Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King.. a misnamed tourer

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 03:34 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

The RKC, is the missing link between the plain venalla
and the tooty fruity!

Old 10-16-2011, 05:13 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
A Road King can be many things, but the one thing it cannot be is a stripped down bar hopper. That's why I'd still like to have a wide glide in the garage.

The only thing keeping it from being a bar hopper is you. Of course, if you need that excuse to get a WG, then by all means. But the King can do it all, even if you leave the bags on.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:27 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

My 'bar hopper' is a 'cafe racer'! Well a Buell Firebolt to be precise.....

Old 10-16-2011, 07:38 AM
passae
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best of the best!!

Old 10-16-2011, 08:01 AM
ppilotmike
Road Captain
Received 106 Likes on 57 Posts

Why is it any thread like this turns into a defend my bike thing? If the OP does'nt like his bike he should sell it and move on, that simple. I have been on Eglides since 1984 with the exception of one "fugly" in 2005. I like the way some guys say the will buy an Ultra when they get "older". One thing they may want to think about is the extra weight gets harder to manage as you age. The big plus with the King for me is the lighter feel of the bars and having the weight lower. The older I get the less I find myself getting out on those 4-5K rides where the Eglides really shine which makes the King more atractive to me. The answer to the OPs question has been answered several times, it is a touring bike because it shares the frame and suspension with the other touring models. I also marvel at how someone can spend the kind of money we do on these bikes with out being sure it is truly what you want.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:39 AM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ppilotmike
Why is it any thread like this turns into a defend my bike thing? If the OP does'nt like his bike he should sell it and move on, that simple. I have been on Eglides since 1984 with the exception of one "fugly" in 2005. I like the way some guys say the will buy an Ultra when they get "older". One thing they may want to think about is the extra weight gets harder to manage as you age. The big plus with the King for me is the lighter feel of the bars and having the weight lower. The older I get the less I find myself getting out on those 4-5K rides where the Eglides really shine which makes the King more atractive to me. The answer to the OPs question has been answered several times, it is a touring bike because it shares the frame and suspension with the other touring models. I also marvel at how someone can spend the kind of money we do on these bikes with out being sure it is truly what you want.
You're mistaken on my original post Mike. I truly love my 2011 Road King, excellent bike for what I bought it for, (not on a whim and test rode a few others), and what I wanted. I can't see me ever getting rid of it as I'll definitely never get rid of my 'Wing. Most other bike makers would class this as a cruiser don't you think? Sure it has the suspension and frame, I love those features but having to ad thousands to make it long haul "tour worthy" I think it should be classed somewhere in between the touring and softail line-up. A small set of saddlebags and windshield does not a tour make, I like my heat and fairings around me to keep me warm and dry up here in the Pacific NW.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Drilln'Boss
Club Member
Veteran: Army
Received 7,704 Likes on 2,224 Posts

Road King is a touring cruiser!
And it's a bagged bar hopper.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:53 AM
ghenstorf
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As stated earlier it uses the touring chassis. I limit my Road King touring to 1000 or less miles per day. I am not a fan of the stereo and all of the lowers and such. I do use a Memphis Shades batwing but for 100 or less leave it off. I like the wind. I have ridden with a guy who thought his sportster was a touring bike. He put 100K on it in 5 years so I don't argue with him. A label is just that, and for me the FLHR series is THE touring bike of choice.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:03 AM
gred-04
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeneFXDWG
Most other bike makers would class this as a cruiser don't you think? Sure it has the suspension and frame, I love those features but having to ad thousands to make it long haul "tour worthy" I think it should be classed somewhere in between the touring and softail line-up. A small set of saddlebags and windshield does not a tour make
Good points but to me touring bike just means able to go longer distances
MORE comfortably.

And there are certainly many things that can be added to make a bike more
comfortable.

I do see little difference in the comfort features (stock) between a softail
heritage and a roadking. But I would give the touring edge to the rk just for
the better frame and suspension, so I do think that matters. It would seem
to me to make a difference as miles piled on.

Other makers have supersport tourers. Those bikes have little more than
a windshield and bags. Having owned one I would take a rk for
real long distance anytime, especially if two up.

In the end the name tourer on a bike means nothing and you can certainly
tour on a rk.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Macker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It comes down to your definition of tour worthy. Your opinion is different than mine. You mention heated grips, protection from the rain etc etc. Sounds like if you don't have them it's not to be classified as a touring bike. If you want all the protections and comforts why not just get in a cage and be done with it.

You also mention a couple times having to spend thousands to make a RK a true touring bike. Again, I guess you have a more narrow definition on what you have to purchase in order to make a RK a touring bike. I take issue with that. I bought a detachable rack and a Kuryakyn Ultra Tour bag for my '03 RK for about $300 and had all the room I needed on many 3-4 week trips I took. Oh and if it rains I can snap on my $50 rain guards and pull out my rain suit.

You should check out this site: http://www.advrider.com/forums/ and read some of their road trip stories. Try telling these guys, as they ride around the world on a BMW 650GS and the like, that they are not really on "tour worthy" motorcycles because they lack all the bells and whistles you find on an Ultra or your Goldwing.

Quick Reply: Road King.. a misnamed tourer