Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solo seat + backrest and solo tour pak rack

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 11:55 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Solo seat + backrest and solo tour pak rack

I've ordered a chopped tour pak and solo quick-release rack for my '07 SG, and will hopefully be also ordering a Mustang 79100 solo seat with backreast on Monday. As a precaution, I called Mustang asking about clearance between the seat/backrest and tour pak in this arrangement, and the rep said it will work. Oddly, an email received later in response to the same question a few days ago, Mustang says "The Mustang solo seat with the built-in driver backrest will not fit on the bike with the solo rack and TourPak, sorry. Our seat will fit the stock configuration only. Our regular standard solo seat without the driver backrest will work with these accessories."

Looking at the photo in the HD accessories catalog looks like it will clear a solo seat with backrest. Has anyone had any experience with this combo, or any other solo seat with a backrest? What else is available except Corbin?

Old 11-26-2006, 12:05 AM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Solo seat + backrest and solo tour pak rack

Why would'nt you mount the tourpak so you could utilize it as your backrest?

Old 11-26-2006, 11:17 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Bountyhunter, I would do that if I thought the padding would work as well as the backrest on a seat. In the accessory catalog, HD says "...moves a Chopped or King Tour-Pak® forward to a comfortable back supporting position." However, the Mustang rep I spoke with said it wasn't as good as a backrest. Just looking at the photo in the catalog suggests that it is too far back to be effective, and only adjusts 3/4". I don't know anyone in this area who has this setup, so I can't go try it out.

Old 11-26-2006, 11:30 AM
Recon
Cruiser

I have the corbin solo and backrest on my SG. The solo tour pack adjusted forward is a bit too far back for back support(my back anyway). Sweet setup.

Old 11-26-2006, 07:33 PM
frittsk
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a Sundowner solo with the chopped tour pack mounted forward as a backrest. I am only 5'10" tall and it works great for me.

Old 11-26-2006, 07:41 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

Now that is one sweet looking set-up...the Tourpak backrest sure does look comfortable!

Old 11-27-2006, 12:28 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Decisions, decisions. Frittsk's setup certainly looks comfortable and looks like it would provide enough lumbar support, as the lumbar section looks like it's in about the same position as a typical backrest would be. So, Frittsk, how is the lumbar support while in a normal riding position?

General question: When Tour Paks are ordered, I assume there is no padding at all included. Right? If that's correct, I also assume it is pre-drilled for pads, so if pads are not installed how will it work?

I am convinced from seeing photos of the subject setup that without pads on the Tour Pak a driver backrest mounted on the seat would easily fit in the recess of the box. Does everyone concur with that conclusion?

Old 11-28-2006, 01:03 AM
frittsk
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bottom portion of the pad does not have any padding in it, but could easily be opened up to add some type of padding to increase the lumbar support.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:55 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Frittisk, thanks for the input. I showed your photo to my local dealership and everyone agreed that it looked comfortable but didn't know anyone who had this arrangement installed. If you're in a normal riding posture, is your back supported like it is with a seat with a backrest installed? My last bike had a Corbin solo with backrest and it was perfect for long rides, and I'm trying to find something similar for this new bike. I just ordered a Mustang #79100 solo with backrest and that should do the job. When the Tour Pak arrives I'll probably not install the padding until I can actually sit on a bike with an arrangement like yours. Since I've never seen one before, it seems unlikely I'll have that experience in the short run, though.