Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First, thanks to all who helped me. Second, how does it look?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 10:38 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

When you get the money, I'd paint the fairing to match the bike.
I'd leave the bike's sheet metal alone.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:48 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,540 Likes on 22,683 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
Yep on that one too.
Not only that but far less $ than painting the whole bike and a lot less hassle.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:12 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
I agree.

If you want a relatively inexpensive way to temporally add color until you can afford to get it professionally painted, you can buy some rattle cans of Mandarin orange from your HD dealer or from colrite. It wont be perfect but it would be better then black.

Looking good!

Old 10-16-2011, 12:31 PM
vegasjones
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, thanks for all the response guys. I'm definitely happy with the fairing and the general look of it so I know I'm definitely keeping it on for good. The professional paint job to match will come down the road for sure. I just wanted to see if I would look like an absolute fool rolling it like that.

I actually just called the HD dealer and checked colorrite's website and neither one can get the rattle cans of Mandarin Orange, just an out dated and undesirable color I guess. The HD dealer can get it by the quart and I'm thinking since it's such a small job I may just get a handheld sprayer and go to work on it that way.

I love the look in that photoshop job. I saved that to reference later. Thanks for throwing that together.

The best part of it all is that it's a gorgeous day out here in Vegas and time for a ride!! You all have a great Sunday afternoon.

Last edited by vegasjones; 10-16-2011 at 12:39 PM. Reason: edit
Old 10-16-2011, 01:55 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Easiest and cheapest just to paint the fairing orange to match. Otherwise, you're pulling all your sheetmetal to add black, and before you know it, you've got 1500 bucks in paint.

And, no, I wouldn't leave the fairing black with the orange bike.

I ran my bike for awhile with a black fairing and black lowers on a green bike. The colors were complimentary, but the bike just looked unfinished.

I put black bags on it, but it still looked like it was pieced together from parts from different bikes

So I swapped tins for a set of Cobalt Blue tins from a 05 Road King. The gas tank was white on the bottom, so I had that chan ged to black. Had the fairing painted two-tone blue and black, but left the bags black, and the side covers and fenders solid blue

Still not right, finally had the bags and side covers painted two-tone, and the bike finally came together. My fenders are still solid blue, and the lowers are solid black, but it doesn't look disjointed. One of these days, I'm going to re-do the rear of the bike, add saddlebag extensions and a different rear fender, but for now, it's presentable, and a long way from the ex-cop Road King I picked up off ebay.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:56 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Put a nice big Halloween pumpkin decal on the front and you'll be good to go for fall riding !

Old 10-16-2011, 03:32 PM
ThePointman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you did a great job and it looks fine the way it is. Ride it and be proud of yourself for making something your own. Good on ya!

Old 10-16-2011, 03:46 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Go to the dealer if that is a factory orange, and see if they have touch up paint in rattle cans, if so buy a couple , and some 320grit and some 400 and 600 grit wet , sand it real well and paint it, probably cost you under $80.00 and some time.
Put on about 4 coats, 2 dryish ones and 2 wetter ones, allow about 10 minutes between coats.
Cheap, and you can have it painted later if you don't like the job you do.
Remember the paint jobs is made in the prep, sanding, remember to buy a tac rag ,and some wax, and grease remover to clean the surface before paint.
I painted a buddy's faring , for his road king, I used rattle can , and people freak out when he tells them it is rattle can.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:55 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,661 Likes on 2,538 Posts

Actually, I thought it looked great even before you asked the question. Leave it just like that. Also, I've been toying with the idea of ordering vivid black side covers to go with my white gold RoadKing. have you considered black sidecovers? Reason I ask is that I only like RoadKing Classics, 'cause otherwise it's too much "paint" with hard bags. With black side covers, there's even less "paint". Plus, side covers look ricey;paintin' 'em black will hide 'em a little, the same way fat chicks wear black to hide their rotundity. They would match your fairing & your seat. But it looks great the way it is.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:24 PM
05FLHTC
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good to me!

It's nice to see something a tad out of the norm.

Ride & Enjoy

Quick Reply: First, thanks to all who helped me. Second, how does it look?