Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King.. a misnamed tourer

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 667 Likes on 414 Posts

I think the new Switchback will steal some sales away from the Road King line. The Switchback is lighter, more nimble and has more cornering clearance. I test rode one. My only nit was the size of the saddlebags, which are barely big enough for a leather jacket.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:24 PM
Drilln'Boss
Club Member
Veteran: Army
Received 7,701 Likes on 2,224 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
I think the new Switchback will steal some sales away from the Road King line. The Switchback is lighter, more nimble and has more cornering clearance. I test rode one. My only nit was the size of the saddlebags, which are barely big enough for a leather jacket.
I don't think so, I think most RK riders like full sized motorcycles.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:28 PM
gogogadgetbiker
Banned competing forum owner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Quadzilla Fairing and an King Tour Pack... As has been said it can be any bike I want it to be. King, Street Glide, or Ultra depending on what I need at the time.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

It's the King because it can be anything you want it to be.

A stripped down bar hopper.

An around town cruiser. with tunes.

Or a longer range touring bike.

Harley Davidson makes motorcycles. Everyone else makes motorbikes!!

Old 10-11-2011, 07:38 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fireaxxe
To me the best fighters are the most versatile ones. You have the heavy hitters, the fast punchers, and the ones with the hardest chins. I use this parable to say that Road King is all of that in one, like the Muhammad Ali of touring bikes. This is where cruiser meets touring. I wanted a touring bike but not one suited for the older crowd I will save the Limited model for when I am in my 40's. Or matter of fact by then I would have built one out of my Road King. Perfect name for a perfect model.
I had a 2011 Limited at 46....I went back to the look of the old school Roadking this fall. I'm 47 now & figure in 8-10 years I may be ready to try it again but I will be keeping the King! The King is just way to versatile not to own.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

My 09 King is probably the last bike I will ever have! As a lot of guys said, it's extremely versatile. You can make it what you want it to be. It's everything I've ever wanted in a bike.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:43 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If I were single I'd have a RK. Since the wife rides with me a lot and we do some fairly long trips, we got the Ultra.

I'd say the RK is a good touring bike. It's like an Ultra with a few parts removed.

Last edited by smithbrl; 10-11-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,082 Likes on 1,514 Posts

Originally Posted by DeneFXDWG
First of all, I own one and love it but here are my thoughts. Last June I traded in my little '08 Dyna WG on a new '11 RK Standard. I liked the Dyna but for my age, (51), the WG was too much of a shakey hay wagon and I opted to go for a King. It is such a huge step upwards in the suspension department I can't believe the ride now.Now Harley classes this as a touring bike. Do you think that it should be in that class? To me, a hard core touring labelled bike should offer more protection. I put on a set of Harley vented lowers to keep my feet reasonably dry in rain storms but to me, a touring bike should be like a big Beamer or an Ultra or my other bike which is a Goldwing, they all offer cargo carrying capabilities, (somewhat more than the King), but also offer protection from the elements, hence the batwing etc. I appreciate and understand it has air suspension and somewhat of a windshield but a "Touring" bike, I'm not sure.
I went from a Sporty to a Dyna WG, to a SG and then the King.. they don't make an Ace so nothing beats the King !

Old 10-11-2011, 09:47 PM
fm58
Tourer
Received 128 Likes on 40 Posts

Buckin, that was well said.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:13 PM
booch
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Its like owning 4 different bikes. The reason I bought this bike is so I could tour or ride around town not surrounded by fibreglass.

Quick Reply: Road King.. a misnamed tourer