Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grey Beards and Electra Glides...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2023, 07:02 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,253 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Old thread, but most of the guys I ride with are on a glide, no matter the age. The weather protection of a fairing, and music. I think this has really changed, FLHX is a big seller. 90% of the people I know are on a bagger.

32 when I got my Ultra, wish I got it sooner Pretty much as soon as I bought FLHR, I knew I want a touring bike.

Last edited by Rounders; 03-08-2023 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-08-2023, 07:22 AM
Bproctor
Cruiser

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm a few months in to my bagger, and love every second of it. When I first started riding in 2015 I was intimidated by the bigger bikes, and listened to all the wrong people. The dealership had four 2022 FLHTs when I went into look around and out side of it being bare bones I didn't notice hardly any difference between them and the Street Glide. I've put between 4 and 5K (majority audio) into since riding it off the lot and have installed everything myself. It's not a big deal for most people, but I find my happiness in doing most things myself. I get everyone don't like the gadgets, radios and such, but for me I really enjoy them and want to get the most out of my ride for me. I'm hoping for years of enjoyment out of this bike and love that there are so many options to make it my own. It's funny this post came back up. My buddies wife told me I look like an old man on an old man's bike. LOL, 48 young and almost all grey. 26 years Military, four kiddos, and an ex wife takes a toll.

Old 03-08-2023, 09:03 AM
Belloc42
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

Funny that the guy who started this thread in 2005 asked if 45 is too young for an Electra Glide and he's now 63. Baggers have had a real image change since then, I think. For my part, I got an Electra Glide Standard last October and I think it's my favorite bike ever. So versatile - great in town, great on open roads. Traded a 2020 Goldwing that didn't feel alive until you got over 90, which I do too rarely to be a big factor. I didn't enjoy it much in town. The ECG isn't quite as stable at speed, but it's not far off, and it's way more nimble at lower speeds. My close second was a 2017 Sport Glide which I loved, but it wasn't as comfortable for long trips. With a King Tour pak the ECG will carry a ton of stuff, but the saddlebags are plenty roomy for daily use, and the pak goes on and off easily. Lowers are easy to put on in the Fall and take off in the Spring, and you can throw soft lowers on for summer rain. Again, just so versatile. I'm 57, and I wish I'd gotten one of these 25 years ago.

The following users liked this post:
lee4 (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 09:09 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,253 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Originally Posted by Bproctor
I'm I was intimidated by the bigger bikes, and listened to all the wrong people.
I don't think starting on smaller bike is a bad idea. or get cheaper bagger, and just be ok with dropping. For me bikes have two wheels, and fall over, it happens.
Originally Posted by Belloc42
Funny that the guy who started this thread in 2005 asked if 45 is too young for an Electra Glide and he's now 63. Baggers have had a real image change since then, o.
I think they have too. Some may be the market crashed after 100th, and you can buy one cheap. Maybe we are just becoming wusses and like to be comfortable. I also think music is a big part of it. Everyone has mp3 or their phone hooked to a bike now.

For me I started on cruisers, I think price was part of it, looks, and nervous about big bikes. But I got tired of bunghees and straps. Added small leather bags, than got bagger, than added trunk to FLHR. I found could spend more time on a bike with storage and weather protection.

Last edited by Rounders; 03-08-2023 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-08-2023, 10:00 AM
Belloc42
Tourer

Originally Posted by Rounders
I got tired of bunghees and straps. Added small leather bags, than got bagger, than added trunk to FLHR. I found could spend more time on a bike with storage and weather protection.
For a daily driver, if you do any distance, once you have bags and a fairing, it's hard to go back. These are just so practical in so many ways. On smaller bikes I used to avoid the freeway for any distance because it was no fun. On the Wing I avoided riding in town. Tank bags and soft luggage on smaller bikes, uncomfortable passengers, low temps being a chore, etc. I ride 95% of the time now just because there's no downside.

You're right about lots of used ones - there were dozens at the dealer where I bought mine. I bought the EGC because it wasn't much more than they wanted for a late model Street Glide, and I preferred the front tire and no radio of the EGC anyway, plus I could add exactly the stuff I wanted. Still trying to talk myself into the expensive little door to cover the hole though, lol.

Old 03-08-2023, 10:10 AM
KDF72
Cruiser
Received 152 Likes on 63 Posts

Well, I bought my first Glide in 1990 at age 34 and wondered why I hadn't done so earlier. Afterwards I had a BMW GS, 2 Gold Wings 2 KLR 650s 4 Urals and now just a Ural cT and a 2009 FLHTP I've had since 2010.

I like comfort and wind protection. I allows me to ride more often and longer especially since I am now a grey beard.

I had a friend who came of age in the bay area in the early 70's who rode a rigid shovel for years and only grudgingly bought an EVO custom with actual suspension. The mere thought of riding a bagger was repulsive though he was polite enough not to call me a quiche eating girly man for doing so.

Old 03-08-2023, 11:14 AM
Belloc42
Tourer

I'll bet the Urals add another level of practicality, but I've never been seriously tempted to relearn how to ride. Regarding suspension, I've been a quiche eater from the beginning, I'm afraid. I had a couple of Beemers too - loved the R11RS, but sport touring bikes are kind of wasted on Texas - either a small bike for in town, or a bigger bike for everywhere. Took me a while to get to an everywhere bike, but I'm very happy here.

Old 03-09-2023, 10:06 AM
KDF72
Cruiser
Received 152 Likes on 63 Posts

Yessir the Urals are practical, I did the grocery shopping yesterday on it. You do have to learn new riding skills and it helps if your mental wiring has a few shorts. They are very weird but much fun if you are so inclined.

I have a stage 1 on the 103 and I love to get it out on the main roads and just let it bellow. Both of my machines are wonderfully honestly mechanical and much fun.

Old 03-09-2023, 10:34 AM
b0fh
Road Captain
Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

got my 1st at age 47 in 2020... before that rode sportsters exclusively (still have 1)

Old 03-09-2023, 11:17 AM
chopr147
Tourer
Received 305 Likes on 182 Posts

I was one of those guys that just did NOT like the look of the fairing and stayed away for too many years. Once I got the UL almost 2 years ago, there is no going back. Long rides are always calling me with this bike

Quick Reply: Grey Beards and Electra Glides...