Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question: Trailering a Touring Bike in the Rain

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 06:03 AM
Chas63
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question: Trailering a Touring Bike in the Rain

It looks like I'm going to be trailering my touring bike on an open trailer in the rain tomorrow while going to Florida. Do I need to take any special precautions to protect the 05 EGC while pulling it through the rain? Any advice?

Thanks

Old 10-10-2011, 06:43 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

I would leave the bike uncovered and wash it when you get it where you need to. Anything you try and cover it with to protect it from and of the road elements will more than likely do more damage. Trailering in the rain will do no greater harm tham riding in the rain which will only result in road grim is all. Hopefully your open trailer has some sort of stone shield on it to protect any gravel from being kicked up from the towing vehicles tires. This is the only area that I would be concerned about

Old 10-10-2011, 06:48 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 865 Likes on 542 Posts

Best advise. DON'T COVER IT WITH A TARP or anything else! Unless
you want scratches all over your tins, etc.

Rain water won't hurt your scoot. Just make sure you have enough straps hooked up. I have used the handlebar and BSR foot pegs. you can also use the saddle bag supports too.

Good Luck and have fun in Florida!

YB

Old 10-10-2011, 07:09 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 392 Likes on 232 Posts
Default Wet strap stretch

When the straps get wet, some will stretch a little, so re-check them once it gets wet to ensure they are tight enough for the trip. Also, no need to clean it before you leave, waste of time if trailering thru the rain.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:11 AM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

I secure my Ultra to a trailer utilizing the triple tree, passenger floor boards and lower front forks at the point the brake calipers are attached. Works great. If you use the search function on this forum you will find great advice and in many cases pictures of securing a bike to a trailer.

Never cover a bike on an open trailer.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:00 AM
Chas63
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies. I'm using a 5x9 ramp trailer from U-Haul with the built in wheel chock for the front wheel. I really like these trailers. They're sturdy and protect the bike well except for something falling out of the sky. They have lots of tie-down rings and good, sturdy side rails.

I've got it tied and strapped down quite well. I'll check the straps and tie-downs periodically. I brought it up here to Tennessee several months ago using the same type trailer and tie-downs and it arrived without a scratch.

Thanks again for the advice.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:06 AM
cp1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be sure to duct tape all the loose strap ends so they can't flap.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:22 AM
peddler
Club Member

Originally Posted by Chas63
Thanks for the replies. I'm using a 5x9 ramp trailer from U-Haul with the built in wheel chock for the front wheel. I really like these trailers. They're sturdy and protect the bike well except for something falling out of the sky. They have lots of tie-down rings and good, sturdy side rails.

I've got it tied and strapped down quite well. I'll check the straps and tie-downs periodically. I brought it up here to Tennessee several months ago using the same type trailer and tie-downs and it arrived without a scratch.

Thanks again for the advice.
That's the same trailer I used the first time I trailed my Ultra. You are 100% correct. Great rental trailer!!! Just a couple of suggestions.

1. Make sure you check the tires. I had a bad tire experience with that trailer. Wasn't the trailers fault. No damage but it did provide an opportunity to spend 4 hours on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in 115 degree heat. That story just keeps getting better as time goes on.

2. Use "soft loop tie downs" with "soft ties" to secure the tie downs to the bike. They work great and don't scuff/scratch the bike.

Just my

Old 10-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Bleachey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the soft ties. Question about the trailer-how far in advance did you reserve it and could you share the cost?

Old 10-10-2011, 02:30 PM
peddler
Club Member

Originally Posted by Bleachey
+1 on the soft ties. Question about the trailer-how far in advance did you reserve it and could you share the cost?
Not sure how far in advance you have to reserve it but the daily charge is only $14.94 IF you pick it up and return it to the same location. U-Haul discourages one way trips with this trailer.