Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

forks question number 1, fugged fork cap threads....

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Eric The Welder
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default forks question number 1, fugged fork cap threads....

so the right side fork on my EG wouldnt budge, i i used an old plastic screwdriver handle and a hammer to kinda tap it out, will it worked, byt even though it was plastic it messed up the first thread or two and i didnt eve realize it til i had the fork cap 4 or 5 turns in. with that giant 1 3/8 wrench you hardly notice that it was going in tight.

anyway, i fihure i can just get a 16mm 1.50 thread fixxer kit. and clean them up. but im worried some tiny metal bits might get in to the forks in the proccess. im changing out the oil any way, i think almost all the oil is gone. i figure if i grease the tap up real goo it should grab most of the metal bit and pull them out with it. especially if i do this with the fork laying flat on a bench.

any ideas or concerns from you guys?

Old 10-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

What were you trying to accomplish - removing the entire fork leg? Re-installing the cap at the top of the tube? Your post is a little hard to interpret.
If you have plastic in the threads of either the cap or fork tube heating either up should make that plastic soften and easier to remove. I don't think I would use an open flame here, a heat gun should do the trick without bluing the fork tube.
Then be very careful when you re-start threading the cap back into the tube. I use a socket for this part. Start by turning the cap backwards to ensure you have it lined up squarely in the tube. Then turn it clockwise by hand - you'll know by feel if you have it right.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Eric The Welder
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no plastic. The first couple threads are damaged the cap won't thread back in. So I'm gonna have to repair the threads in the fork tube with a tap.