Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will I be able to get these aftermarket parts off my bike if it is deemed totaled?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Egras2k
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just totaled the wife's bike a few months ago through GEICO.

They would not allow the removal of her Diamond Collection emblems as the style of the bike was affected and they had a buyer that wanted that specific style.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:21 AM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blarg
if the insurance company pays you out for your accessories, isn't this essentially theft?

No, it's not considered "theft" because the "theft" is cancelled out when you look at your insurance premiums and see that they are stealing from your wallet.
Actually, you can just "borrow" the aftermarket parts from your wrecked vehicle and return them when you sell the good vehicle.
It's all good!

Old 07-29-2012, 06:53 PM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I am looking for the same information. I recently found myself too close to the rear end of a 1 ton dually and the bike is in the shop right now waiting for the insurance appraiser. I find myself wondering the same thing, if the insurance company writes the bike off as a total, do I get to take my aftermarket parts off? I do not have any type of extra policy to cover added parts. The bike was insured when I first drove it home from the dealer as a stock 07 FLTR. I would be able to provide all the original parts as I have them all in the garage. So far the estimate to repair, parts and labor, is up to $12,000. There is also the chance of finding more damage as they do the repairs. I think that is putting me darn close to the 60-70% mark. Down side if they do not total the bike, it is 6-8 weeks for painted parts. Up side is I could be riding a new 2012 Road Glide custom, but starting all over with adding goodies....

Old 07-29-2012, 07:53 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

If they are not paying for the upgraded parts, just the bike with stock parts price, then you are entitled to the parts back as long as you put any stock parts back IMHO

I am a licensed Appraiser and if a customer asks me that is what I tell them, put it back to stock and keep your parts. Once the bike hits the salvage yard the aftermarket parts tend to walk away from the bike for some reason

Old 07-29-2012, 07:59 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by slickrick_58
Ask the insurance company what the salvage value is. You have right of first refusal. If the salvage is $800 dollars, they will deduct that amount from your settlement and deliver may deliver the bike to you.
Bikes, especially HD's are bringing HUGE money at the auctions. I have not seen a 800 dollar HD in a while.

Every company I write for makes me do a salvage comparison when the claim starts going north of 25% of book value. I have to use ARGO salvage in NH, I don't have any other choice.

http://www.argocycles.com/search.php...odel=0&fy=&ty=

PS In MA you do NOT have the right to buy the bike back, they may allow you to buy it but there is nothing that forces them to sell it to you

Last edited by Neggy ZRXOA 5248; 07-29-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:07 PM
ultimo-hombre
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

all depends where the bike is mate.... if you can get to it and you can SWAP OUT the parts, and have reciepts proving you paid for your add ons then do it. If you dont swap em out or there is ANY question as to what you did your insurance will bugger up the claim you will either pay hell getting it settled or get prosecuted for insurance fraud.

in the end the less you say and the less they know you did the better, just dont so much as take a zip tie off that thing that was origionally insured or you are SCREWED.

You said the estimate was up to 12k so far? for an 07 scoot I imagine that means it is gonna get totalled.

for what its worth trying to put straight parts on a bent up bike and all....
You may be best served to take the check and walk, unless you got nothing to loose. (dont mind a scrape with attys and the law)

Good luck mate!

Old 07-29-2012, 08:50 PM
runnhrd
Road Master
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

When my bike was totaled yes I got to remove the additional items I had instaled that I could move to the new bike.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:02 AM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by runnhrd
When my bike was totaled yes I got to remove the additional items I had instaled that I could move to the new bike.

This is what I'm hoping for.

I am not trying to "trick" the insurance company by swapping parts without them knowing.