Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 06:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
It Cost How Much to Rent a Bike?
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/tourin...nt-a-bike.html

Issue:
Looking to rent a Harley while on vacation, a user wants to know if the prices he’s being quoted are outrageous or standard pricing.

Read below for full discussion…
Print Wikipost

It Cost How Much To Rent A Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 04:36 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

I rented an Ultra from Space Coast HD a couple years ago. 3 day rental over the weekend. I think it was $140/ day + mandatory insurance and the $2k cc hold. The whole experience was a good one and SCHD was great - and they do alot to support our vetrans too.
It did turn out to be a more expensive trip than the rental though. Both my wife and our host's wife likt the Ultra so much that we both now own one...

Old 06-01-2016, 04:48 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 297 Posts

Week rental for new ultra in Ft Lauderdale was 875.00 in May everyear. Lot more during bike weeks and other events. I take no insurance and they go BS and tell me I am not covered. Lol. BS.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:52 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 225 Posts

Yes that is the going rate and how can you put a price on something so awesome! Suck it up you're on vacation! spend it! your on vacation you can't take it with you!

Old 06-01-2016, 04:55 PM
4D_Footer
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumpandrun
Week rental for new ultra in Ft Lauderdale was 875.00 in May everyear. Lot more during bike weeks and other events. I take no insurance and they go BS and tell me I am not covered. Lol. BS.
Absoultely agree. Called my insurance prior to my trip and was told I have the same coverage as I do on my own bike. Always check with your issurance prior to renting.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:48 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by hockey8787
That $2000 deposit is crazy you can rent a Hummer or Caddy for NO deposit go figure!!
...... neither hummers or caddy's tip over if you forget to put your foot down @ a light or fail to deploy the kickstand when you get off @ the bar.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:16 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

make sure if you are going to take the " I'm using my own insurance" plan and declining theirs, that YOUR insurance company is going to be on the hook for paying for the rental bike being off the road while being repaired. The bike shop is not going to eat 150 bucks a day loss of income for 3 weeks while the claim is processed and the bike repaired. YOU are going to be on the hook for that if the insurance company declines to cover that... and that is one of the reasons there is a hold for 2 grand on your credit card.

And every rental I have ever done requires a credit card, and when we had a business renting Hummers and exotics, we got a 5 grand hold, the problem was trying to get the money out of the CC company if the customer disputed the charge.

The following users liked this post:
Slick- (06-02-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 08:24 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Neggy ZRXOA 5248
make sure if you are going to take the " I'm using my own insurance" plan and declining theirs, that YOUR insurance company is going to be on the hook for paying for the rental bike being off the road while being repaired. The bike shop is not going to eat 150 bucks a day loss of income for 3 weeks while the claim is processed and the bike repaired. YOU are going to be on the hook for that if the insurance company declines to cover that... and that is one of the reasons there is a hold for 2 grand on your credit card.

And every rental I have ever done requires a credit card, and when we had a business renting Hummers and exotics, we got a 5 grand hold, the problem was trying to get the money out of the CC company if the customer disputed the charge.
Nope....only reason for the insurance is to make the money off it. They are fully insured. It's just a money maker for them. Just dispute any problems with credit card company.....your more than 100 miles away. Forget about it. They get nothing. Most of us are probably triple insured anyway.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:28 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,777 Likes on 11,578 Posts

Based on my limited experience. The Harley Dealers rent current model low mileage Harley's to give renters a good experience. I have rented from several dealers and the bikes were like showroom models.

On the other hand, I rented a TriGlide from Eagleriders in Orlando, Fl. They were more like rent a wreck. It was the same price as an HD dealer. It was one year old, had 15,000 miles on it. Every possible location was scratched. Someone smashed the infotainment panel, so touch didn't work, and 1st gear was stripped.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:11 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

The whole insurance thing can be kind of a moot point.
I do know that it basically a profit center for them but..

If they own the bike and refuse to rent it to you unless you buy their insurance that's their right and leaves you with a choice. Aquiese to their requirements or walk away.
If the rental company will let you use your own insurance then go for it. Just understand that if something happens it's probably going to be a fight to get your insurance company to cover everything the way you hope they will.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:24 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

There contracts are a joke. Hand one to a lawyer someday. Lol. It's says u are liable for everything. Wrong. Like I said they are insured to the hilt. When they did the walk around for damage I laughed at the sales guy. I said to the guy( older than me biker and I am 60) u really think this matters? He laughed and tossed the key fob in the tour pack. Go have a nice vacation and stay safe is all he said. I now have gone to him 4 times. All I want is good tires and the ratty scratched up pile they have. Lol

Quick Reply: It Cost How Much To Rent A Bike?