Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

projector headlight retro fit

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 02:06 AM
Hoblick
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pc PaiN
I have an e-mail into theretrofitsource to get their opinion on the bar and shield medallions in the middle of the lamps and if they would interfere with the projector.
i just took the medallion off.. took about 5 seconds

Old 10-24-2011, 02:08 AM
Hoblick
Road Captain

im gonna give them a call about the dual kit for the road glide tomorrow, that way we will have both prices

then we need to start getting a list of who wants to order together.

would be great to get 25 so we can get 25% off

Old 10-24-2011, 09:16 PM
Pc PaiN
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Roadglide housing depth is about 3.5". Andrew from TRS said even after removing the medallion the projector would need to be mounted slightly over the impression left. Man I wish I could still get my hands on an older clear lens Road glide assembly that didn't have the medallion and impression.

Another option would be a custom install minus the housings but it would need the old bubble for protection.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:25 PM
2008 glide
Advanced
Default lights

i would be interested

Old 10-24-2011, 09:33 PM
05 Ultra
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

What I don't like about a projector cutoff on a bike, when banking into a turn, the cutoff shines on the outside of the turn, so you are turning into a blind corner. With a Roadglide if you used one as a high beam it would help.
BMW addressed the problem on their K1600 GT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcKOkN4koMQ

Old 10-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that video is a little over exaggerated on what "conventional" motorcycle headlights do when cornering.... at least with a harley anyways... maybe it's a little more accurate with a sport bike taking a hard corner..

Old 10-26-2011, 03:44 PM
DSTIMPLE
6th Gear

There is not enough room in the stock headlight bucket for the morimoto minis. What I am working on is making a plate that mounts them directly to the back of the black adjuster ring (road glide). As for the stupid little Harley button I took a plexi router bit and cut the front of the lens off. I had tap plastics cut me a flat piece of impact resistant polycarbonate to attach to what’s left of the stock housing. The other problem is that there is not much depth behind the headlights on a road glide to work with, so to clear the fairing support brackets you have to offset the projectors up and out. I’m in the middle of the project right now and it’s taking a LOT longer than I had planned on. Taking pictures though

Old 10-26-2011, 09:39 PM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DSTIMPLE
There is not enough room in the stock headlight bucket for the morimoto minis. What I am working on is making a plate that mounts them directly to the back of the black adjuster ring (road glide). As for the stupid little Harley button I took a plexi router bit and cut the front of the lens off. I had tap plastics cut me a flat piece of impact resistant polycarbonate to attach to what’s left of the stock housing. The other problem is that there is not much depth behind the headlights on a road glide to work with, so to clear the fairing support brackets you have to offset the projectors up and out. I’m in the middle of the project right now and it’s taking a LOT longer than I had planned on. Taking pictures though
well, first of all I suspected that the morimoto mini's weren't going to fit when PC PaiN posted that the depth of the road Glide headlight housing was about 3.5"... the morimoto mini is longer than that...
I posted a HID projector (in post #28) that was only 3.2" long, so it WILL fit in the Road Glide headlamp housing and once it's installed it should fit the depth of the fairing just like the existing bulbs do, so no need to offset anything. the only problem is that the HD medallion is in the way of the projector, even after you remove the medallion the impression is still in the way... PC PaiN is right in that we would need older Road Glide headlamp housings that do not have the medallion or the impression.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:40 PM
Pc PaiN
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DSTIMPLE
Would love to see photos of this. Here is a photo a guy posted on roadglide forums

Old 10-28-2011, 11:32 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

the only problem is that the HD medallion is in the way of the projector, even after you remove the medallion the impression is still in the way... PC PaiN is right in that we would need older Road Glide headlamp housings that do not have the medallion or the impression.
It seems that if you are using the Morimoto Minis you could just cut a hole in the lens and let the projector protrude. I can tell you though that I am sure glad I never trashed that headlamp housing that I took off my '04 RG.

Quick Reply: projector headlight retro fit