Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King.. a misnamed tourer

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 06:41 AM
ppilotmike
Road Captain
Received 106 Likes on 57 Posts

I myself am not much into labels. Heck when I was a younger man I used to think nothing of jumping on my bowling ball Superglide and riding from my home in So Cal up to your beautiful island for a couple day stay. I think you can use just about any bike for long distance touring, I used to know a fella that rode a 250 Yamaha all over the country. I gues it really doesn't matter what you call it as long as you get out and ride it, after all thats what they were all designed for was'nt it?

Old 10-21-2011, 07:55 AM
TOK DADDY
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You dissin the King??? Cmon man. Hands down the most versatile - best looking bike out there. Rides like a dream!

Old 10-21-2011, 06:51 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TOK DADDY
You dissin the King??? Cmon man. Hands down the most versatile - best looking bike out there. Rides like a dream!
They do ride like a dream, are very nice looking, I'm happy with mine and have ridden the heck out of it since making the right decision to buy it. I like the color of yours by the way.Dene

Old 10-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Road King Gonzo
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultimate touring machine!

Originally Posted by DeneFXDWG
First of all, I own one and love it but here are my thoughts. Last June I traded in my little '08 Dyna WG on a new '11 RK Standard. I liked the Dyna but for my age, (51), the WG was too much of a shakey hay wagon and I opted to go for a King. It is such a huge step upwards in the suspension department I can't believe the ride now.Now Harley classes this as a touring bike. Do you think that it should be in that class? To me, a hard core touring labelled bike should offer more protection. I put on a set of Harley vented lowers to keep my feet reasonably dry in rain storms but to me, a touring bike should be like a big Beamer or an Ultra or my other bike which is a Goldwing, they all offer cargo carrying capabilities, (somewhat more than the King), but also offer protection from the elements, hence the batwing etc. I appreciate and understand it has air suspension and somewhat of a windshield but a "Touring" bike, I'm not sure.
I have a 2011 Road king hard bagger and I love it. I consider it the ultimate touring maching for me. I think the ride and the handling of the Road King are second to none. It's my own personal preferrence not to have a fairing or a radio system. I like the un-obstructed view of the road with just the windscreen and not having a fairing. I was well aware that HD made the Electra Glide, Street Glide and Road Glide when I bought my bike, but I chose to have a more old school look and it's just more my style, but I consider it every bit as much of a touring machine as any of the Harley full dressers. If I want to go on a long trip, I just strap down **** where ever I can. I don't ride when it's freezing out so I don't need all the fairings to keep me "warm!"

I am sold on the Road King, hook line and sinker! Harley has something for anybody and everybody, you just have to land on the bike that best suits your wants, needs and personal preferrence, that's all. Now shut up and ride!

Gonzo

Old 10-22-2011, 08:25 PM
towerhandjake
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ppilotmike
Why is it any thread like this turns into a defend my bike thing?
I agree with that. The OP had nothing bad to say about his RK. There is no argument that it's the KING. I'm happy knowing my classic isn't a "hard-core" touring bike, but can be if I fork out some extra $$$.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Ron "Gunner" Retzlaff
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It sure is versatile and rides like a dream but man, those days you're caught in a downpour.
Really, cause the Ultra has a roof on it? Get caught in a downpour and unless you are in a Monotracer http://www.monotracer.ch/index.php?lang=en you are gonna get wet.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:43 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

RKs are great bikes. 3 friends have/had them. Even Sonny Barger wrote it was the best overall bike.

I get the versatility, but putting on a fairing - how long does that take and does it have tunes? Quick electrical connects?

It's not a bike for a music lover. A friend of mine just bought a Dyna T-Sport and loves the lighter weight and actually softer ride vs. the 100k he put on his '99 RK.

I find it funny people comparing a softail to a touring bike. No comparison to the rubber mount engine, suspension travel and iso-drive.

To me, a windshield vs. a fairing is the same thing, but the fairing offers the music, gauges, etc. which is great.

And some don't want white walls, chrome bumpers, auxillary lights and leather bags either.

I definitely respect the choice of any Harley Touring bike. Looks have a lot to do with choices.

Originally Posted by carpetride
You're right. It shouldn't be road king, it should be Road Badass.
Fairings are for wimps.
Says the guy with a massive windshield on his bike. Hilarious.

Yes some will, the Goldwing and K1200LT Beamers, me and my buddy prove it many times.
Provided you have lowers and never stop moving. Even then it's not 100%.

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
The fork mounted batwing is just horrible in the wind. .
That is a total bullshit statement.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:42 AM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Provided you have lowers and never stop moving. Even then it's not 100%.
You're correct, it's not 100% but darn near as long as you're moving anyway. I put some lowers on my RK in hopes of staying reasonablly dry but my knees took a hit. My friends with the Ultra's don't seem to get wet as much due to the batwing I would think.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:56 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

First of all, I own one and love it but here are my thoughts. Last June I traded in my little '08 Dyna WG on a new '11 RK Standard. I liked the Dyna but for my age, (51), the WG was too much of a shakey hay wagon and I opted to go for a King. It is such a huge step upwards in the suspension department I can't believe the ride now.Now Harley classes this as a touring bike. Do you think that it should be in that class? To me, a hard core touring labelled bike should offer more protection. I put on a set of Harley vented lowers to keep my feet reasonably dry in rain storms but to me, a touring bike should be like a big Beamer or an Ultra or my other bike which is a Goldwing, they all offer cargo carrying capabilities, (somewhat more than the King), but also offer protection from the elements, hence the batwing etc. I appreciate and understand it has air suspension and somewhat of a windshield but a "Touring" bike, I'm not sure.
You've already got a barn door fairing, side bags and fairing lowers. Add a tour-pak and you'll have more carrying capacity than a Goldwing. Or strip it down in a few minutes and have a cruiser. That's what makes the RK such a versatile tourer compared to BMWs, Goldwings or other Harleys....

Here's mine,
touring mode:

Cruising mode:

Old 10-23-2011, 05:03 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

the road king should have a class of its own
between the dyna and the touring, maby
a middle aged fun loving class or something

Last edited by 6 gun; 10-23-2011 at 05:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Road King.. a misnamed tourer