Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Operating Temperature

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 02:47 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Woollymonster
I read have always heard that oil temps need to reach at least 212 to boil off condensation in the engine/oil. That does not seem to be a problem.
Water will evaporate from oil at most any temperature, just faster as temp increases. My old Evo RK oil temps almost never exceeded 180° and two lab tests, one in summer and one in winter, showed an acceptable TBN (Total Base Number) after 5k. That means the oil was still capable of neutralizing acids at that point in time.

I spoke with a Mobil 1 oil engineer involved in their racing program a couple of years ago and he said that crankcase dilution (water and acid in oil) is not as much of a problem today as in the past. This is because oil formulations are better and gas contains less sulfur (water + sulfur = H2SO4).

Old 10-12-2011, 02:57 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by NoCoLoco
The normal operating temperature for a stock TC96 is about 230°F according to the manual. Your results may vary depending on conditions and setup.
"Normal" and "optimal" aren't the same thing. I wouldn't be comfortable running any engine at 230° at all times, as for one thing it will accelerate the oxidization of oil, even if synthetic. I think I may be more sensitive than most about this, but the more I read about oil the more I believe keeping oil as close to 180° is best, although this won't happen with any TC engine that runs in 70° or higher weather, IMO.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:04 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Woollymonster
... it is difficult to check the oil level without burning your hand...
This is a little off-topic from the original post but what the heck.

I very rarely check my oil at operating temperature.

I know what the manual says, but just because the manual says to check the oil hot doesn't mean it's the only way, or even that it's the best way. That can be a matter of opinion.

I have done a correlation between operating temp oil level and room temperature oil level on my bike and now I check my oil at room temperature. No more uncomfortably hot or burnt hands for me. In my opinion, this is the better way.

On my bike, the cold vs. hot oil level is approximately 1/4" on the dipstick.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Oil temps on my stock 2010 Street Glide (no oil cooler) with a stage 1 air cleaner, a Vance and Hines Pro Pipe Amsoil engine oil and a PCV runs almost exclusively in the 220 range fully hot. It has never gone above 230 since I purchased the Temp dip stick and have been monitoring it. It hit 230 twice in stopped creeping traffic and around 85 F. I can live with that!

Last edited by Rickr01; 10-12-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:11 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
"Normal" and "optimal" aren't the same thing. I wouldn't be comfortable running any engine at 230° at all times, as for one thing it will accelerate the oxidization of oil, even if synthetic. I think I may be more sensitive than most about this, but the more I read about oil the more I believe keeping oil as close to 180° is best, although this won't happen with any TC engine that runs in 70° or higher weather, IMO.
I never said anything about "optimal" or "ideal", I was just trying to answer the OP's question as simply as possible.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:39 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by NoCoLoco
I never said anything about "optimal" or "ideal", I was just trying to answer the OP's question as simply as possible.
I know, and what you reported as HD's spec was correct. I just wanted to clarify that HD's idea of "normal" might not be where I or others would want to run our bikes. OTOH some others might disagree and feel this is a good oil temperature to run, which is okay since it probably wouldn't make too much difference if oil changes were made at reasonable intervals and oil temps didn't exceed 230° often.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:58 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

With an oil cooler and Cobra Fi2000R programmer my TC96's run 200 all day long with air temps to 85 degrees.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:11 AM
Rickr01
Club Member

I will probably add a stock Harley oil cooler to mine as added protection this winter.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:06 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How effective is an oil cooler going to be when stopped in traffic? Who needs one when the bike is moving? Why even care what the operating temp is? There isn't much you are going to be able to do about it.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:32 AM
Rickr01
Club Member

Originally Posted by Maclugie
How effective is an oil cooler going to be when stopped in traffic? Who needs one when the bike is moving? Why even care what the operating temp is? There isn't much you are going to be able to do about it.
Anything that can be done to reduce oil temps is a good thing. If an oil cooler will bring mine down from an operating temp of 220 to a temp of 200, I would consider that to be beneficial to the longevity of the motor and will keep the oils protection package in better shape longer.. Thankfully I don't get caught in traffic much in Vermont.

Quick Reply: Engine Operating Temperature