Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil coolers

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 10:27 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Actually, according to Harley-Davidson it starts opening at 185*F see P/N 26157-07 or 26157-11.

Also water does not evaporate at less than 212*F. A thermometer reads the "Average" temperature of something. Because some of the water molecules are moving fast (warmer) and others are moving slow (cooler) some may be moving at 212*F. Over time the molecules that are at 212*F and that are at the surface of the oil will "evaporate." However, the concentration of water in the oil will eventually stabilize at the same partial pressure as exists in the air surrounding the oil. The ONLY WAY that you can be sure that ALL of the water has been evaporated from the oil is when you see more than 212*F Oil Temperature. This is because the oil will NOT go over 212*F UNTIL all of the water is gone. You may have another opinion; but the laws of physics simply will not work for your opinion in this universe.
Also, the reason ice cubes get smaller in your fridge over time has to do with refrigerators that have auto defrost cycles . . . and the ice cubes get defrosted along with the rest of the freezer.
You might want to consult the Great Google or Wikipedia before you start quoting evaporation and sublimation laws of physics with such great confidence.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:41 AM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Water boils at 212 degrees at sea level. Lower ambient pressure lowers the boiling point. At 170 degrees, water will evaporate rapidly.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:44 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by z71_fourwheelin
Price versus results. I am one that believes not everything on my bike has to be made by the bar and shield
You think HD manufactures its oil coolers? I don't.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:03 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
You think HD manufactures its oil coolers? I don't.
Nope, they're made with child slave labor under deplorable human rights conditions in Indochilasia and Taiwanistan, but they are a little cheaper than the American made offerings.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:27 PM
z71_fourwheelin
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just didnt wanna pay over priced for underperformance... so the ref to bar and shield

Old 10-17-2011, 08:53 PM
joflewbyu2
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tj316
I took th HD one off my 103 and threw it in the trash , I did a write up on here on the Jagg, I installed the 1st Jagg fan assisted 10 row low mount they released , even without the fan the Jagg kept my temperature 20* minimum cooler than the HD unit , there are several reasons , the Jagg is 10 row HD 7 row , Harley tilts their coolers at a 15* angle , Jagg is not at an angle which forces more air actually through the cooler and last the interior design is completely different
The HD coolers are supplied by Jagg and do have the turbulators and same making. The 7 row is the Police HD version while the 6 row come on the civilian bikes. Jagg also made a 10 row for the Dynas a few years ago too. The OEM tilt mounting actually exposes more surface area to cool than the vertical mount.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:15 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by joflewbyu2
The HD coolers are supplied by Jagg and do have the turbulators and same making. The 7 row is the Police HD version while the 6 row come on the civilian bikes. Jagg also made a 10 row for the Dynas a few years ago too. The OEM tilt mounting actually exposes more surface area to cool than the vertical mount.
I think you may be ill informed on this one, Jagg and HD cooler construction are not even close to being the same.

extract from Jaggs FAQs page http://www.jagg.com/faq.html

23. Do you make oil coolers as private-label brands for other manufacturers?
No. Jagg is the most prominent aftermarket oil cooler brand, and it is the only brand that we produce.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:27 PM
Moneywoes
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil Bud oil cooler

If your going to take the time to put an oil cooler on, you may as well go ahead and put a good one on...

http://harleyoilcoolers.com/index.html

I don't know how much difference it made, I do know before I put it on this summer my bike was almost unrideable. The heat felt comming off the engine and the way the bike ran in in town stop and go traffic was very noticably better.

It is a pricy piece though

Old 10-17-2011, 10:00 PM
joflewbyu2
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
I think you may be ill informed on this one, Jagg and HD cooler construction are not even close to being the same.

extract from Jaggs FAQs page http://www.jagg.com/faq.html

23. Do you make oil coolers as private-label brands for other manufacturers?
No. Jagg is the most prominent aftermarket oil cooler brand, and it is the only brand that we produce.
Funny how Jagg states:
"Jagg Oil Coolers employ an in-line turbulator (see image below) to gently stir the fluid being cooled thereby insuring that the fluid has exposure to the entire internal surface area of the oil cooler with the least pressure loss. Pioneers of efficient turbulator design, Jagg turbulators are fully brazed to the entire internal length of the tube resulting in “zero” heat transfer barrier and high strength."

While Harley states:
"This oil cooler was designed specifically for Harley-Davidson® to out-perform all others. The cooler features a unique "Turbulator" system that evenly distributes oil across the cooling chambers, and the air fins are designed to efficiently dissipate heat."

Enough to cause confusion. I am just glad to have an oil cooler, syn 3, loss of catalyst and closed loop tuning to cool her down.

Last edited by joflewbyu2; 10-17-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:36 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

I disagree , I spoke to Marv at Jagg , they made Harley's in the past but not for awhile and it was made to HD's specs , Marv was against the tilt as his testing showed it put less air through it but Harley liked the look of the design better , the ones Jagg made do have turbulators in them , the current none Jagg units do not , look I rode from Florida to North Carolina and at highway speed if I ran above 75 mph my oil temperature ran about 250* + and that was moving , I called Marv while in North Carolina and he sold me the new unit before it was released yet , I got back to Florida installed the Jagg and weeks later made the same trip , my bike never got over 225* , I think I have a fair comparison of the 2 units on the same bike weeks apart
Originally Posted by joflewbyu2