Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost XM Radio Signal

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 09:40 AM
Beak
Road Master
Received 285 Likes on 132 Posts

Had the same issue with signal droping going down tree lined roads. They resent the signals, I check connections, .....no luck. After my contract expiered, I told them I wanted to cancel. They wanted to know why, told them everything that I had tried. Now they call me or email me weekly wanting me to subscribe at a half the price I paid them originally.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:19 AM
coastrider1
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coastrider here.

Good replies so far. The XM unit I have is the integrated Boom Audio SiriusXM Satellite Radio Kit, HD Part No. 76404-06. My dealer mechanic says it does not have an antenna that can be repositioned, but when I look at the picture of the unit in the HD catalog there appears to be a separate antenna.

I'm riding a 2011 FLTRX.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:53 AM
Krow
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Pull the antenna plug off the radio, using a small pick or tiny screwdriver, slightly bend the metal tabs that secure the plug to the male receiver connection so it's tighter. I had the same issues and found the connection was loose.
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

You have an antenna on the inside of your fairing by your left speaker on a little metal bracket.
It is held on by a magnet on the bottom of the antenna.
I read where one guy's bracket lost a mounting screw and it fell forward and he lost reception heading north because the antenna was pointing down.

Now my experience:

I bought that X-M unit in 2008 for a Street Glide, it worked well and seldom dropped a signal.
I traded bikes for a 2009 Street Glide and swapped it over and it seldom dropped a signal.
I traded again for a 2012 CVO Street Glide and once again swapped it over and it dropped signal so much it was almost unusable.

I moved the antenna to outside the fairing and it now works better than it ever did.
I stuck it between the windshield bags and it can hardly be seen.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:12 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Looks good, but my XM is through my Garmin, so my antenna is the size of a hockey puck.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:50 AM
gnirtsnod
Cruiser

I had the same problem with my antena "puck" and moved it to the outside; however, I fabricated a mount (metal base with tabs) and placed it horizontally between the fairing stabilizer bracket (vertical bracket to the left and right of the radio) and the speaker, placing the "puck" directly beneath the top edge of the fairing. Reception has been great ever since. I think placing the "puck" on top of the radio creates some RF interferance.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:53 AM
jackja25
Road Captain

Originally Posted by '05Train
Got a picture of the mount you used?
Here is a picture or link:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/image...view/5504/557/

Old 10-20-2011, 12:07 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by jackja25
Cool. Any issues with having the antenna out in the weather?

Old 10-20-2011, 01:06 PM
jackja25
Road Captain

Originally Posted by '05Train
Cool. Any issues with having the antenna out in the weather?
No issues, Just dont like that puck sitting there. Make sure you use locktite on the screws for the puck this way nobody will rip it off. Just take the wire and loop it under the mount.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:48 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by coastrider1
My XM Radio loses the signal whenever the bike is pointed north. Any ideas about how to correct this?

Good replies so far. The XM unit I have is the integrated Boom Audio SiriusXM Satellite Radio Kit, HD Part No. 76404-06. My dealer mechanic says it does not have an antenna that can be repositioned, but when I look at the picture of the unit in the HD catalog there appears to be a separate antenna.

I'm riding a 2011 FLTRX.

Thanks
As others have said there is an antenna. It only takes about 10 minutes to pull the fairing cap off the bike. Pull the fairing cap and check the antenna mount and connections. You can even get online and have XM resend a signal. Unless I'm under cover or in the hills blocking the southern sky I never loose my signal with the factory system.

Quick Reply: Lost XM Radio Signal