Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let me try rephrasing the question about antenna

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 10:40 AM
HogglyWoggly
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Let me try rephrasing the question about antenna

I want to move the stock whip antenna into the fairing on an Ultra Classic. The little plastic gizmos that the antennas screw onto on the tour pack are not removable. The ends of the coax plug onto the other side of the little gizmo (technical term) inside the tour pack.
What is the cheapest way to connect the coax to the screw on base of the antenna? Is there some type of adapter I can buy?
The two J&M antennas (CB/AM/FM/WB) are like $190 and the forum posts seem to indicate mixed review so I thought I just try stock antenna.

Sincerely appreciate any thoughts/suggestions on this.

-Carl

Old 10-18-2011, 11:38 AM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 305 Posts

Not quite sure what you have in mind here. Are you saying you want to replace the whip antenna with a inner fairing antenna? You can simply buy one of the many passive style antennas that don't take up too much room inside the fairing. I have an Ultra with a quick disconnect on the King Tour Pak and I have removed one whip and replaced it with an inner fairing type as mentioned. The other TP antenna is for the CB and it has a shorty mounted on it. With the TP removed I have no CB. Also the inner fairing antennas don't really perform that well but they are adequate. I also use an Ipod and have an XM Satellite radio on board so I don't much lack for listening options.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:48 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

I think I understand what you are wanting to do. Are you trying to find a way to move the actual whip antenna inside the fairing? and curl it around inside? The first place I would go to try and find the "gizmo" would be radio shack. Bring them your whip antenna, and they should have a way for you to connect it to your radio.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:50 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

open the fairing- look at the back of the radio- go to pepboys or other auto parts store, and buy the am/fm stubby that fits the plug--- run you about $10.

1.) reception will be worse if you are away from town.

2.) try to mount vertically, it makes a difference

( I use a stubby mounted by the saddlebag, using the mount that came with the detachable kit, if going out of town, I screw the stock tall antenna on the post.--- with the tour pak off- it won't fit with the tour pak on.
but i usually use my ipod when I am out of town anyway, i use use the fm radio for short trips around town)

cb radio- if you use it ( most don't seem to)- then that's another issue and maybe you can relocate to the mount down by the saddlebag.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 10-18-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Matt0987
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any thoughts and suggestions....

Would this be a permanant change? That the antenna(s) would always be in the fairing? If you are not looking to be able to reinstall the antenna(s) onto the TP connectors in the future you could make up your own connectors.

Do you know a ham (amateur) radio operator? They use a couple of different types of connectors when they make up antenna cables.

I put a ham radio onto my RKC using a PL259 connector, a barrell connector, and a bracket I manufactured in my garage where the cable connects to the antenna cable.

There is a company called "Ham Radio Outlet" that sells such things. They have a web presence. But, you probably would be best to get together with a buddy who is a ham and come up with a solution.

I do not see your location indicated at the upper right corner of your post so I do not know where to suggest you look for a ham store. I suspect that if you took your bike to a ham store, no not a computer store, not a Fry's Electronics store, a ham radio equipment store, you could show someone there what you are trying to accomplish and you might get some answers.

As previously mentioned, you should have it mounted vertically.

Not knowing the reason for this change I can not suggest an alternative. However, a Street Glide has a set up where the antenna(s) mount to the sides of the rear fender. Though the higher the better. One of the reasons for the other tourers having the antenna(s) attached to the TP. Of course, if cost is a concern, this might not be for you.

Last edited by Matt0987; 10-18-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:02 PM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I did exactly what you are speaking of & it works great! Two short sections of coax came with the tour pac quick disconnect kit to be used for relocating the antennas from the tour pac to the frame with the tour pac off. I moved the stock whip antennas inside the fairing using these short pieces of coax to connect the antennas to the radio. They can be purchased at any radio shack or at most auto parts stores. Ace Hardware stores have a fastener section now aimed at bikers. I went there & purchased 2 stainless steel acorn nuts, 2 regular stainless steel nuts & 2 stainless steel lock washers to cover the studs on the tour pac where the antennas screwed on it. Looks pretty good IMO.

Last edited by DHubbs; 10-18-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:03 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

You can get everything you need at an auto parts store. I bought a universal car antenna kit and just used the adapter and cable from the kit.

Here's a link to a thread that describes the process pretty well. I have a few posts in the thread.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...t-glide-2.html

One other thing I did that isn't shown in my posts there, is added a ground wire to the base of the antenna mount.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:03 PM
HogglyWoggly
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Great...thanks for the information. I've got pullback bars and an oil temp gauge in the barn and really wanted to move the antennas while I had the fairing off. For me this would be a permanent change. I like to use a bike cover and get tired of taking the antenna off/on just for the cover to fit.
I have read so many reviews of the in-fairing antennas that don't work very well it just seemed a logical (and cheap) option to just move the stock antennas in there.
My local stealership is not much on talking about rigging something if there's no money in it for them.
More suggestions appreciated also.

Thanks.

-Carl

Old 10-18-2011, 03:15 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just as a note...Radio Shack doesn't have much in the way of automotive type electronics. At least the stores in my area. They do have lots of cell phones though.