Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 10:59 AM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

as my riding days are turning into evenings and dark mornings I have been contemplating a lighting upgrade for my 06 Ultra. Was consdidering this from Harley - 67700032 dual bulb halogen headlight kit.
A little more pricey then switching out just the bulb, but if their chart is accurate, it would be a pretty good upgrade. Would look at simple bulb replacement for the spot lights, probably.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...1&default=none

Old 10-18-2011, 12:43 PM
X Iron Butt
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by stu07hd
Here is a previous post of mine with what I did. I am still very happy with the results with what I did.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...eadlights.html
This is not the Silverstar I bought or compared the internal structure to the HD stock bulb in my post. This is the standard Silverstar. According to Sylvania's website the Ultra has just recently been released in the 9003/H4 series. Huge internal structural difference.
I just did a current draw on my bench and both the stock HD bulb and the Ultra were the same 4.2A low 4.6A high
BTW current draw is relavent to the wattage P=EI so it makes sense they are the same as stock bulb 60/55. This rating means 60watts low beam 55 watts high beam and is the street legal limit in the US ( I know so what). Most melting occurs when you increase the 60/55 rating.
I have 900 miles of killer night vision on mine now so I guess I will have to SEE what happens on the life cycle.
I bought the e bay bulbs for the passing lights because of your post and you were right.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:53 PM
EasternSP
Banned

Received 24,867 Likes on 9,332 Posts

You might do yourself a favor and go to HID lighting. Hands down, much brighter than the HD PIAA lamps and they draw less power than the Sylvania Bright stars. They will last many times longer than the filiment bulbs and are easy to install.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:00 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Another vote for the Hella E-code + 80/100 bulb, the sylvanias come in a powersport version, more expensive but more rugged construction and vibe resistant

Old 10-18-2011, 03:29 PM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Kind of wondering if this would not be a good option - HID light kit from baggersplus.
A lot cheaper than the harley option, a little more than just a replacement with better bulbs, uses less energy and runs cooler.
An engineer where I work said when the company switched to HID lights for our landing lights, we were able to drop down to a 5 amp circuit breaker from a 35 amp and produced substantially better light.

http://twrbaggersplus.com/HID%20BI-xenon.html

Old 10-18-2011, 04:11 PM
pworks
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just installed the TRWBagger Hid 35Watt 6000K unit on mine and it really produces a very visible white light, especially in daylight. I also have the dogeye led's in the turnsignals and the HID matches the white light from them well.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:22 PM
honorsdaddy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leadman
Are the Silverstars any better than stock?
A candle is better than stock...

Old 10-18-2011, 04:30 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

I just went 100% LED on my '06 SG. Kuryakyn (Truck Light) headlight, Custom dynamics front and rear turn signals, Harley led passing lamps and Brightass tail light. all plug and play, easy install.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:49 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

This is the German one that I was talking about earlier and I found the link, it's the 3rd one down on the list. You might have to take a pair of scissors and trim off the odd tab. Great light ! it's a 80/100. I've had them before and never had one burn out on me after thousands of miles.
http://www.germanautoparts.com/Hardware/Bulbs/H4

Old 10-19-2011, 08:52 AM
Mikey V
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use HELLA brand H-4 bulbs. They are 55W/100W. Bought them on EBay for $3.00 shipped. The bulb will NOT over load the headlamps circuit; it hasnt on my 07 or 11 Electraglides, anyhow. Search H-4 bulbs

Quick Reply: headlight replacement