Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 08:57 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,217 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
So everyone's going with the 32oz even though the manual says 38oz, is that correct?
The OP has a 2005 which is 32oz. The TC96's take 38oz.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:57 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dump in ONE quart and don't listen to the post from guys with newer bikes.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:59 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Correct !.......32oz. and yur good to go, been doing that for about 30 yrs. No problems what so ever.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:00 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
So everyone's going with the 32oz even though the manual says 38oz, is that correct?
There was a change in model years (I think '09 and up but you'd have to verify that). 38oz is correct for the later models. The OPs bike is an '05.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:10 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,342 Likes on 2,529 Posts

Originally Posted by z71_fourwheelin
on a 2010 its supposed to be 38 fl oz
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
This is a big inconsistency. The way I see it....if you fire up your bike and drive it around the block, then rush to do the primary you could get by with 32oz becuase there's splashy splashy oil all over the inside of the primary. But if you let the bike sit for a while and everything drains back down to the sump, then you are looking at 38oz. I once measured what it would take to get the oil to touch the reference point and I was well over 42oz. Main thing is that too much oil and neutral will be a bear to find since you won't have proper clutch disengagement. 38oz seems not to interfere with neutral.

his bike is a 2005. different spec.

*edit* others brought that up the same time that i was typing.....

Last edited by skratch; 10-17-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:35 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Electra1
Okay, I have a stupid question, but I am a little confused with adding fluid to my primary on a 2005 FLHTCUI. Have service manual and owners manual and both state to add fluid to the primary with bike standing straight up not on jiffy stand. Add fluid till you see it and not over spring. Approximately 32 oz. Okay, I added a full quart of fluid. Can not see it anywhere at the bottom of the primary nor touching bottom of spring. So I keep adding just a little at a time up to about another half quart and still can not see fluid. Took it off of stand and put back on jiffy stand and while it is leaning I think I might be able to see something, but not a clear level. Anyway, I poured the old oil that was drained in an empty quard container and it was right at 32 oz. ??? Do you just put in 1 quart and call it good or do you have to have it filled till you see it at the bottom of the spring? Took it for a ride and it shifted fine and found nautral with no problem. Seemed to even shift smoother then before, but I don't want to hurt anything if I put to much in. Thanks for any advice and if you feel you need to flame then go for it.
Electra1
I check it on side stand, if you did a drain on the primary your model calls for 32 0z, that is what I would put in, and not bring it up to the clutch on the side stand. It will be fine

Old 10-17-2011, 09:47 PM
wlibert
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default I'm taking my on route on this one - flame suit on

Here's what I do, everyone else can do what they want. I've found that if I add fluid to my primary until the tensioner pad is covered with fluid as well as half way up a chain link as it lays horizontally on top of the tensioner pad, my primary noises are silenced almost completely.

Why have I chosen this route? Well, after swapping out my stock compensator at ~10k miles and installing a an SE compensator in its place I noticed that the tensioner had what I consider excessive wear for ~10k miles. When filling the primary after the swap with the bike straight up, I noticed that a dry fill (45oz. I believe) didn't cover the tensioner with fluid so I decided to experiment. I buttoned everything up and took her for a ride. The prmary was pretty noisy. So I put her back on the lift, pulled the derby cover, and added more fluid until I achieved the fill level above in the first paragraph. Buttoned it up again and hit the road. Everything was much quieter.

I ran the bike that way for my 6k mile trip to Colorado, Wyoming, and Sturgis and the primary noise was non-existent. I just serviced the bike again and followed the same fill procedure filling the primary, fired it up, and hit the road and the primary noises are still much quieter.

I sticking with this primary fill procedure for the life of the bike just to see how it goes.

Ride and enjoy!

Old 10-17-2011, 09:59 PM
JetD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Owner's Manual states: 1.40 qts US (44.8 oz. US) APPROXIMATELY
My Service Manual states: 38 oz US (1.20 qts US) APPROXIMATELY

Last edited by JetD; 03-20-2013 at 10:16 PM. Reason: added detail
Old 10-17-2011, 10:54 PM
Electra1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice. Mine states 32oz, but even with the quart and a half of fluid in the primary and on it's jiffy stand you still can not see it hitting the bottom of the spring. I am sure it is, but I sure can not see it. It does shift better / smoother. Not sure why they would show a picture of fluid at the bottom of the spring in the manual when adding 32oz of fluid, when it doesn't fill that far. Instead it doesn't even come close. Little confusing.

If you do over fill by a half a quart what, if any damage can you do? I know neutral might be hard to find, but other then that is there anything more that could be damaged?

Last edited by Electra1; 10-17-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:19 PM
murlsquirl
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always dumped a quart in my bikes and have never had a problem.

Quick Reply: Primary fluid change