Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB Comm, phone, Bluetooth, etc. hookup

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 10:10 AM
T_om
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CB Comm, phone, Bluetooth, etc. hookup

I have never had a helmet mounted comm system so will ask for recommendations here.

I need a unit that will handle it all... Bluetooth to phone, GPS, portable CB, helmet to helmet comm, motorcycle to motorcycle comm, and MP3 player.

All my riding buddies have Geezer Glides with several square miles of fiberglass as well as mounting space galore, etc. None of their solutions seem appropriate.

I have a 2008 Road King Classic, no fairing but a huge T-Bags windshield bag that I can drop a small hand-held CB radio in for comms during our group rides. I know the hand-held has limited range but that will be fine as we are not to trying to talk for miles and miles. I also have a handlebar mounted Garmin and a cell phone that is Bluetooth compatible. Also a small MP3 player, but my phone also handles MP3's too.

How can I make all the stuff work together? Please write as if directing your comments to a 12 year old, I do not know squat about this stuff.

Recommendations for the following appreciated:

1. We wear pudding bowl helmets (half-helmet touring style). So need a set of speakers that will fit as well as a boom mike. Ear buds are not allowed in some states. Will change helmets to ones that cover the ears (3/4 style for example) if absolutely necessary to mount speakers but would MUCH prefer not to do that here in hot-as-hades Florida.

2. Unified control box if possible/necessary.

3. Compatible wiring between functions/pieces.

4. Last, at one point in my life we were so poor that I gave the buffaloes on the back of all my nickles pet names. That is not the case now however, so I am not necessarily looking for the cheapest solution. I just want something that works reliably and well. Not saying "money is no object", but it is not the deciding factor.

Thanks for any light you an shed on this.

Tom

Old 10-18-2011, 03:12 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check the J&M web site.
They have set ups and wiring to add a lot of the items you want.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:53 AM
T_om
Intermediate

I took a look there, as well as looking at the many posts on the forum. But I guess I am missing the part that pulls it all together. Almost all that stuff (and the forum posts) seem to center around function-specific solutions. i.e., helmet-to-helmet, bike-to-bike, Bluetooth, etc., all individually.

I was wanting to tie them all together if possible.

Tom

Old 10-19-2011, 09:19 AM
idontknow
Advanced

I think you can make it all work through bluetooth technology except possibly the handheld CB. I know that some phones like Iphone have navigation, music and of course the phone. Get a bluetooth device that mounts on your helmet sinc it up and go from there. I have been looking at the SENA device that big ears markets. Give Glenn a call and see what he can do for you. He seems pretty sharp on all this stuff and those folks are easy to work with and can talk in 12yo ease. Hope this helps.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:21 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Call J&M--website info is great, but they typically can't anticipate all the specific applications, so talking to a knowledgeable rep can be helpful. J&M offers "integrator" products to work with CB, bluetooth, etc., but for CB you'll need to use their handlebar mounted product (which is probably the best CB solution operationally, but was unsatisfactory for me because of the handlebar mounting--after trying handhelds, I installed the HD Harman Kardon head unit, CB module, etc. on my '04 EG).

Good luck with your quest.

Carl

Old 10-19-2011, 12:32 PM
WZ4I
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T_om
I have never had a helmet mounted comm system so will ask for recommendations here.

I need a unit that will handle it all... Bluetooth to phone, GPS, portable CB, helmet to helmet comm, motorcycle to motorcycle comm, and MP3 player.

Tom
Sena SMH10, along with the just released Sena SR10. Will do everything you just asked for WITHOUT any wires connected to your helmet, and more... http://www.senabluetooth.com/

Last edited by WZ4I; 10-19-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:52 PM
WZ4I
Cruiser

Can swap out the ham radio for a portable CB in about 1 minute.

What you can't see is the Beltronics radar detector hidden under the farring. All connected via Bluetooth to my helmet. Bike to bike or rider to passenger via bluetooth, MP3 or streaming 3G/4G internet radio, live weather radar, GPS, phone, CB or FRS transceiver, radar detection, and still have an input on the Sena SR10 for one more device. All controlled by 2 buttons on my helmet, plus a PTT switch on the left hand grip.

Attached Thumbnails CB Comm, phone, Bluetooth, etc. hookup-1.jpg   CB Comm, phone, Bluetooth, etc. hookup-2.jpg  
Old 10-19-2011, 06:40 PM
gwvulcan
Cruiser

Maybe you should consider a minicooper? The point of riding is to get away, not to be digitally connect.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:48 PM
FL-kruzen
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Sena SMH 10

I did a loto of looking abd research on this very same issue. I choose the Sena SMH 10 head blue tooth head sets. (http://www.senabluetooth.com/product..._menu=overview)

I have been very pleased with them and their capabilities. I where a half helmet and my wife wear a 3/4 helmet. It easily pairs with my IPhone and I can answer and place calls hands free. And now, with the IPhone 4S with siri, it's even better. You can pair mutiple devices. Sena also has another gadget that does so really neat thing. Check it out.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:00 PM
WZ4I
Cruiser
Talking

Originally Posted by gwvulcan
Maybe you should consider a minicooper? The point of riding is to get away, not to be digitally connect.
I only ride a couple of hundred miles a year. Now I don't get lost

Thanks for your concern..

Last edited by WZ4I; 10-19-2011 at 07:11 PM.

Quick Reply: CB Comm, phone, Bluetooth, etc. hookup