Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King.. a misnamed tourer

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 11:46 AM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Beauty bike Jim

Originally Posted by Twinrider
You've already got a barn door fairing, side bags and fairing lowers. Add a tour-pak and you'll have more carrying capacity than a Goldwing. Or strip it down in a few minutes and have a cruiser. That's what makes the RK such a versatile tourer compared to BMWs, Goldwings or other Harleys....

Here's mine,
touring mode:

Cruising mode:
That's pretty much exactly how I want mine outfitted in the end,...(if there ever is an end). So far mine looks quite a bit like yours, sans tour pack and center stand. The only thing different that sticks out is your highway pegs as opposed to mine. I just put some on towards the end of the season because of a bad left knee awaiting surgery, (pegs didn't do bugger-all), and mine tuck right into the lowers when in upright position, the arms are shorter and the guy at the dealership says this is what most are putting on their crashbars when the lowers are also on them. Dene

Old 10-23-2011, 07:21 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DeneFXDWG
The only thing different that sticks out is your highway pegs as opposed to mine. I just put some on towards the end of the season because of a bad left knee awaiting surgery, (pegs didn't do bugger-all), and mine tuck right into the lowers when in upright position, the arms are shorter and the guy at the dealership says this is what most are putting on their crashbars when the lowers are also on them. Dene
I only use the centerstand for maintenance now, it scrapes way to easy in corners/over bumps.

Post a pic of your highway pegs if you can, I'm curious to see how you set them up. Mine work pretty good for someone with a shortish (30") inseam.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:40 PM
orbiker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post a pic of your highway pegs if you can, I'm curious to see how you set them up. Mine work pretty good for someone with a shortish (30") inseam.
I had these when I had my 97 FLHTCUI with the lowers. The mount/ not the pegs. I had the pegs with stirups. Kuryakyn

Last edited by orbiker; 10-23-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:41 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

I only use the centerstand for maintenance now, it scrapes way to easy in corners/over bumps.

Post a pic of your highway pegs if you can, I'm curious to see how you set them up. Mine work pretty good for someone with a shortish (30&quot inseam.
I looked at all the shots I have of my RK Jim and none really show the pegs up close. I just picked them up from a dealer last August, (yes, a genuine HD part), and they recommended them over others because they fit the lowers contours. They are similar to yours but have very short arms. I can live with that since I have a long inseam. When the pegs are flipped up they are very compact looking. I hear you on the center stand, a friend has one on his Ultra and it drags all the time he said.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Tim the Preacher
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am glad to see other guys who appreciate the true versatility of a King, definitely a tourer. I have hard bags, a King TP and shield on mine for touring (though I will eventually add a detachable fairing and lowers). But for around town or short rides, it all comes off. It is super quick to drastically change the looks of the bike, almost like having two in one. Of course, by the time I finish spending money on mine (do we ever?) I will have as much in it as in two bikes!!!

Still, I know I made the right choice.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:43 PM
TOK DADDY
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
Never seen a naked Ultra. I'll keep looking.
I have...not the same. Long live the King!!!

Old 10-28-2011, 06:37 AM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by smokindave
. Question: What did they call Harleys before they put a batwing on them?
Double post. slow server sorry

Last edited by djkolp; 10-28-2011 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:38 AM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by smokindave
. Question: What did they call Harleys before they put a batwing on them?
After comparing the specs on both the Ultra & Road King, it appears to me that the Road King is just a stripped down version of the Ultra. Are the frames the same on both bikes? I currently own a 2010 Ultra, but the Road King is growing on me.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:50 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by djkolp
After comparing the specs on both the Ultra & Road King, it appears to me that the Road King is just a stripped down version of the Ultra.
It's just a tarted up Electra Glide Sport, FLHS!