Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stopped for a helmet check......

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 02:43 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKBAGGER
Oh, Just because the liberal courts rule one way doesn't mean it's not a violation of your rights. Things have been known to change.

That's very true. But, until it does change, it is still the law of the land. Period.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:44 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Here's a link to a DOT vs. ECE testing. I hope it works. You have to scroll down.

And for the record. I don't think DOT standards are all that great. But, they are better than wearing a plastic bucket on your head.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...51BB1A&first=0

Old 10-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Matt0987
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by billnourse
Government mandated helmet laws are no different than a law that would require ditatary restrictions, mandated exercise programs, mandated safe sex pratices etc. Protecting the population from a DUI, burglar, etc. is a valid function of gov't. Protecting one from themselves is not a function of gov't. and what I do with my personal life is none of the gov'ts. business if I am not harming others by my actions or lack of actions.

Presently the obesity epidemic in this country is a far greater threat than all the bikers in the country that are not wearing helmets, so step away from the burger bi!ch.

And don't start the public burden arguement that I saw above. Tell me how busting my head is more of a burden than someone having a heart attack or stoking out because of diet or exercise issues, smoking, etc. How would you like to get pulled over for that Big Mac? Or better yet, let's just shut down all the places that feed us stuff that is not good for us.

Stopping to check for a DOT helmet is not harrassment because that is the law of the state. What is harrassment is the fact that the law exists to begin with.

Wear a helmet if you want, don't wear one if you don't, but don't mandate what I can do with my life.

Bill
++++1

Old 10-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

I always wear helmet even when I travel the states don't required one because it's safer and might help me survive the crash so my family doesn't have to deal with it.Of coarse it doesn't look cool like those novelty helmets but I don't wear it to make a fashion statement.Cop more likely to pull you over if your helmets appear to be not DOT approved and I see lot of these helmets at our local HD shop with Bud light sticker then DOT sticker on em.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:51 PM
scootinz
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
I see a HUGE difference!

DUI check protects the population that the DUI offender might harm.

But helmet checks to protect me from myself??? How about pulling me over because I'm overweight? Or because I smoke?

I wear a helmet in NC because I want to, (though the state tells me I have to also.)

It has no business doing so IMO.
I agree 100%. I think it's BS that any government tell me I have to wear a helmet. Where is the freedom in that? I have an old car with no shoulder belts (convert) If they made me modify the car I would hit the ceiling.

I think our governments (local, state and federal) sucks the life out of us both financially and personally. Take a look at what has happened with your tax bill in comparison to the value of your home. If that isn't BS I don't know what is. My home value goes up, my taxes go up. My home value drops, my taxes go up. WTF?

You think that cop cared about your scull? He cares about keeping his sarge happy who is up he azz for revenue. I know a lot of cops and they will be the 1st to tell you if the boss want DUI's they write DUI's, he wants speeders, we sit and radar....etc...

Old 10-09-2011, 02:58 PM
kwoozn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey davessworks....I think we met last year at Eastside, you, on a Limited, me a black Ultra, we were talking about my V&H Monster O's. I'm sure you know the little hill between the highway that the Stater was waiting in!

Some good points by all, I would like to see WA be a choice state but it is a (D) state! So I know I am being well taken care of...cough, choke, puke..
As I understand, if you are illegal on a bike ie..helmet, endorsements etc. is that your bike will be towed from the site!

I will give props to the LEO he was friendly the whole time and did not look for anything else, did not even ask to see my license.....all legal there too so no worry.

I just wish they would enforce the cell law here! It's an easy $124.00 for them! You can't go but three or four cars and not help but see the driver on the phone!!

Old 10-09-2011, 02:59 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

How many of you here, that disagree so much with safety check points, helmet laws, etc.,. have ever done anything about it?

Ever write your congressman?

Ever attend, or initiate a rally?

Talk to your city councilman (or whatever the equivalent is in your town)?

Ever even voted on a poll on your local news channel?

It wouldn't surprise me at all if that number is extremely small. Because bitching about it here isn't doing anyone any good.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:03 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kwoozn
Hey davessworks....I think we met last year at Eastside, you, on a Limited, me a black Ultra, we were talking about my V&H Monster O's. I'm sure you know the little hill between the highway that the Stater was waiting in!

I just wish they would enforce the cell law here! It's an easy $124.00 for them! You can't go but three or four cars and not help but see the driver on the phone!!
Great to hear from you! Yup - cell phone enforcement would be a MUCH better use of their time. Personally, I'll either wear a DOT helmet or no helmet. Novelty helmets are not worth my time. No helmet is just plain liberating.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Jim_G
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always wear my DOT helmet even though I'm not required to in SC. I don't care a bit if you don't. I don't buy the public burden argument either, but I would expect you to either have insurance or pay your own expenses if you get injured (with or without a helmet). It may sound morbid, but I'd bet there are more people alive today with transplanted organs because of head injury deaths than there are brain dead vegetables on the public dole.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:17 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wear a helmet, and probably always will. I believe in the safety of a helmet and have been witness to a few wrecks where somebody didn't have a helmet on, let's just say they didn't have an open casket viewing. That being said, I do believe you should have the right to choose, the one problem I do have with the DOT helmet is that a lot of the helmets that have the sticker don't even meet the standards. If you want a good helmet check the test and get a SNELL approved helmet if possible.

Quick Reply: Stopped for a helmet check......