Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Power Duals or Heavy Breather? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 10:06 PM
pauly3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default V&H Power Duals or Heavy Breather? HELP!

I am looking for input on what to do next to my bike. I currently own a 2011 Street Glide with 4" Rinehart Slip-Ons and factory A/C.

I am wanting to add on the V& H Power Duals and the H-D SE Heavy Breather. I can't do both just yet so I am here looking for some help from the forum.

Which should I do first? I have been informed that just the Power Duals setup will not require the download until I change the air cleaner. I want to eventually do both but I can't afford both just yet.

Does anyone have a current setup that features both the Power Duals and 4" Rinehart Slip-Ons? If so let me know what you think.

I am wanting better sound and performance. Please let me know what you think!

Old 10-11-2011, 11:28 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

if you want an air cleaner that'll work get the Ness big sucker--- ebay seller: easternpc, I paid $115 for mine.
It works and is a nice tidy install, uses the stock cover so your knee isn't pushed out, and in my case my toe gets tangled up in a Heavy Breather when trying to get off the brake

and you could gut the cat from your stock header

and you have just saved $600 --- I don't see any huge advantage of the V&H over a stock gutted header, unless it's a looks thing.

the power duals heat shield may well hit if you ever lower your bike, my buddy's FLHTK is down 1" and I hit on a right turn on my street hard enough to scootch over the rear tire-- I take that curve every day on my bike(s) never had that happen.

If you still want 'em check easternpc again for price

and then you can think about tuner.

I guess it really comes down to the look you want and your budget, as i see it the Ness/gutted cat are functionally similar to the Heavy Breather & V&H combo, but'll save you $500 or $600.

Mike

Old 10-12-2011, 02:00 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Gut the cat and buy the breather. If that isn't enough then buy the pipes. Free mod may make you happy but you won't know til you try.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:25 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

If you are only going to do 1 right now,go with the headers.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:42 AM
hougz79
Road Warrior

If you're looking for sound, gut the cat. If you are looking for performance, get a new header. A gutted CAT is not a very efficient 2:1:2.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:51 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The PDs arent necessary at stage 1.

The cat isnt holding you back with the stock cams in the motor. Also I agree with hougz, the gutted stock 2-1-2 isnt an efficient collector, its too big.

I would do the AC.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:49 PM
pauly3
Tourer

Well I pulled the trigger and went ahead and ordered the following:

Arlen Ness Big Sucker
V & H Power Duals

I am happy that was able to get both at the same time!!! I did some homework and everyone had great things to say about both. I am looking forward to getting them and installing them.

Sean over at Dr. V-Twin took great care of me and answered every one of my 1,000 questions. I appreciate his help and the GREAT prices!

If you all have any install advice by all means please let me know and thanks in advance!

Old 10-12-2011, 05:38 PM
TNFatty
Advanced

I also have a 2011 103 Street Glide and i have been down the same road. I am running V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Monster Rounds, and H.D. Heavy breather and TTS Tuner. If I had to do one at a time I would do the Power duals first since you have the Slip ons already. Save up your money get the Heavy breather and most important to me FORGET
the Harley downloads and buy a TTS Master tune tuner. For the price of 1 and 1/2 downloads you can remap your EFI every time you make a upgrade, and the TTS saves your factory download if you every want to go back to stock. TTS has more options and adjustability than the HD Race tuner. The V&H headpipes, Slip-ons and breather made a noticable diffrence in sound and performance but the TTS tuner made it come alive without a cam change. That being said I in the process of saving up for SE Adjustable push rods and a Bob Woods 555 cam to be done this winter. Should be a beast by the spring.
My 2 Cents-----
Mark