Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It all started with the V&H Monster Ovals

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 07:09 PM
brasshatdiver
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It all started with the V&H Monster Ovals

As in my last post, I was keeping this bike (2010 flhtk) stock!! Made it just over two years and just under 20,000 miles. Then I heard the low deep rumble of the monster ovals, couldn't get the sound out of my head. So I went for it, best slip on's I've used to date, sounds like a HD should and I can still enjoy the radio. That should have been enough, but no I keep reading the forums and talking with buddies. Why not go with a stage 1 and be done, after all I'm almost there and I need to change my air filter anyway. As of today: I installed my V&H power duals, and a SE/AC. Dropped the bike off for its race tuner and dyno. Hope to pick it up on Tuesday morning on my way home from work. Keep in mind, I was never unhappy with the bike for the last two years, in fact this has been the best bike I've owned yet. Now 98% of you (with same bike) say this is the best money spent so far, hope your right!! Will it stop here? probably not, was saving up for LED's and possibly better speakers, when this started.

A before and after with the monster ovals only.

http://youtu.be/XvQQ6iZHu9Q?t=47s

Ride safe

Old 10-09-2011, 09:53 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel your pain.......
I managed to hold off to 16,000 miles on the best bike I've owned yet too.
And I too was completely happy with my bike.
While perusing the classifieds , I happened across the only mufflers I ever wanted at a price I couldn't pass up , Stainless S&S SPO's.
Felt a nice boost in power with the mufflers , so my dealers service writer talks me into a stage one download , as he's a big S&S fan.
Another boost in power , not a big boost but noticeable.
Well I figure maybe I'll finish off the stage one with an S&S teardrop intake (just personal taste and style).
Another boost in power , not a big boost but noticeable.
Funny thing is that my fuel mileage went up from stock.
Now I'm thrilled with the bike , but maybe it needs cams ..............
It never ends.
BTW , your bike sounds quite nice.
Congrats on your 1,000th post.
Mick

Old 10-09-2011, 10:27 PM
HFS
Club Member
Received 340 Likes on 205 Posts

Cams. Or just go 120r and avoid the delay...

It doesn't end, enjoy the ride!!

Harry

Old 10-10-2011, 03:13 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, I was pretty content on my bike until I started looking on here. Now over the winter my bike will be getting over $10K done to it: Apes, blacked out front, Bad Dad stretched fender and bags, new slipons since my Ovals won't fit in the stretched bags, upgraded audio, big bore kit, 21"/17" wheels and tires, progressive rear shocks, lower the front shocks, 2 C&C seats, and it probably won't stop there...........

Old 10-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I made it 2 and a half years and over 40,000 miles before I did anything to my bike. Other than H-D detachable items or small accessories I ran it bone stock til early this summer. Now running a stage I (details listed in sig pic below) and am very happy with the bike. I still want to install the oil cooler and eventually go with the Auto Tune for my PCV, but no other plans to go beyond the stage I here. I may or may not try some slip-on mufflers if I find a set on here for a deal (the Monster Ovals are among the ones I'm considering).

A bike evolves over the years, you're always tinkering with it in some little way. For example another thing that comes to mind is that Jerzee oil pressure gauge that mounts on the rear rocker cover, that's something I'd like to do by next year too.

Another thing I'd like to see some day is wide white walls that will fit the RK standard's cast wheels (only available for the RKC at this time). I'd go with those for sure if available.

Glad you're having fun with your bike! Share some pics as it progresses

Old 10-17-2011, 11:12 AM
shredsurf
Road Master

[quote=brasshatdiver;8913888]Then I heard the low deep rumble of the monster ovals, couldn't get the sound out of my head. So I went for it, best slip on's I've used to date, sounds like a HD should and I can still enjoy the radio. That should have been enough, but no I keep reading the forums and talking with buddies. Why not go with a stage 1 and be done, after all I'm almost there and I need to change my air filter anyway. As of today: I installed my V&H power duals, and a SE/AC. Dropped the bike off for its race tuner and dyno. Hope to pick it up on Tuesday morning on my way home from work. Keep in mind, I was never unhappy with the bike for the last two years, in fact this has been the best bike I've owned yet. Now 98% of you (with same bike) say this is the best money spent so far, hope your right!! Will it stop here? probably not, was saving up for LED's and possibly better speakers, when this started.

+++1 Totally agree with the VHMO's...love em!!
Looking forward to hearing your review of the V&H power dual install...I'm looking to pull the trigger on them very soon!

Last edited by shredsurf; 10-17-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:27 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by brasshatdiver
Then I heard the low deep rumble of the monster ovals, couldn't get the sound out of my head. So I went for it, best slip on's I've used to date, sounds like a HD should and I can still enjoy the radio.
I got the SE's.............should have got the MO's. You're right

Old 10-17-2011, 11:34 AM
shredsurf
Road Master

Here is my question to the V&H technical staff:

To whom it may concern,

I have a 2009 HD Road Glide w/ 15K miles and VH Monster Oval slip on’s.
I am contemplating the purchase of “true dual” system and don’t understand the difference between the VH dresser and power duals?

A brief explanation would be great.

Here is the V&H technical staff response:

The dresser dual head pipes are a good performing system mainly at the top end. They are mainly for looks, and to attain 50-50 exhaust flow from each mufflers. Also allows better flow for less heat build up as apposed to the stock header pipes.

The Power Dual Head Pipes are a performance orientated system. They are 2-1-2 head pipes which incorporates the concept of a 2-1 system with a collector chamber. This system provides appropriate backpressure and flow for efficient combustion and overall performance gains.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:30 AM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I couldnt stand the presure MO'S 255 cam and race tuner right out of the box. couldnt be happier. well yea. chrome lower legs, shocks. maybe some taller bars this winter. moving my way toward the rear changing this and that. LOL it never ends

Old 10-18-2011, 06:43 AM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here started with the Monster Ovals...Then cams, black powdercoating, radio amp and speakers, chromed engine, Corbin seat and WO 577 apes. If you read long enough on the Forum it will never end.