up just fine on 88.3 MHZ. I don't pay a fee. One time cost of $19.+usb.

I had an incentive, no good radio signal (major fade) or cassette player.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:13 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Unless you mount the antenna on the outside of the bike, the XM reception sucks. I've got mine on top of the amp inside the fairing, and any kind of tree cover or building will block the signal. I don't bother turning it on unless I'm on the highway.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:35 AM
Krow
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(Probably from California, the satellites are in the southeast rather than southwest???)

From what I understand, the antenna needs a metal base to amplify the signal. I have mine on top of my radio under the fairing. I lose it for a few seconds at a time if I'm in a heavily wooded area.

One thing I have noticed lately is that my signal would sometimes suddenly go from three bars (highest) to one bar or lost signal for no apparent reason. I discovered if I press on the antenna connection to the sat radio mount I regain my 3-bar reception.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:45 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Krow
(Probably from California, the satellites are in the southeast rather than southwest???)

From what I understand, the antenna needs a metal base to amplify the signal. I have mine on top of my radio under the fairing. I lose it for a few seconds at a time if I'm in a heavily wooded area.

One thing I have noticed lately is that my signal would sometimes suddenly go from three bars (highest) to one bar or lost signal for no apparent reason. I discovered if I press on the antenna connection to the sat radio mount I regain my 3-bar reception.
Pull the antenna plug off the radio, using a small pick or tiny screwdriver, slightly bend the metal tabs that secure the plug to the male receiver connection so it's tighter. I had the same issues and found the connection was loose.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:49 AM
bubbas1
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Wad having trouble with xm losing signal. Called them up and they resent the turn on signal. No problems since. My antenna is on a metal bracket mounted by the speaker.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:25 AM
jackja25
Road Captain

I for the past couple of years always had my antenna mounted on top of the radio under the fairing. Just like the initial post, most of the time traveling due North usually had a lost signal. Finally a couple of weeks ago I mounted the antenna on a mount outside the fairing. No loss of signal at all, in any direction. There use to be roads or areas not traveling North that were dead. Now everything appears to always be three bars. Although I have that fugly antenna visible.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:56 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by jackja25
I for the past couple of years always had my antenna mounted on top of the radio under the fairing. Just like the initial post, most of the time traveling due North usually had a lost signal. Finally a couple of weeks ago I mounted the antenna on a mount outside the fairing. No loss of signal at all, in any direction. There use to be roads or areas not traveling North that were dead. Now everything appears to always be three bars. Although I have that fugly antenna visible.
Got a picture of the mount you used?

Quick Reply: Lost XM Radio Signal