Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stopped for a helmet check......

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 04:46 AM
kwoozn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stopped for a helmet check......

Riding south on I-405 Saturday afternoon near Bellevue, WA.
Pulled over for helmet check.
Was riding with my German style helmet.
That's a DOT approved German style helmet!!
Quick check, shook hands and on my way.
Beware in Washington state is all I can say if you ride with a novelty helmet!

Old 10-09-2011, 07:17 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 72,262 Likes on 21,827 Posts

Sounds like harassment to me.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:23 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Just like DUI/DWI checks...can't complain about our boys in blue keeping us safe. Don't see the problem...??

Old 10-09-2011, 07:31 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,678 Likes on 3,118 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Just like DUI/DWI checks...can't complain about our boys in blue keeping us safe. Don't see the problem...??
I see a HUGE difference!

DUI check protects the population that the DUI offender might harm.

But helmet checks to protect me from myself??? How about pulling me over because I'm overweight? Or because I smoke?

I wear a helmet in NC because I want to, (though the state tells me I have to also.)

It has no business doing so IMO.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:32 AM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,376 Likes on 10,752 Posts

I take it DOT approved helmets are mandatory in Washington....
I wouldn't have a problem with a random check from police depts....
For my own protection,I will be wearing a helmet from now on !!!

I haven't looked into the DOT approved tests for helmets....

Old 10-09-2011, 07:38 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 72,262 Likes on 21,827 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
It has now been established that cell phone users are more dangerous than are DUI drivers, but you rarely hear of people getting cited for cell phone useage, never mind texters... by "our boys in blue"

Old 10-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Desoto
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stiggy
I see a HUGE difference!

DUI check protects the population that the DUI offender might harm.

But helmet checks to protect me from myself??? How about pulling me over because I'm overweight? Or because I smoke?

I wear a helmet in NC because I want to, (though the state tells me I have to also.)

Your helmet doesn't protect just your head. It protects the well being of your family as well. And nobody think of the cost to society if someone crashes. Medical care, money you don't bring home to support your family, the cost of the emergency response team and so on. At least that's how I see it. If a cop pulls me over to check my helmet, no problem, I'll be on my way shortly because my lid is DOT approved. I don't see any kind of harassement there.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:48 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
I see a HUGE difference!

Well...helmet laws are just that too..."the law" so checking for compliance is within the law...right???

Guess comparing helmet check to DUI/DWI check is a bit apples/oranges, but your Dr. can sure help w/the other things you ID...

Old 10-09-2011, 07:52 AM
swinestein
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem is the hypocrisy of the laws and enforcement. I wonder how many people this same officer pulled over for talking on their cell phone or texting the same day? Which is just as dangerous as DUI AND endangers others (unlike a helmet law which the OP is endangering only themselves) More people text and drive than drink and drive everyday and the proportion of issued tickets don't show it. I wonder why...
IMO helmet laws are hypocritical. They write these laws to protect us from ourselves. Yet who protects us from us from our law makers who allow towns to resurface roads by laying down loose gravel over tar, and use tar strips which are truly dangerous to cyclists?

Last edited by swinestein; 10-09-2011 at 07:53 AM. Reason: .
Old 10-09-2011, 07:53 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Government mandated helmet laws are no different than a law that would require ditatary restrictions, mandated exercise programs, mandated safe sex pratices etc. Protecting the population from a DUI, burglar, etc. is a valid function of gov't. Protecting one from themselves is not a function of gov't. and what I do with my personal life is none of the gov'ts. business if I am not harming others by my actions or lack of actions.

Presently the obesity epidemic in this country is a far greater threat than all the bikers in the country that are not wearing helmets, so step away from the burger bi!ch.

And don't start the public burden arguement that I saw above. Tell me how busting my head is more of a burden than someone having a heart attack or stoking out because of diet or exercise issues, smoking, etc. How would you like to get pulled over for that Big Mac? Or better yet, let's just shut down all the places that feed us stuff that is not good for us.

Stopping to check for a DOT helmet is not harrassment because that is the law of the state. What is harrassment is the fact that the law exists to begin with.

Wear a helmet if you want, don't wear one if you don't, but don't mandate what I can do with my life.

Bill

Last edited by billnourse; 10-09-2011 at 08:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Stopped for a helmet check......