Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 02:02 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i just get out on a flat road where there's little traffic and plenty of places to pull off. i then get out my phillips screwdriver and adjust to my liking. i did change over to the E-code headlight though and that does make a very noticeable improvement, but the aiming was done the same way as harley's stock headlamp. and welcome to the forum.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:58 AM
Mighty Nation
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
That may be ok advice for daytime riding, but not really advisable for nightime riding.

The reason for aiming a little downward is so the beam isn't shining directly into the line-of-sight of oncoming traffic, while still providing you the light you need. Adjusting a touch to the right for the same reason is also not a bad idea.

You don't want someone coming at you blindly because your light is shining directly in their line-of-sight.

I aim mine a little high, and yes I do want to shine that light right in their eyes. I would rather **** off everyone on the road than to have one person standing over my body saying I didn't see him.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:20 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Mighty Nation
I aim mine a little high, and yes I do want to shine that light right in their eyes. I would rather **** off everyone on the road than to have one person standing over my body saying I didn't see him.
I don't understand your reasoning at all. If your light is shining in the oncoming traffic's eyes, it will impair their vision. With their vision impaired that driver is more likely to become disoriented and drift right over into your lane... Ever hear of "target fixation"? ****! This is basic drivers education stuff that you should have learned at sixteen.

It has nothing to do with being more visible. Any headlight coming directly at you from the opposite direction is visible! It's the cross-traffic that you need to be concerned with and raising your headlight will have no effect on that.

So go ahead, **** everyone off. In the process, you've probably increased your chances of being scraped up off the road.

You ought to rethink your opinion on this.

Last edited by 2black1s; 10-11-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Mighty Nation
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't understand your reasoning at all. If your light is shining in the oncoming traffic's eyes, it will impair their vision. With their vision impaired that driver is more likely to become disoriented and drift right over into your lane... Ever hear of "target fixation"? ****! This is basic drivers education stuff that you should have learned at sixteen.

It has nothing to do with being more visible. Any headlight coming directly at you from the opposite direction is visible! It's the cross-traffic that you need to be concerned with and raising your headlight will have no effect on that.

So go ahead, **** everyone off. In the process, you've probably increased your chances of being scraped up off the road.

I'll tell you what they don't teach in basic drivers education, that is how to survive someone pulling out in front of you and you slamming into them at 50 mph because they didn't see you.

Aiming your light up a little is no different than buying the brightest $50 bulb you can find, same effect. I'm not talking about shining a huge spot light directly in their eyes. I'm talking about making your light easily and clearly seen. All it does is save you $50. If they have to slow down and pay extra attention to me, good deal, that is the idea.

I have had several friends die because someone didn't see them. Not one, or two or three, several. I learned early on to be seen. They are all dead and I am still here. I don't really care what anyone has to say about it. I'm not trying to convert anyone, I'm just stating what I do and it works.

You go ahead and not be seen and your babies will be kissing their new daddy good night.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:00 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,716 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Stock procedure for new bikes. However this is rarely checked.

1) measure the distance ( A ) from the floor to the center of your headlight.
2) subtract 2" from that measurement ( "B" ).
3) Place a piece of tape "B" inches from the floor on a vertical wall.
4) Measure back away from the taped wall 17 FEET. Place your bike with its headlight at the 17 foot mark pointing at the tape on the wall.

5) Sit on your motorcycle or have someone of similar weight sit on your motorcycle.
5) Turn on your headlight - the top of the beam should be at the tape mark on the wall. If too high or low, there should be beam adjust screws on the headlight housing.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:47 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

I'll tell you what they don't teach in basic drivers education, that is how to survive someone pulling out in front of you and you slamming into them at 50 mph because they didn't see you.

Aiming your light up a little is no different than buying the brightest $50 bulb you can find, same effect. I'm not talking about shining a huge spot light directly in their eyes. I'm talking about making your light easily and clearly seen. All it does is save you $50. If they have to slow down and pay extra attention to me, good deal, that is the idea.

I have had several friends die because someone didn't see them. Not one, or two or three, several. I learned early on to be seen. They are all dead and I am still here. I don't really care what anyone has to say about it. I'm not trying to convert anyone, I'm just stating what I do and it works.

You go ahead and not be seen and your babies will be kissing their new daddy good night.
I can see we're going to get nowhere trying to discuss this any further. You've got your opinion and I have mine - and that's perfectly ok.

On the other hand your posts have made it clear to me that your perspective is not very well thought out.

Examples:

I've hightlighted in red a blatant contradiction you have made in one post to your next. Kinda sounds like you're just rambling on without even thinking about what your saying.

And for those you know who have died because someone didn't see them, first let me say that's unfortunate and I'm sorry, but I bet none of those were head-on collisions caused by the offending party not seeing the headlight coming at them.

Like I said before "Any headlight coming directly at you from the opposite direction is visible!" It already is in your words, "easily and clearly seen", even when adjusted to the standard position of slightly down.

Have good day. You and me - We'll just have to agree to disagree on this.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:19 AM
wildbill01
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amen X2

Old 06-17-2012, 09:50 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

A light bar, call them passing/auxiliary/spot or whatever name you chose, is one of the better ways to alert oncoming and side traffic. I recently added the HD LED in headlight and aux lights. Aimed the right one slightly to the right and up a bit. It is designed illuminate the road side on dark country roads, and to shine at the traffic on the right side getting ready to pull out. Nothing is going to get you seen by the bimbo/bubba who is texting, but every little bit helps. My head lights are aimed according to installation instructions

Old 06-17-2012, 01:46 PM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I always go out to an open unlit road in my area. I use the high school yard road as it cement, same width as a normal road, no lights, no traffic and I can see where my beam is hitting better. I first make sure I'm going straight on the road and stop so that its lined up straight. Make a few turns on the screws, sit on it to load the suspension, check it out on low get that where I want it. Then I switch it to high beam and make a few more fine adjustments. My high beam adjustment is what I am really after and I will accept where the low will fall at. I use the same location for my truck and I will bring a piece of cardborad to cover up one headlight so that I can do one headlight at a time on the truck. I put the truck beams slightly lower so when I hook up a trailer that I will still hit the road when loaded.

Last edited by K Melancon; 06-17-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:11 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

figured out that i wanted more light further out and to the right slightly.

Just adjusted it a few turns and ride down a dark road near my house and see if it's good.
if noe just adjusted it a little more...

the aux lights were a pain PITS to adjust. Worst part was keeping them still when tightning them

Quick Reply: Headlight Adjustment