Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speaker upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 11:02 AM
hdman6
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Question speaker upgrades

Ok, I have a 2008 ultra anniversary. I just finished installing the tour pak hinges thanks to this forum. I also have a new painted inner fairing on order. So I was thinking of upgrading the stock speakers to a better set. I was either going to install them when i replace my fairing or wait until ai go to Laconia NH bike week next june and get the J&M's there installed. But can I run with the stock HK stereo without a amp? then maybe down the road add a amp i I want to? thanks Jeff

Old 10-15-2011, 11:11 AM
pdzani
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put 4 hogtunes speakers in my 09 ultra without an amp, sounds great on the highway as well, big improvement over stock and the price is reasonable.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:16 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

there is an audio forum elsewhere on the site, where expert advice ( possibly) is available.
My background is in concert sound.

The Harley stereo needs 2 ohm speakers, the more common 4 or 8 ohm speakers will damage the stereo.
Most of the aftermarket speaker kits, further require an amplifier.

I would suggest thinking about adding earbuds for long hiway trips, they keep the music in and the road noise out-- supplying some hearing protection. It is not difficult to wire a jack into the stock stereo that'll supply ear buds--- cost under $15.

For speakers; for short trips and around town, i find the stock speakers pretty good.

The H-D "boom" speakers seem to be a liitle better for tonality-- and they will work with your stereo requiring no further amps or changes- and they plug right in.( but I don't see specs published on the website)

If you shop around speakers, look at the specs- the "watts" rating means only what power the speakers can absorb, no corelation to the amount of music produced per watt for that:

look for senstivity rating expressed as X dB at 1 watt at 1 meter

that tells us that if 1 watt power is applied to the speaker, a measurement at 1 meter is X.

92 dB is average, 98 dB would be more than twice as loud--- at the exact same amp volume setting.

so look for speakers that make better use of the power your already paid for stereo puts out.

The hogtunes mentioned above have a sensitivity of 92 dB.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 10-15-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:27 AM
hdman6
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Thumbs up

I was just looking at the hog tunes web site They seem a little better priced and can stay with the stock speaker grills etc. I don't know if they go to the rallies, Laconia, etc. I'll have to check next spring. I may go with hog tunes as long as i have the option to upgrade with a amp if needed at a later date. Thanks Jeff

Old 10-15-2011, 11:43 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

I am very pleased with my J&M Rokkers and Bazooka 200.4 amp. Got them done at once so I can't comment about how it sounds without the amp.
What I can tell you is my bike ROCKS!
As long as you have the fairing open and are tearing apart the stereo wiring, I would go ahead and do the amp at the same time...
Two birds with one stone...

Old 10-15-2011, 02:14 PM
rallyrat
Advanced

Have the same bike and put the Hogtunes ultra kit in this spring with the pod, am very happy with the set up with out spending a ton of $$. Pez at Hogtunes was great to work with. Check them out you'll be happy with the improvement.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:56 PM
HFS
Club Member
Received 339 Likes on 205 Posts

I went Hawg wired, the easy 2 speaker and amp kit. It kicks a$$. Just another one to consider.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:26 AM
Fosgate77
Intermediate

Anyone using kickers? Worth 250

Old 10-16-2011, 08:54 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

mkguitar ,,,,

Please take no offense but you are mistaken when it comes to the rated ohms of various speakers, an what will damage what ,,,,

The Harley radio, or ANY radio or amplifier that is designed to run speakers with an impedance as low as 2-ohms, will run just fine with any speaker that is spec'd at 2-ohms impedance or HIGHER ,,,,,

this means you can use a 4-ohm speaker, an 8-ohm speaker, even a 50-ohm speaker would be fine ,,,, the only change would be LESS volume as compared to a speaker of lower impedance, when connected to the same amplifier ,,,,

the Harley radio for the 1998-2005 baggers was rated for speakers that have an impedance of 8-ohms but not any LOWER than that ,,,, but you could use a 16 or 50-ohm speaker on the older radio without problems, just not speakers rated any LOWER than 8-ohms ,,,,,

Old 10-16-2011, 10:12 AM
990rtracer
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 18 Posts

Any comments on the Harley boom speakers? Thinking of those as I have some chrome cash to use up.

Quick Reply: speaker upgrades