Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stopped for a helmet check......

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 10:46 AM
spider14043
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the leos should have there own site.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:47 AM
spider14043
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So they can stir **** amongst themselves.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:56 AM
Holzarbeiter
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S1dewinder
Our Boys in Blue are too busy talking and texting to pull anyone over for talking and texting!
+1 on that

Interesting how there seems to be a double standard. Those that enforce the law have a tendency to violate the same laws they are supposed to enforce. What happened to leading by example.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:15 PM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,061 Likes on 11,620 Posts

I wonder what the outcome would have been had I been
wearing a 'novelty helmet' !!!

Walked away from this...... left a lot of leather at the intersection,
but walked away with only a damaged shoulder.

I do not like government telling me I have to wear a helmet,
I want that to be my choice....And from here on out, I'll be
wearing an approved helmet no matter where I'm riding.

Attached Thumbnails Stopped for a helmet check......-damaged-clothing-from-accident-001-small-.jpg   Stopped for a helmet check......-damaged-clothing-from-accident-002-small-.jpg  
Old 10-09-2011, 12:21 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleybike
How about when one gets in a crash god forbid, has only a brain bucket, end up with a closed head injury, not saying that any other helmet won't allow for a head injury) becomes a vegetable and then all the rest of the people have to pay the bills. It is for your protection and for the cost of Ins rates. No different the the safety belt laws...JMO.
how about when someone gets in a crash and only has a tiny (insert econobox model here) and ends up with a head injury, becomes a vegetable and then all the rest of the people have to pay his bills?

by your logic we should all be driving volvos.....

i don't like your logic.

Originally Posted by Harleybike

I wear a helmet, and have loud pipes, and less emissions... I'm sure most of the cops in the country that ride have loud pipes and poor emissions.

what did you do to have less emissions after pulling off your cat converter? i'm sure hd would want to know, maybe you could teach their engineers a thing or two

Last edited by skratch; 10-09-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:24 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Jeeze, here we go again.

Guys, the police don't get to pick what they can or can't do. There are laws. They are sworn to enforce those laws. There are even times when they are told by higher ups to get out there and concentrate on certain violations of the law. The cops aren't singleing anyone out. They're doing their job. If a law doesn't exist, or is written in a way that prevents active enforcement, it's not the cops fault. Just like when seat belt laws first came into play. In most places, the cops couldn't pull you over for it. They had to have PC to pull you over for something else, then they could write you up for the violation. Same thing with a lot of the laws on cell phones right now. Maybe some day, they'll change the laws so they can aggressively go after violators.

If you want to bitch and whine, call the city council, state houses of congress, the U.S. congress, and that worthless POS in the white house. You'll get just as far.

Besides. if you're obeying the law, there isn't anything to be upset about. Seems like the bike communities always want the laws enforced for other people, but to be left alone themselves.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:52 PM
caspr2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Desoto
Your helmet doesn't protect just your head. It protects the well being of your family as well. And nobody think of the cost to society if someone crashes. Medical care, money you don't bring home to support your family, the cost of the emergency response team and so on. At least that's how I see it. If a cop pulls me over to check my helmet, no problem, I'll be on my way shortly because my lid is DOT approved. I don't see any kind of harassement there.
Most deaths in cages are caused by head injuries. Maybe all cage drivers should have to wear helmets.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:26 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by caspr2
Most deaths in cages are caused by head injuries. Maybe all cage drivers should have to wear helmets.

Shh!!!!!! Don't say that too loud!!!

Old 10-09-2011, 01:33 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

I will wear a helmet when I feel the need. That's usually during rush hour traffic, or just when something tells me to wear it that day. I will also wear it when required by non-free States such as Missouri, or when on military bases that also require it. Also when it's below 70 degrees out. I don't like my bald spot to get too chilled even though I usually don't put on a jacket unless it's in the 50s.

Other times, I won't wear it. Just depends.

But when I do wear one, it's always DOT approved. Otherwise, might as well not wear one at all. And I don't care how it looks, or how I look in it. That's not the reason I'm wearing it at that moment.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:53 PM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I wear DOT as it was easier to get one than to buy a novelty and save ? a few bucks? The great state of Missouri does have a helmet law, not actively enforced but if you go down and require a State LEO to show he MAY or may not issue a ticket depends if he feels the need should you be wearing a novelty unit.

I really do not care to wear a helmet and in those states that have no law I do not, HOWEVER, there are instances like accessing US bases or crossing into a helmet law state while you don't have a DOT and getting a ticket, the rules are written, have been for quite a while and if you choose to not abide then you pays your money, takes your chances.

Quick Reply: Stopped for a helmet check......