Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

decent reasonably priced bike jack?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 04:31 AM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a pit bull a great jack with no tie down straps on it I can climb on the bike on one side and off on the other. There is no logical reason to do this except to prove how stable the jack is. the last thing I want is my bike on its side on the floor.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:37 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts

Originally Posted by hockey8787
Those are the ones that believe that if you take a shower while it's lightening you will get struck, Show me some news clips of them as well!! Never heard of it happening to anyone!!
It didnt happen to me because I got rid of it after I had the bike up on it 2 times, the sears yellow jack was freakin scary. No issues with the rock solid J&S jack.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:24 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I may regret it some day but I've had pretty good luck with my Red Craftsman lift I've been using since 2005.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:47 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This question comes up all the time and so do the same responses. I have used the red craftsman since 2008 and so far it works perfectly for all my needs. I say it would depend on your needs. If you do things like clean it, change oil, add pretty parts, change tires, or any other general work, not a complete retard(applies to more than you think) and you will not leave the bike up for extended periods ripped apart than something like the red jack will work fine.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:34 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CT-Bagger
It's the same receipe to anything in life:
Junk in = junk out.
Cheap people are a real joke in life.
So you are a joke if you dont spend more money? Way to measure a persons character. What a tool.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:53 AM
Harleybike
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by captjon37
and you will not leave the bike up for extended periods ripped apart than something like the red jack will work fine.

I have done all the bike work on the Craftsman red jack as well as stored my bike for the winter on it with absolutely no issues since 2002. I use the lock outs to take the pressure of the bottle. The straps are still wrapped up. It's very sturdy. No need to spend over $100 ish.

Last edited by Harleybike; 10-17-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:05 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I killed a Craftsman Red jack in about two years. Jack itself just quit lifting. was happy with it until that point. Replaced it with the Yellow Aluminum one and it works fine on my Road King. It is not rock steady like a J&S or similar but the bike is not going to go anywhere. I can roll it around while up in the air but it takes two hands. What I really want is a lift table. That would be the best thing.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:23 PM
mike1158
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just got an add i the mail for HF.... i can get that yellow jack for $60 !

i gotta think that from what i've read either that one or the Craftsman would be fine...

i have a couple projects that i wanna do..and maybe use it 2-3 times a year for cleaning...... can't really see spending $300-$400 on a lift for that...i'm sure they are quality..probably better quality.. i know you get what you pay for...but there is also the point of buying what you NEED..not just buying the best cuz its the best..
i also don't really have a ton of room in my garage..so having some 4'x'4 150# contraption in my garage that i only use every few months doesn't really interest me...
if i had a ton or cash and a ton or space i would get a table..but thats not the case..

it said the lift height is 16 inches...is that enough to swap out the rear wheel?

Old 10-17-2011, 09:07 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by baust55
i have the Harbor Freight lift . cost me $54 plus $8 tax with coupon

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb...lift-2792.html

Sturdy works great i use it with my 2008 flhrc , 1999fxr3 and 76fxe
+1 on the HF rig, but I suspect there's a lot of em in our circle.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:16 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1158
just got an add i the mail for HF.... i can get that yellow jack for $60 !

i gotta think that from what i've read either that one or the Craftsman would be fine...

i have a couple projects that i wanna do..and maybe use it 2-3 times a year for cleaning...... can't really see spending $300-$400 on a lift for that...i'm sure they are quality..probably better quality.. i know you get what you pay for...but there is also the point of buying what you NEED..not just buying the best cuz its the best..
i also don't really have a ton of room in my garage..so having some 4'x'4 150# contraption in my garage that i only use every few months doesn't really interest me...
if i had a ton or cash and a ton or space i would get a table..but thats not the case..

it said the lift height is 16 inches...is that enough to swap out the rear wheel?
It wasn't when I used it for my Yamaha and it wasn't as big as the RK so I would have to say no and the bike goes off balance as soon as the wheel comes off. I actually use mine more than I expected and eventually would like a lift table so i could drop the wheels with full confidence and having the bike up so I don't have to bend over it would be sweet also.

Quick Reply: decent reasonably priced bike jack?