Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RK, Streetglide and my wallet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011 | 01:47 PM
sharpshooter
|
Road Warrior

Im really curious as to the cost involved to make the RK into a tourer/SG/bar hopper.. What has it cost you fellas that have your bike configured all these ways??

Old 10-13-2011 | 02:01 PM
phlatkat
4th Gear

I think this has been covered pretty well and I think the main issue is get out there and test ride. Everybody has their personal likes and dislikes so you've just got to get in the saddle. I had RK's and like them a lot, great ride. Then I got on a SG and loved it. I'm a little leg challenged and the lower sitting position worked well for me. I've found if you get a Harley with the idea of "Adding on" you're going to spend a wad. I personally like the extra coverage of the fairing in wet and cold weather. and the venting helps in the heat. But it's all up to you and you won't know which one floats your boat until you saddle up. Good luck!

Old 10-13-2011 | 02:04 PM
BlackBetty
Cruiser

I just got to put my 2cents in.
I just traded my 04 Heritage Classic for an 11 SG.
I would go back to that softail in a heartbeat!
Now in all fairness I had the Quadzilla batwing on mine so that is the same, but the comfort level and the cost of parts is so much better with the softail.
And it is also very multi-config friendly.

Old 10-13-2011 | 02:24 PM
sharpshooter
|
Road Warrior

Thx fellas... I totally understand I need to ride them... I am interested in the cost of the add ons to change the bike out, for instance on a RK if I wanting to put a fairing and radio on it, what would something like that cost me. How involved is that process? If having the ability to have 3 different types of bikes in one is gonna cost me an extra 10k then obviously id rather not go that route.. I could just buy 2 bikes haha

Old 10-13-2011 | 03:38 PM
Big "T"
5th Gear

I can't give you exact prices, but here is my example. I thought i was in the street glide boat until i started looking at how much money it was going to cost me to put the detachable tour pack, ect.ect. on the bike. Got a good deal on a new 2011 electraglide classic and saved about 3,500 to 4,000 dollars. Look on harleys web site and all the prices for the add on stuff that will give you a ball park figure.

Old 10-13-2011 | 03:57 PM
Scubamike
Road Captain

I would suggest you find a dealer and first do a test ride of the bikes you like after which if you narrow it down to say the SG and RK then rent them or see if the dealer has both and maybe pay for a day rental and ride both the same day if dealer is willing and then you can make your choice. A rental is about $150 for 24 hours which is cheap to make sure you want to spend towards 20k on a bike and hell maybe the dealer would knock that off the price of the bike. As far as parts go, it cost me about a grand for the detachable tourpak for my SG which stays on 95% of the time because I love having the storage space and the windshield is about 5 minutes to change. If you have a RK then to buy a detachable fairing with stereo I am guessing about $1500 to $2000 for the fairing and you would have to mount it with quick connect for the electrical. Both the SG and RK are great bikes and the best bang for buck bike out there is the Electraglide classic. They really are all the same chassis with the difference being the fairing added which also adds weight. I knew buying my SG I was going to add the tourpak. Money wise you would be better off with the SG or Classic but you have to decide I you want a fairing or no fairing. Good Luck but I think renting is a great way to really tell what you want. Just a heads up if you rent a SG the stock windshield is useless above 35 MPH if you are taller than a hobbit so also take that into account.

Old 10-13-2011 | 05:48 PM
Sath
Tourer

I see no one is answering your question and I am only guessing about 4k in extras to get the RK you want.

2k for a painted fairing,sheild and a decent radio installed. Still will not have handle bar or speed volume control.

$1200 for the tour pak with mtg hardware
$400 for a seat (You will probably want another seat to run with the tour pak configuration)
$250 for a back rest that will work with the quick release mtg hardware.

Like I said I am only guessing I'm sure someone will correct me.

Old 10-13-2011 | 05:55 PM
dyeates
Cruiser

My 09 SG is a workhorse. Good for everything, touring is great, 2 up wonderful, only did stage 1. Would go back to a fugly, (had an 07), but love the tunes, capacity, and all around comfort. Just saying.

Old 10-13-2011 | 05:56 PM
Throwback
Road Warrior

Having owned both, I am very happy with my SG.

Ride both and spend your money for the bike that makes you happy.

Old 10-13-2011 | 06:33 PM
sharpshooter
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Sath
I see no one is answering your question and I am only guessing about 4k in extras to get the RK you want.

2k for a painted fairing,sheild and a decent radio installed. Still will not have handle bar or speed volume control.

$1200 for the tour pak with mtg hardware
$400 for a seat (You will probably want another seat to run with the tour pak configuration)
$250 for a back rest that will work with the quick release mtg hardware.

Like I said I am only guessing I'm sure someone will correct me.

Thanks Sath.... I was running out of ways to ask lol... That is what im looking for...

Quick Reply: RK, Streetglide and my wallet?