Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper way to test for compression?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 10:19 AM
TheBurninator
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BadBagger08
Did you go read this Power vision thread by iclick if you have wide band sensors you cant run in closed loop. Call Jammie give him a chance.

Its not the cams. only a idiot couldn't line up the timing marks. someone that knows what their doing just don't make that mistake. You check the dots as your putting the chains on as you put the cams in. you check them again as your putting the gears on and the cam plate is installed .
My understanding was that the PV did not require the stock O2 sensors. Thing is that it's running open loop at startup and still running like crap...so I don't see how it could be the sensors... I'm pretty confused by all this right now to be honest!

Old 10-13-2011, 11:44 AM
TheBurninator
Cruiser

I talked with Jamie at FuelMoto and he said the stock O2 sensors are not required, it would just remain in open loop. It still sounds like signs pointing to a cam issue. When I took out the plugs yesterday they were black and covered with carbon that looked pretty recent as it brushed right off...so whatever it is is causing a very rich burn condition!

Old 10-13-2011, 11:45 AM
BadBagger08
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do some research. I'm sure its the tune. maybe to run in open loop you will have to plug the O2 sensors in and tuck them away somewhere. buy a set that fits the bong whole there not as expensive as a wide band sensor.

And to tell ya when I 1st fired my bike up. it was pop, crack, burp, the whole neighborhood came out to the end of their drives. god it was so kwel. I've been tuning my bike the last couple of days and to tell ya the truth its not easy. I have the equipment and I still don't know what I'm doing. Plus it's a little insane pulling 4 gear all the way to 6,200 rpms

Attached Thumbnails Proper way to test for compression?-1.jpg  

Last edited by BadBagger08; 10-13-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:17 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 15,902 Likes on 4,970 Posts

you do have the map sensor plugged in, right?

Old 10-13-2011, 02:54 PM
TheBurninator
Cruiser

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
you do have the map sensor plugged in, right?
I would assume so, it wasn't ever disconnected for anything. The PV install just plugged into the diagnostic port and that was all.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:58 PM
bagger76
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If i read this right his bike is a 2010 and opening the throttle while cranking will not open the butterfly.This is a TBW bike and you have to use something to open and hold it open.I did a comp. test on mine and it was really low then i was told to open it manually. after that my comp. was right on

Old 10-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure the engine is at normal operating temp and hold that throttle wide open. If you do it cold your numbers will be low due to lack of oil on the cylinder bores and looser tolerances.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:14 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 15,902 Likes on 4,970 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBurninator
I would assume so, it wasn't ever disconnected for anything. The PV install just plugged into the diagnostic port and that was all.
look and see, its on top of the intake manifold, square, with a 3 wire harness going to it. just make sure its plugged in, most likely is because there would be a code if not, but check anyhow just to be sure. can make bike run very rich

Old 10-13-2011, 03:33 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh boy does tis bring back memories! I bought a set of 255 cams from Mastery her on the forum quite some time back and installed them all correctly no correct compression was obtained. Come to find out many of the early 255 cams were in fact indexed incorrect. The timing marks on the cams were all good but.... The cog that oreients the large cam gear is off making your cam timing off 4 teeth on the outer cam chain. So if you go back and search my posts I wud but at work on my phone only you will find my problem and the HD TB that rectifies this although those instruction are not exactly correct if read them. So you have to put a new timing mark on the large gear then alighen everything and bang she fires. PM me and tonight I will try to clear up with you what I have explained. There is a easy way to tell if these are the cams but the info is at home. I will follow this thread good luck if it is that it will only be the second set I have seen here on the forum!

Old 10-13-2011, 03:47 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SICKBAGGER
Oh boy does tis bring back memories! I bought a set of 255 cams from Mastery her on the forum quite some time back and installed them all correctly no correct compression was obtained. Come to find out many of the early 255 cams were in fact indexed incorrect. The timing marks on the cams were all good but.... The cog that oreients the large cam gear is off making your cam timing off 4 teeth on the outer cam chain. So if you go back and search my posts I wud but at work on my phone only you will find my problem and the HD TB that rectifies this although those instruction are not exactly correct if read them. So you have to put a new timing mark on the large gear then alighen everything and bang she fires. PM me and tonight I will try to clear up with you what I have explained. There is a easy way to tell if these are the cams but the info is at home. I will follow this thread good luck if it is that it will only be the second set I have seen here on the forum!
Sick I remember when you had that most frustrating problem.... What a bastid..
HD put out Tech Tip TT 296 on the 8th of March 2007 to explain the problem. The correct alignment for these cams is the 6th groove clockwise from the wide tooth, looking at the splined end of the cam.

I don't think that's the problem here but worth noting.

Quick Reply: Proper way to test for compression?