Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King.. a misnamed tourer

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 12:31 AM
crazeeejimbo
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I know is that I love the old school look of my 11rkc and how easy it is to get a different look in mins.Comfortable 2 up around town or on a long trip !!!!!!

Old 10-14-2011, 01:22 AM
Avmech97
Road Master

Originally Posted by DeneFXDWG
First of all, I own one and love it but here are my thoughts. Last June I traded in my little '08 Dyna WG on a new '11 RK Standard. I liked the Dyna but for my age, (51), the WG was too much of a shakey hay wagon and I opted to go for a King. It is such a huge step upwards in the suspension department I can't believe the ride now.Now Harley classes this as a touring bike. Do you think that it should be in that class? To me, a hard core touring labelled bike should offer more protection. I put on a set of Harley vented lowers to keep my feet reasonably dry in rain storms but to me, a touring bike should be like a big Beamer or an Ultra or my other bike which is a Goldwing, they all offer cargo carrying capabilities, (somewhat more than the King), but also offer protection from the elements, hence the batwing etc. I appreciate and understand it has air suspension and somewhat of a windshield but a "Touring" bike, I'm not sure.
My wife & I just recently did a 1900 mile road trip & her 97 Road King performed flawlessly for the entire trip as did my 09 RG. Imho the King is a great tourer.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:07 AM
10 RED RK
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

They don't call them Road KING for nothing!

Old 10-14-2011, 10:10 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Harley used the phrase 'King of the Road' on shovels! And the tourpak we all know and love was a 'King Tourpak' when it was first introduced (the original Tourpak was smaller).

Old 10-14-2011, 06:02 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good question...one of the factors on making this a touring class bike is the gearing ratios which are setup more so for fuel economy vs a street cruiser which has a gearing ratio that is more suited to lift the front wheel off the ground and not too much concern for miles per tankful.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:30 PM
stewy1200c
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The Road King is a great touring bike. I rode back from Mountainfest this summer. West Virgina to New Hampshire 810 miles in 1 day. Bike ran great, handled great.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:30 PM
deanp
Stage IV
Default The King

I have an '02 Road King Classic, which is more affordable in Australia and I believe great value in comparison to Softails. Mine has the Classic 50s look with the convenience of EFI and Cruise control. Beautiful bike.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:25 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
I think the new Switchback will steal some sales away from the Road King line. The Switchback is lighter, more nimble and has more cornering clearance. I test rode one. My only nit was the size of the saddlebags, which are barely big enough for a leather jacket.
I doubt the Switchback will take many sales from the RK as long as the potential buyers test ride both of them. if you want a smooth long range cruiser, the Road King blows the Switchback away. The ride is much smoother as it should be.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:35 PM
Captain Bligh
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The Road King is Harley's convertible. You can add-on or take off parts to make it many different things. I added a detachable tour pack for my wife's comfort when she rides with me. No wife, no tour pack.

As for rain, if you are on a motorcycle in rain you are going to get wet.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:02 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Red N Gold
I have often wondered about those who buy a RK then add fairing with radio and tour pack and lowers. Why not just buy a glide ? Few people I know take their fairing on or off.
I do strip my bike down, especially during the warm summer months. It only takes about 5 minutes to swap the fairing out for a windshield (or no screen), remove the lowers and swap the saddlebags out.

A Road King can be many things, but the one thing it cannot be is a stripped down bar hopper. That's why I'd still like to have a wide glide in the garage.

Quick Reply: Road King.. a misnamed tourer