Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil1 oil dark & thick after 2500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Udawg
HDF Community Team
Received 150 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Mobil1 oil dark & thick after 2500 miles

I had the dealer put in Mobil1 20w-50 at the 1k service. At the 5k service I did the oil change myself and when I drained the oil it was very dark and thick on a warm engine and I thought my dealer never changed the oil. I replaced it with Mobil1 20w-50 V-Twin and developed a leak around the oil filter so I removed the oil filter at 7200 miles and the oil is again very dark and really thick. It doesn't even resemble what I put in. Is it normal for synthetics to get thick after that short a time or is it just Mobil1? Anyone else checked how it thickens up so much?

Old 10-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That's just mobil 1. I hate the product and mobil unsavory business practices. Try amsoil.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:22 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Sounds like it didn't get changed. Syn oils have a good detergent package so eventually it will clean up. If it were me I would change my service intervle to 2500 miles till it gets cleaner.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:29 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Mobil 1 is darker than most oils right out of the bottle, so it will become black faster.

I run Amsoil and it is bright gold out of the bottle and these air cooled motors really benefit from them. Try Amsoil and see if you like the results. Run Amsoil's EA oil filter with the Amsoil 20W50 motorcycle oil for the best performing combo. Amsoil states 10K miles or one year before you have to change it which saves you time and money.

Hope this helps!

Shawn

Old 10-16-2011, 05:39 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

I wouldn't blame Mobil 1 though. My oil never gets darker than week coffee. I think once you service it a few times it will lighten up. A dark oil means its doing its job. And I don't care what oil you use as long as its changed regularly. All oil gets dark but black is not normal for a regular oil change on a newer bike.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:41 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you could switch to an oil that stayed clear as honey longer....but all that would mean is that the oil is not cleaning and instead is leaving deposits through out your engine. So basically, if the oil turns coal black its carrying away deposits. deposits can be caused by low octane gas and relatively low RPM ranges.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Udawg
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Mobil 1 is darker than most oils right out of the bottle, so it will become black faster.

I run Amsoil and it is bright gold out of the bottle and these air cooled motors really benefit from them. Try Amsoil and see if you like the results. Run Amsoil's EA oil filter with the Amsoil 20W50 motorcycle oil for the best performing combo. Amsoil states 10K miles or one year before you have to change it which saves you time and money.

Hope this helps!

Shawn
I think I'll give it a try next time. Thanks

Old 10-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Udawg
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by soft 02
I wouldn't blame Mobil 1 though. My oil never gets darker than week coffee. I think once you service it a few times it will lighten up. A dark oil means its doing its job. And I don't care what oil you use as long as its changed regularly. All oil gets dark but black is not normal for a regular oil change on a newer bike.
I really didn't think it was a Mobil1 problem, just curious if it was normal. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Udawg
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
you could switch to an oil that stayed clear as honey longer....but all that would mean is that the oil is not cleaning and instead is leaving deposits through out your engine. So basically, if the oil turns coal black its carrying away deposits. deposits can be caused by low octane gas and relatively low RPM ranges.
I use only the best gas I can find but I do live the the 2000-3000 rpm range. Maybe I need to blow it out a little.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:55 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Been using M1 V-Twin for 15+ years and it always gets a little darker. All oils do that, even the daunted Amzoil. If your oil isn't getting darker it isn't doing its job and shortening the change intervals won't change that aspect no matter which brand is used.
I've never noticed M1 getting thicker - always comes out the same as it went in except for the slightly darker color, same as any other oil I've ever used.

Quick Reply: Mobil1 oil dark & thick after 2500 miles