Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grey Beards and Electra Glides...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2022, 07:01 PM
SMR65
Road Master
Received 876 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
When I was a little boy, 10-12 years old,there was a drunk that dated a woman in our Parrish in Eastern Canada. He rode a old touring probably a Road King or maybe a Electra Glide, this was in 1975-1977ish. It had Texas Longhorns tied to the front . He asked me if I wanted to sit on it while it was running and I thought it was the best thing in the world… I wanted a big Bagger since then… My 07 Electra Glide was my dream bike and I still get a **** eating grin when I ride it. It’s a beautiful bike.

It would have been a electra glide, the kings were not thought of then. Nice looking classic.

Old 07-09-2022, 07:30 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Detour
I was on an 8 hour ride with some friends today and during a lunch break I mentioned that my next bike will be an Ultra Classic Electra Glide. One of the gals in the group said that I was "too young" to ride "one of those". I laughed at the comment and asked her how old you had to be to ride one? She said to wait until I'm 60 and have a grey beard! Well, I'm 45 years old and would have a grey beard, if I could grow a full one without any bald patches, so maybe I would pass part of the qualification.

My question is, and forgive me for even asking, how old are the riders of Electra Glides on this site? I'd love to prove her wrong, as I don't believe you have to be any particular age to ride one. I think they're awesome bikes, and besides, 60 years of age is still pretty young, in my opinion!

Kurt[sm=burnout.gif]
If one purchases a motorcycle, or doesn't purchase a motorcycle because of what other's may think.... or not think.... that's on the purchaser....
Buy the bike, or don't buy it.... but because you want it

Now, if someone else is paying for it.... that's a different situation.

Old 07-09-2022, 08:15 AM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,295 Likes on 1,405 Posts

Ha what nonsense,I was in my 40s when I bought my first one , I'm 65 now and on my third Electra.
It wasn't about age it was about seeing the country with the wife on board and having plenty of watertight lockable storage for long trips.
We did Sturgis the first time on an FXRS Superglide with no windshield and only leather bags,camping gear and a duffle bag with a million bungees holding it all together.
The wife was a real trooper but I know it wasn't very comfortable for her and we had a hard time keeping everything strapped on .
That trip was an eye opener and I soon bought an Electra but kept my FXRS.
The moral to the story is that there is no one perfect do it all bike,everything is a compromise so if you can only have one pick what works best for what you do most.
I've found that late model Electras have come a long way in power and handling over older models,my 2019 is a joy to ride and light years better than my first an '89.
My second was a great bike,a 2000 I bought new and put 200,000 miles on, eventually I had it built to a 103" high performance motor but as great as it was this new bike is much better even bone stock.
This bike comes closest to being that do it all bike as I've ever owned,want an Electra just do it!

Old 07-09-2022, 08:22 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,100 Likes on 3,649 Posts

Originally Posted by SMR65
It would have been a electra glide, the kings were not thought of then. Nice looking classic.
thanks , bought it new on 7-7-07 now have 111000 miles on it. Best ride was up to NB to see the family. Those Maine and New Brunswick roads are tough though.

Old 07-09-2022, 08:34 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

I got my first Harley at the age of 15.
It was a 64 Duo-Gide which was the last year before the Electra-Glide came out.
I should have bought an EG but couldn’t afford one.
It didn’t take long before I was wishing I had.
At any rate, I haven’t had another bagger since selling that first one.
If I decide to start doing long distance rides again, I might consider a RK though.
I don’t think I want to do any cross country **** on my soon to be 30 year old lowered Softail Springer.

Old 07-09-2022, 09:02 AM
05flhtbob
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10,654 Likes on 1,731 Posts

After the first ride on a bat wing I was looking for a new one..
I was in my late 40's when I got my first one and never looked back

Old 07-09-2022, 10:39 AM
David Earl Cox
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread started in 2005. Wow. I was still suffering from Post Traumatic Y2K Syndrome back then…

Old 07-10-2022, 09:16 AM
Ultra103
Club Member
Received 1,045 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by David Earl ***
This thread started in 2005.
Good threads age well I suppose - unlike me.
I bought my first new Ultra in 2008 at 34 years old after riding numerous sport and Jap bikes since I was 14. (First bike was a Honda PC50)
Definitely have the grey in my beard now.

Old 03-07-2023, 05:39 PM
DoctorG
Intermediate
Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

I’m 64 this summer and figure it’s the ole lady’s problem if indeed one with this riding my 76’ eg.

Old 03-07-2023, 11:44 PM
lee4
Cruiser
Received 208 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by FLRYDR
Wow I really broke the rules!!

42 and ride a 2005 Glacier White FLTHCUI

1st Harley 79 Sportster at 28 years old
2nd Harley 90 FLHTP Electra Glide Police at 29 years old and haven't looked back since.

BTW all 4 of my Electra's have been white

I've always heard there are 2 kinds of bikers....Those who ride Dressers and those who haven't been on one yet!

Old comfortable geezer
Ha, 41 and just fell in love with my 08 flhtp. No one understands it but me.

Quick Reply: Grey Beards and Electra Glides...