Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King.. a misnamed tourer

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 08:44 AM
ixlr8
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeneFXDWG
I hear and agree with what most are saying, but if they market it as a touring bike, you shouldn't have to spend thousands to make it like true touring bike like your ultra. It sure is versatile and rides like a dream but man, those days you're caught in a downpour.
No bike will keep you dry in a downpour. Buy some waterproof boots and clothing.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:44 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

I went to a 07 FLHT & then to a 2011 FLTRX 103. I liked the looks of the RK but needed some more wind protection. Yes, the suspension is not up to par.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:48 AM
latnyte
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i have a detachable tour pack ,detachable fairing , soft lowers (wish i could afford hard ones )and will be close to 16,000 miles this season after this weekends run i would say thats a tourer!

Old 10-12-2011, 09:21 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

You're right. It shouldn't be road king, it should be Road Badass.
Fairings are for wimps.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:33 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
I have a Road King Custom and I just "toured" about 12,000 miles on it in rain, heat, cold, mud, gravel, you name it. I rode the length of the Rockies from New Mexico to the end of the road in Alberta and then across north BC and the Yukon into Alaska and to the Arctic Circle and then down the Pacific coast and back across to Texas.

I think it is a "Tourer".
Not to hijack, but wow you don't see cruisers that filthy very often. I only see that when I'm off-roading in the mud on my DR. I bet that was an incredible trip though. The miles certainly show.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 10-12-2011, 09:34 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

The RK is just a glammed up EG Sport! Mine has been doing sterling service as a touring bike since 1990, so I would expect a new RK to be at least half as good....

At rest en France:

Old 10-12-2011, 09:40 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Road King is the most all around bike Harley makes. Can be made to look the part of a Bar Hopper, Cruiser or a long distance Touringbike with the addition or removal of a few detachable accessories. Everything from batwing Fairings with and with out stereos , to windshields and tourpacks are available.

With the new frame design it think all of the touring class HD are the best all around handling bikes the Moco makes. I switched from a 05 Fatboy to my Road Glide this summer and have never looked back, it easily out handles the Fatboy from the parking lot, canyons to the freeway... hands down. And all of the Touring Class HD are the same in this since they are all the same frame, basic suspension just different add ons (fairing, windshield etc)

Yes, the Long Live the King, harleys best all around bike.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:45 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

I agree with the OP and the statements made by my RK compadres. I was actually suprised they call my 'King' a bagger. It have a badly jacked up disk in my back that I've been trying to delay surgery over, and the 'King' has made that possible in spades. They can call it a bagger if they want, but I just call it the king of the road....long live the King!

Old 10-12-2011, 09:46 AM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by booch
Its like owning 4 different bikes. The reason I bought this bike is so I could tour or ride around town not surrounded by fibreglass.

Blacked out crash bars and mufflers. I've been think about doing the same thing. Now I know it will look cool, thanks!
Sorry, didn't mean to

The King is the ideal Touring bike for me. I like having the option of putting a fairing and tour pack on without having to keep them on all the time.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:55 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,712 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I have a friend who just bought a Road Glide. I rode to Montana to ride home with him. It is a great Bike. It is a cool Road Glide and it will be a Road Glide tomorrow. It will always be a Road Glide.

I have a '10 Road King. Last weekend it was a cruiser without the windshield. I have the following disguises for my RK. QD Backrest, QD sissybar and passenger backrest, QD rack, QD King tour pack, QD fairing. Therefore, sans windshield it is my cruiser. I leave the bags on all the time, but I guess a purist could remove them. With backrest, windshield and rack, my communter, with windshield, backrest, King tour pack it is my cruiser, with fairing, backrest, King tour, Desert dog lowers, it my winter "oh what the he11, so it's in the 30's and may rain before I get home, I riding to the meeting anyway. The RK is the ultimate "Transformer". A Road Glide will always be a Road Glide, nice but not for me. An Ultra will always be a Ultra. Nice but not for me yet. I'm only 64 and when this RK hits 110,000 it will be time for an Ultra.

Quick Reply: Road King.. a misnamed tourer