Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the 4 year extended warranty worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 04:06 PM
jrobinson424
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is the 4 year extended warranty worth the money?

I have a 2012 Road Glide Custom ordered. I have had 2 HD's since last April. I've had the extended warranty on both. Thinking about not getting it this time. I want to use that money towards putting on the Agitator wheels. Is the warranty worth it and what all does it cover?

Old 10-09-2011, 04:30 PM
scottycameron
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't sound like you hang on to anything to long, why fork out the money towards the extended warranty? Use it for upgrades!

Old 10-09-2011, 05:39 PM
pettifogger1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You aren't getting a four year warranty. You are getting a two year warranty. The bike comes with a two year warranty but the dealers always try to make it sound like you are getting a "four year" warranty for your extra dollars. (Unless when you are all done with the transaction the bike is covered for six years. Then you bought a four year warranty.)

Old 10-09-2011, 05:45 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm sure the dealership has some literature explaining in great detail what the warranty covers, but if you really want to know what it says, you might want to have an attorney translate it for you. Warranty is just another form of gambling and the odds are in favor of the house. HD will always bring in more revenue on the extended warranties they sell than what they pay out in repairs, because the repairs legitimately don't qualify or they weasle out out of it. Do some bikes need repairs that would benefit from the extended warranty? Yes. Will your bike need repairs that would benefit from an extended warranty? Maybe. Do you feel lucky? Roll the dice. Do you need some extra assurance to have adequate confidence in the materials and workmanship of your new HD motorcycle? Buy the extended warranty.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:50 PM
SOCALHD
Road Warrior

The ESP Warranty is worth the money. If you dont keep the bike then you get your money back pro-rated. I can give you a bunch of examples of why its a good bet. Just do it and get the Tire and wheel warranty as well.
People that really dont know will give you the advice to not get it. So you have to make the decision. But something a lot of people do not know is the rental coverage you get when you have the extended warranty. if you have a repair, which is covered under warranty even Factory warranty then ESP will pay up to 10 days rental.
I've seen new motors go into bikes with the customer only paying their deductible.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:01 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Just about anything you buy these days has an extended warranty plan available. Computers, phones, cameras, televisions, etc.

Personally I never purchase any of them.

If extended waranties were such a good deal the firms selling them would be broke.

If you never buy one, odds are you'll be money ahead in the long run.

On the other hand, peace of mind is worth something. If the peace of mind you'll get from having the extended warranty is worth the cost of the warranty to you, then go for it.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:39 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I got the ESP. I waited until the factory warranty was about to run out. It cost more that way, I think, but it gave me an idea of what to expect from this bike. The ESP with tire and wheel coverage has paid for itself in the 1st year.

Had I not had any problems with the bike in the 1st two years, I probably would not have purchased the ESP.

Another point to consider is: How many miles will you put on your bike? I'm riding about 20k per year, so that helped tip the scale.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:44 PM
coiledup
Tourer

Mine was 1200 bones and I purchased it on the last day of my factory warranty. Since that day I have had over 2000 grand worth of repairs done, and no extra optional additional charge to me. Has paid for itself and I'm still in the first year of a two year warranty. Was worth every penny in my opinion. Two each his own.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:53 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

if you plan on changing your pipes, air cleaner or using a tuner, the warranty may not apply if you are violating your part of the contract.

read the contract

and wonder if the servicing company will be in business in 3 years and 11 months.

The 2 year warranty from the factory is all you need.
Don't do anything to void it, ride your bike as is for 2 years, then change all the stuff you wanted to change

( or only do reversible changes like stage 1, being ready to restore it to stock if it goes into the dealer.--- once the bike is entered into the system as "modified" your warranty is sunk.

and if the dealer says ," let us tune it it's covered"--- then get that in writing, because that's an agreement between you and the dealer, not H-D.

I know this is a harsh cynical outlook, but I've seen too many guys shaking their heads when what may have been a warranty claim is denied ( like flashing the ECM) or showing up with burned valves and drag pipes...

mike

Old 10-09-2011, 07:54 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Depends on how long you plan to keep the bike, and if you plan to do any mods. The bike comes with a two year warranty from the factory. If you plan to do mods you better read the fine print, it may be voided.

Quick Reply: Is the 4 year extended warranty worth the money?