Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the 4 year extended warranty worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 05:27 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
but how long for. that is the vague part. all i'm saying is be sure of what you're getting. all i know is what the dealer says, and what my contract said (i got the esp a long time ago, haven't since).

you pays your money, you takes your chances....

OK Hows this for retarded. I called the number on the HD website and asked about it....... I called 3 times........ I got 3 different answers. One said it starts on your in service date, another said it starts at the end of your factory warranty, and the third paused and said "I don't know"...gotta love honesty.

But all 3 agreed that you can get the ESP up until the day before your factory warranty runs out.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:52 PM
speedwaysteve
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I added it to my 10 sg with the tire and wheel pkg,it already paid for a new rear tire still have 4 more years to go

Old 10-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Woollymonster
Cruiser

It's worth it to Harley. The company makes money off of extended warranties or they would not offer it. For most of us, it will be a loosing proposition. Just like Vegas.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:39 PM
cruzmisl
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Extended warranties are a money grab and not worth the expense.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:42 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzmisl
Extended warranties are a money grab and not worth the expense.
Mine's paid out more than it cost in less than two years. I have five years of coverage left. How is this not worth the expense?

Old 10-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Sy101
Advanced

Pipes and air cleaners do not void the warranty, unless they are crap made in someones garage..if you put a set of vance and hines and a KN air cleaner on your bike it is not going to void it..I have never had problems with my warranties..the one I just purchased starts after the factory one runs out..so I have 6 yrs tip to tip and paid less than 1200..so 300 a year or less than $30 a month..labor is what $90 an hour in Cali..I think it is worth it..one major repair pays for itself..

Old 10-10-2011, 08:57 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
Mine's paid out more than it cost in less than two years. I have five years of coverage left. How is this not worth the expense?
Someone wins every lottery too, with a lot of folks paying and not winning.

Best thing to do is not buy an extended warranty on anything (scooter, home, stereo, appliances, lawn mower, PC, etc, etc, etc), then when and if something breaks, you pay to have it fixed with part of the money you saved by not buying extended warranties.

Think about it - if extended warranties were not money makers for the company offering the warranties, they would not exist.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:06 PM
gred-04
Tourer

Can someone post a scanned copy of the ESP?

I would like to take a look at the details. Seems HD only lists
the sales brochure online.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:09 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by mmcbeat
Someone wins every lottery too, with a lot of folks paying and not winning.

Best thing to do is not buy an extended warranty on anything (scooter, home, stereo, appliances, lawn mower, PC, etc, etc, etc), then when and if something breaks, you pay to have it fixed with part of the money you saved by not buying extended warranties.

Think about it - if extended warranties were not money makers for the company offering the warranties, they would not exist.
Think about this...I paid $1470 for my warranty and it's paid out over $1700 so far in tires and towing alone.

If you ride your bike more than a couple thousand miles a year, and if you go on long trips away from your tools, and if you keep your bike more than two years, an unlimited-mileage warranty is money in the bank. My bike will have somewhere around 200,000 miles on it when my warranty expires. Given the number of things that have already been replaced, plus all the tires I'll be getting, I'm betting I see at least 15 times in return as compared to what I paid for the ESP.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:22 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

On my 3rd Harley & have had the extended on all 3 but I have yet to ever need it. On my current bike I opted yet again (#3) to purchase it because it was out of the factory warranty & I got 5 YEARS from the date I purchased it. That's August of 2016 on an 08 RoadKing. Yep, expensive but 1 major repair & it will be worth it. BTW, I was given a pro-rated refund on both of the other bikes when I traded them in. Piece of mind of me.

Quick Reply: Is the 4 year extended warranty worth the money?