Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PYO MBB Handlebar height.....I Know....I Know.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 10:55 AM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PYO MBB Handlebar height.....I Know....I Know.......

I know this has been beaten to death, and I have searched and read a ton of threads, but my situation is slightly different.

I am changing up my Ultra, so just moving from the factory seat to a stock SG/RG which is my plan will sit me lower. I am debating between the 12" and 14" Monkey Bars, and really torn. Almost everyone who has the 12" bars has posted they wish they had gone 14" or that they will soon be swapping to 14". At the same time a bunch of people are commenting on how the bars are taller than advertised. Then I look at pictures in threads, and some guys 12" bars look higher than the next guys and vice versa. And comparing the same bars.

For point of reference, I'm 5'11", 235 lbs, with a shirt sleeve of 36". My wing span middle finger to middle finger is 74.5" (6'2.5").

This is gonna be a hefty investment and I just want to get it right the first time, too much $$ involved to screw it up lol.

Thanks

Old 10-14-2011, 01:58 PM
henshman
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default same issue

I hear you...I am worse off, 10,12,14...I am going to narrow down to two sizes order both and then prob pay the restock fee...I also like the Todd's Cycle Stripper bars, they come in 12" too!
My bike is even in yet, I still need to measure.
good luck

Old 10-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 2,847 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire-Medic
I am changing up my Ultra, so just moving from the factory seat to a stock SG/RG which is my plan will sit me lower. I am debating between the 12" and 14" Monkey Bars, and really torn. Almost everyone who has the 12" bars has posted they wish they had gone 14" or that they will soon be swapping to 14.
Not me. I have the 12" Monkey Bars, and they fit me perfect.

It all depends what you're looking for…do you want your hands above your shoulders, at shoulder height, or below? This will all be based on your sitting height with your new seat. Everyone's body is different. I'm 6' 1", with long legs, and a short trunk, and the 12" bars are right at shoulder height for me (with a Mustang seat).

If you like your hands slightly above the fairing (in the wind), the 12" will probably do the job. The 10" bars are slightly below the fairing, and your hands will be protected from the wind. On a Streetglide, your hands will block the fairing mounted mirrors with the 10" bars…not so with the 12 inchers.

Try sitting on your bike with the new seat, and hold your hands out where you want them to be. If they're below the fairing, go for the 10 inchers, if they are a little above the fairing, the 12 inchers should work, and if they're well above the fairing, the 14 or 16 inchers may be your bars of choice. Good luck.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior

Bronson thanks for the reply, and nice looking bike.

The 10's are not a consideration for me. I don't care anymore about above fairing because when I hold my hands out they're over the fairing. The stock bars for me are too low and have too much pullback. Plus the 10" are not much higher than stock, I wouldn't toss the cash out for basically the same thing, just me.

I don't have the new seat yet, currently trying to find me 2010/2011 stock SG/RG seat to send to MCC. With the current seat holding a broom at 12 and 14 both are shoulder height, but I do not know what would happen with the lower seat.

That's why I was hoping for a SG owner with a similar build to me would chime in.

I am going to un-geezer my glide, even though a couple of people think I am nuts, it will be going through a huge transformation but little by little. The new wheels and the bars and seat will be first.

Thanks
FM

Old 10-14-2011, 05:18 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Had a forum member drop off my SG at the dealer today for.me so the 12 pyo bars, chrome lowers and inner faring could get installed.with a set of agitator.rims. I can let you know next week end how it feels with the 12s

Last edited by hog95023; 10-14-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:39 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Here's a couple of pics.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...hose-apes.html

The main reason you see variation on the pics of MBBs is that guys push them more or less forward. The 12s pushed forward like I have them are about the same as 14s I've seen on other bikes. Your hands will be about 3" above the fairing. I like them very much and there is no way I would voluntarily change them. That said, in hindsight I would have gone with the 14s just because I would like higher bars. I'm 5'10" with short legs 32" inseam. My seat drops me about an inch and moves me back an inch. These are about eve with my shoulders. see the pic in the link and attached.

Attached Thumbnails PYO MBB Handlebar height.....I Know....I Know.......-p1220002.jpg   PYO MBB Handlebar height.....I Know....I Know.......-apes.jpg   PYO MBB Handlebar height.....I Know....I Know.......-p1220009.jpg  
Old 10-14-2011, 05:43 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SG_Dave
Here's a couple of pics.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...hose-apes.html

The main reason you see variation on the pics of MBBs is that guys push them more or less forward. The 12s pushed forward like I have them are about the same as 14s I've seen on other bikes. Your hands will be about 3" above the fairing. I like them very much and there is no way I would voluntarily change them. That said, in hindsight I would have gone with the 14s just because I would like higher bars. I'm 5'10" with short legs 32" inseam. My seat drops me about an inch and moves me back an inch. These are about eve with my shoulders. see the pic in the link and attached.
Thank you very much Dave, this is exactly the information I was looking for. I am 5'11 with 32" inseam but long arms 36" sleeve.

I guess I might be inclined to get the 14's now as they would give me more adjustability when pulling back or going forward.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:50 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire-Medic
Thank you very much Dave, this is exactly the information I was looking for. I am 5'11 with 32" inseam but long arms 36" sleeve.

I guess I might be inclined to get the 14's now as they would give me more adjustability when pulling back or going forward.
In the long run you'll be happier. You will have to extend wires with the 14s, with the 12s (just cables) you don't. Make sure you get the SE TBW and poly bushings. I've seen some ultras with quick detach tour packs (off) and cool seats and wheels and they look great.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SG_Dave
In the long run you'll be happier. You will have to extend wires with the 14s, with the 12s (just cables) you don't. Make sure you get the SE TBW and poly bushings. I've seen some ultras with quick detach tour packs (off) and cool seats and wheels and they look great.
Thanks brother I will keep you posted.

The detached tour pack (off), wheels, and modded SG/RG seat will be the beginning.........