Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose spokes, need a new wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 12:44 PM
BigDevil
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose spokes, need a new wheel?

I recently took my rear wheel into the dealer to have a new tire mounted and balanced. Shortly after they started working on it they said "you have a few broken spokes and some loose ones. I don't know if the hub is bad or not" a few minute later he said "come on back and i'll show you." They showed me where a few of the holes for the spokes were slightly ovaled. I said "well i only have a month or so of riding left, stick some new spokes in it, and tighten them all up." So, that's what they did. They priced me a new wheel at $480 or something obsured like that minus the bearing kit. I laughed and walked out the door. The guy at the service department was actually nice enough to save me some labor costs, discount the tube and rim strip, and suggest Ebay for a new wheel. That's a dealer i can respect!

My question is since they replaced a few spokes, tightened the rest, and mounted and balanced the new tire, should i even be concerned with replacing the wheel? My opinion is hell no! I will check the wheel for loose spokes, and as long as it rides fine i am probably not going to worry. I put over 300 miles on it this past weekend will no signs on any wobble or such. Even prior to taking it in for the new tire mounting i didn't feel any signs of anything being loose. I suppose it may take a few more than 3 or 4 bad spokes before one starts noticing a wobble or an unbalance of the ride. What is everyone's opinions on this matter? Thanks!

Old 10-13-2011, 01:15 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

the ovalling is a concern.

wire wheels are 'modular" and balancing the tension is a balancing act.

I've never seen a motorcycle wheel collapse with out an accident, but I've seen bicycle wheels collapse due to tension imbalance.

You have time to look around for a wheel builder ( I have a Pal in Quakertown who builds bikes I'll ask who)

and then get a wheel built over the winter--- probably reuse spokes and rim, so it is hub and labor, not too bad a hit.

I'd worry about ebay wheels

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 10-13-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:22 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

My Pal says:
"Ron Watt at the bike works laces all my wheels. 215-885-3633. He is in Glenside"

mike

Old 10-16-2011, 01:26 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 253 Likes on 154 Posts

What year bike is it? I have a low mile used rear, fits 02-07, let me know.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:51 PM
WindowMan
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Replace it, had a friend that was lucky and had one fall aprt at low speed from this.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:29 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 338 Likes on 194 Posts

Yea, check them regularly like you did previously.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:17 PM
kennethj
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loose spokes

I have a situation where all spokes came loose on the rear of a 2008 Ultra Touring at 3,900 miles. Caused crash. Serviced at proper intervals. I would appreciate further contact to discuss your loose spoke situation. My email is kennethj53202@hotmail.com.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:59 PM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you feel lucky punk??? Well,... do ya??? Buy one from flea-bay and ride another day.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:24 PM
Hotrodz_n_Harleyz
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

anything wrong with the wheels would bother me... that's one of those things on a bike if somethin goes wrong... it could be really, really wrong. Few hundred bucks is cheap insurance as opposed to riding around on a wheel you know has an issue. *especially* if you ride with anyone else... then it degeneragtes from risky behavior to pretty much criminal. Anything happens to another person on that bike and you knew the wheel was not perfect, that's on you.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:26 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 749 Likes on 513 Posts

I suspect "most" folks with spoked wheels don't have this trouble or else they wouldn't be as popular as they are. Even so, many years ago I decided to avoid the problem and stay with cast wheels. Undoubtedly, that's not what you want to do, but it is an option.

Quick Reply: Loose spokes, need a new wheel?