Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RK, Streetglide and my wallet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011 | 08:31 AM
sharpshooter
|
Road Warrior
Default RK, Streetglide and my wallet?

Ok fellas, a couple weeks I posted a thread about the differences between the 2. Im leaning heavy towards the SG but I like the RK, and I havent totally ruled out a Fatboy or Deluxe yet. I like being able to set the rk up in many configurations, stripped down or with a batwing and radio, and then a full tourer with a trunk and all. My question is for you guys that have these setups. What are the cost involved with having multiple setups? Also the time involved to make the swap? Me being new Im not really sure what it takes to make these swaps (parts wise). Im trying to weigh the differences in these cost and buying a SG. On the same hand though, the SG doesnt have the "multiple bike" factor.

Old 10-13-2011 | 08:52 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member

I just traded my 11 Limited for a brand new 11 RKC. I couldn't be happier. I absolutely love this bike. I never liked the fairing. Never listened to the POS radio. The tour pak was convenient but I never liked the looks of it. I can totally change the looks of the RKC in less than 5 minutes. Removable windshield, removable passenger back rest, removable luggage rack etc. Plus the weight difference is night and day. I know you said you were looking between the RK and SG but just wanted to offer up my experiences. Plus it seems lately that everyone has a SG. And those stock SG wheels are way fugly. Just my thoughts, hope it helps. I wouldn't do a soft tail just because of that heat from the oil tank right under your leg, yes they get hot.

Old 10-13-2011 | 08:57 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by sharpshooter
Ok fellas, a couple weeks I posted a thread about the differences between the 2. Im leaning heavy towards the SG but I like the RK, and I havent totally ruled out a Fatboy or Deluxe yet. I like being able to set the rk up in many configurations, stripped down or with a batwing and radio, and then a full tourer with a trunk and all. My question is for you guys that have these setups. What are the cost involved with having multiple setups? Also the time involved to make the swap? Me being new Im not really sure what it takes to make these swaps (parts wise). Im trying to weigh the differences in these cost and buying a SG. On the same hand though, the SG doesnt have the "multiple bike" factor.
The Road King has the ultimate "multiple bike" factor, no doubt about that. I had an '08 for four seasons and ran it in every configuration possible except with a fairing. I recently traded it on a '12 Street Glide and I won't ever look back. Of course, it always has the fairing, but I love the instrumentation on the dash instead of the tank. The windshield can be chaged out in five minutes, so lots of breeze around town, plenty of protection if I'm going to tour. Everything else is the same, tour pak, luggage rack, sissy bar, etc. I did look at putting a detachable fairing on the Road King, but it didn't make sense to my wallet, plus, most guys, once they ride with the extra equipment, it stays on more than off. Just my opinion, but I love my Street Glide.

Old 10-13-2011 | 10:30 AM
sharpshooter
|
Road Warrior

Didnt think about the oil tank situation..

Old 10-13-2011 | 10:49 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by sharpshooter
Didnt think about the oil tank situation..
A buddy of mine bought a new Heritage a couple of months ago. I helped him change to synthetic but that oil tank still gets hotter than hell. It gets so hot you cant touch it. I would stay with the touring bike if you can.

Old 10-13-2011 | 10:51 AM
JoeTag
Road Captain

I did not have a RK but I had a dyna. I found myself keeping the windshield and listening to music more often than not. So for me it was a no brainer and went with the SG. I absolutely love this bike. Have you test rode both?

Old 10-13-2011 | 11:20 AM
sharpshooter
|
Road Warrior

No, I have not rode either I know this needs to be the 1st thing to do... Ill get to that before I lay down the cash...

Old 10-13-2011 | 11:35 AM
Harleydaddy
Tourer

You NEED to go and test ride all the bikes your interested in. That will immensely help you in your decision. I knew I wanted a RK, but I also liked the Heritage and Deluxe. So I rode em all and it reaffirmed that I wanted the RK. And I friggin love it! It's a very versatile bike with a lot of capabilities. I'm always putting stuff in the bags, you can take the windshield on and off, and it's got the 103. Never liked the look of the batwing fairing on a bike, and who needs a radio? Get an iPod! Nuff said!

Old 10-13-2011 | 11:38 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harleydaddy
You NEED to go and test ride all the bikes your interested in. That will immensely help you in your decision. I knew I wanted a RK, but I also liked the Heritage and Deluxe. So I rode em all and it reaffirmed that I wanted the RK. And I friggin love it! It's a very versatile bike with a lot of capabilities. I'm always putting stuff in the bags, you can take the windshield on and off, and it's got the 103. Never liked the look of the batwing fairing on a bike, and who needs a radio? Get an iPod! Nuff said!

Old 10-13-2011 | 12:07 PM
mglax13
Road Master

I was in the same boat as you. I had it narrowed down to 3 options.

1. Fatboy, which I would throw some hard bags on (Baggertail conversion from Cyclevisions), and eventually maybe a fairing.
2. Road King
3. Street Glide

I rented an SG while on vacation in Myrtle Beach becasue they were out of Road Kings for that week, and let me tell you, once I had the fairing and the radio, I don't want to go back. Plus with the Road King, I didn't like all the ornamental stuff on the front fender or rear fender, which is why I was considering the Fatboy conversion for my "no fiaring" selection. I liked the rear fender setup overall on the SG more with the tri-bar light on the bottom, the filler panels between the fender and the bags, and all this stuff was stock, no need to dump a ton more coin into the bike to get it closer to what I wanted. Plus you can always toss a tour pack on there and you got the full dresser.

On my old honda cruiser, I had a detatchable windshield and I realized that more times than not, I was leaving it on, so I figured any type of detatchable fairing or windshield\radio combo, would just live on the bike eventually anyway.

I agree with the advice above, test ride them. In fact, go on H-D's website and I believe they'll send you a $200 coupon towards a rental. Test ride the 3 bikes, then the one you think you like the most, rent it for a weekend and see if you really like it. Some dealers will even put the extra money you spent on a rental towards the purchase price of your new bike.

Last edited by mglax13; 10-13-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Quick Reply: RK, Streetglide and my wallet?