Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King.. a misnamed tourer

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 04:00 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
My 'bar hopper' is a 'cafe racer'! Well a Buell Firebolt to be precise.....
To be a true "bar hopper", it's got to be fast, nimble, loud, spartan, and mostly fast. Bobbers, choppers, hard tail customs, etc. A bar hopper is by definition, uncomfortable over long distances, but good for short blasts from joint to joint on a Friday or Saturday night. Sorry, guys, I love my Road King, but it's just not ever going to be a "bar hopper", no matter how much I pump up the motor.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:06 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

My 'bar hopper' is a 'cafe racer'! Well a Buell Firebolt to be precise.....
To be a true "bar hopper", it's got to be fast, nimble, loud, spartan, and mostly fast. Bobbers, choppers, hard tail customs, etc. A bar hopper is by definition, uncomfortable over long distances, but good for short blasts from joint to joint on a Friday or Saturday night. Sorry, guys, I love my Road King, but it's just not ever going to be a "bar hopper", no matter how much I pump up the motor.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:10 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
I was playing with words (bar, cafe), but it is most of those things, with an after-market muffler, although I don't often visit either bars or cafes on it.....

Old 10-19-2011, 05:16 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

I was playing with words (bar, cafe), but it is most of those things, with an after-market muffler, although I don't often visit either bars or cafes on it.....
I'm a little slow at 2 am sometimes. lol

I gather the cafe racer thing is catching on in the US again, though.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:10 AM
Biker90
Road Warrior
Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm 36 and have a eg limited when I hit 50s I will downgrade to a road king so it doesn't get to heavy on me

Old 10-19-2011, 06:50 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by Biker90
I'm 36 and have a eg limited when I hit 50s I will downgrade to a road king so it doesn't get to heavy on me
That's funny, I'm 50 and upgraded from my Limited to a Road King. It's amazing how much more nimble and responsive the RKC is over the Limited. I don't think I'll ever go back to a fairing bike unless it is a Fugly. The fork mounted batwing is just horrible in the wind. But hey, that's why we have choices.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:00 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DeneFXDWG
First of all, I own one and love it but here are my thoughts. Last June I traded in my little '08 Dyna WG on a new '11 RK Standard. I liked the Dyna but for my age, (51), the WG was too much of a shakey hay wagon and I opted to go for a King. It is such a huge step upwards in the suspension department I can't believe the ride now.Now Harley classes this as a touring bike. Do you think that it should be in that class? To me, a hard core touring labelled bike should offer more protection. I put on a set of Harley vented lowers to keep my feet reasonably dry in rain storms but to me, a touring bike should be like a big Beamer or an Ultra or my other bike which is a Goldwing, they all offer cargo carrying capabilities, (somewhat more than the King), but also offer protection from the elements, hence the batwing etc. I appreciate and understand it has air suspension and somewhat of a windshield but a "Touring" bike, I'm not sure.
Disagree with your view. The Road King deserves its name and is the King of the Road. Go back and ride your Gold Wing and hang around a Honda website.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:18 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Round Town Scooter!

Originally Posted by longrideshields-1
You can get a lot of comfy miles on a King. You can add to your cargo on a King. You can add an aftermarket fairing on a King. You can go without shield or fairing on a King. The King is the most versatile of them all IMO. Even stock, I believe it qualifies nicely as a touring bike. Long live the King!
Crank one up to 70 on the highway, kick it into 6th, turn on the cruise control, lean back on an adjustable backrest and cover some miles! I put on a tourpak with wrap around backrest for the wifes' comfort also. I'd be lost for an explanation of how it's not a tourer!

ON THE OTHER HAND -

I also use it as my daily commute. 15-20 minutes of local, either way, every day. It works well for me in both roles. I wouldn't let the lack of all the extra plastics (or should I say different) make a difference. As stated before me, any or all of that can be added on later. I chose my King because of its "traditional old school" looks.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:29 AM
HalfFast
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, it deserves its name.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:37 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGdawg
Disagree with your view. The Road King deserves its name and is the King of the Road. Go back and ride your Gold Wing and hang around a Honda website.
Classy, hang around somewhere else yourself you narrow minded putz.

Quick Reply: Road King.. a misnamed tourer