Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stopped for a helmet check......

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Harleybike
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 103 sedona orange
+billnourse!!! They need to spend more time pulling over the phone users,text, puttin on there make-up, reading a book,& wahtever else they are doing while driving "STUPID"

Most states or local municipalities have not written the new laws for eating and reading and make up and what not, some states now have texting laws(albeit difficult to enforce, since the driver/texter can just say they were dialing to talk on the phone which in most cases is not against the law(yet)...I will qualify that by saying, that the city I live in, actually has a local ordinance about doing anything in your car other than drive..."Driving distracted" can't talk on phone, eat, make up...

Here is an exerpt from the law:

The first type is similar to the behavior prohibited by the State of Michigan Texting Law
that went into effect on July 1. It prohibits, with exceptions, any activity necessary to or
associated with the use of a two way wireless electronic communication device for the
purpose of sending or receiving text messages while driving a motor vehicle.
The second type prohibits, with exceptions, any activity necessary to or associated with
the use of a hand held wireless electronic device for the purpose of sending or receiving
voice messages while driving a motor vehicle. The use of a hands free device is
allowed.
The third type prohibits any other activity that distracts a driver, such that it results in the
failure of the driver to use due care and caution in the safe operation of a motor vehicle.
Examples include, but are not limited to, eating, grooming, reading, writing, or other
activities that prevent the driver from having control of the motor vehicle, with at least one
hand on the steering wheel or other steering mechanism.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:09 AM
mdp
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by billnourse
Your loud pipes are not enviornmentally compliant and the removal of cats fall in the same catagory. You are causing illegal polution that is a risk to all of us if you choose to believe what we are told. My not wearing does not create a hazard for anyone but me.

You obviously want to have everything your way. Helmets because you believe in them. No compliance with federal law concerning emmissions, because you either don't believe in those laws, or you like the attention you get from making noise.

Maybe the cops in Michigan should be making stops to see if your modifications are in compliance. Is that going to be okay with you???

Bill

About the pollution...
The catalytic converter is required to reduce greenhouse gases. CO2 comprises of 3.62% of ALL greenhouse gases. Humans contributes 3.4% to that 3.62%. If humans cease to exist tomorrow thereby eliminating their CO2 contribution, it isn't going to make a bit of difference.

If you really want to change the greenhouse levels, go after the number one contributer, water vapor.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Fierofly
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The real purpose of most of these kind of laws is because some people don't have the COMMON SENSE to know the right thing to do. It's all part of making the world IDIOT proof. When you do that THEY will multiply (And make more LAWS). Maybe we should stop selling EVERYTHING that has ever hurt an IDIOT.

LAND OF THE FREE!!!

Old 10-09-2011, 10:14 AM
Harleybike
Tourer

Your loud pipes are not enviornmentally compliant and the removal of cats fall in the same catagory. You are causing illegal polution that is a risk to all of us if you choose to believe what we are told. My not wearing does not create a hazard for anyone but me.

You obviously want to have everything your way. Helmets because you believe in them. No compliance with federal law concerning emmissions, because you either don't believe in those laws, or you like the attention you get from making noise.

Maybe the cops in Michigan should be making stops to see if your modifications are in compliance. Is that going to be okay with you???

Bill
Polution....you mean the stuff being pumped into our atmosphere by all the incinerators and plants and chemicals and....

Of course I want everything my way, don't you...? Hehe. Kidding Bill.

Yes it's ok with me...I know people.

Not here to debate what I believe or don't, just having fun discussing this. It's always a hot topic..as with any anti government topic.

I wear a helmet, and have loud pipes, and less emissions... I'm sure most of the cops in the country that ride have loud pipes and poor emissions.

No matter what the opinion of others or what is said here...Most of all

Ride safe and beware of cages....

Old 10-09-2011, 10:15 AM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

It is amazing that some think it is ok for the LEO's to pull you over for compliance. While they can not pull you over for DUI with out cause or a check point (check point is another discussion). My daughter is a alcoholic & we are trying to get her to stop, even tried to tell the cops when & where she would be knowing she was past the legal limit & they tell us that they can not single her out. But it is ok to get pulled over to see if you are breaking the law? Maybe we should pull over vehicles that are close to banks to see if they are going to rob them. Or maybe pull vehicles over driving around children to see if they have anything to kidnap the kids. I have a helmet that I painted & it covered up the DOT stamp, glad I live in a non helmet state unless you are under 18. Let them check it when I break the law & get caught.

Toby

Old 10-09-2011, 10:17 AM
TLWiz
Advanced

Originally Posted by leadman
I don't mind wearing the helmet so much.I resent being told what
to do by a government that wants me to believe they care about
me & mine when I know that's a load of crap.
I have nothing to add to this truth except for Amen.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:21 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mdp
About the pollution...
The catalytic converter is required to reduce greenhouse gases. CO2 comprises of 3.62% of ALL greenhouse gases. Humans contributes 3.4% to that 3.62%. If humans cease to exist tomorrow thereby eliminating their CO2 contribution, it isn't going to make a bit of difference.

If you really want to change the greenhouse levels, go after the number one contributer, water vapor.
I was in no way supporting the theory of manmade greenhouse gases or global warming. I also do not accept the efforts the gov't. is making on the "People's" behalf to reduce said gases with restrictive and expensive regulations.

I was making the point that modifying a motorcycle in violation of federal law while insisting that helmet laws are "all that and a box of rocks" is an exercise in hyprocracy.

Bill

Old 10-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Harleybike
Tourer

I was making the point that modifying a motorcycle in violation of federal law while insisting that helmet laws are "all that and a box of rocks" is an exercise in hyprocracy.

Bill
I never mentioned rocks...

Old 10-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Holzarbeiter
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Helmet checks are used the same way as seat belt violations. Just a reason to pull someone over and further inspect for possible offenses, otherwise it would be a vioation of the 4th amendment.

Here is an interesting link in regards to helmets and the safety that they may or may not provide.

/http://www.whybike.com/motorcycle202.htm

My personal opinion is that I don't need mommy telling me what is or is not good for me. thank god I live in a state that gives me the liberty to choose when, where and if I want to wear a lid and what kind of lit.

DOT does not do their own testing and that standard is antiquated considering new and improved materials on the market. If you are pro helmet, consider that ECE standard is non compliant in this country and will get you a ticket because the boys in blue have no clue and are only "enforcing the law". ECE standard is superior in my opinion do to headshape variables alone and they are able to produce lighter and better vented helmets then under the DOT standard.

How many times have you seen some one with a DOT lid in tank top, shorts and flip flops? How is that for safe.

This country was founded on personal liberties. Post WW1 and pre WW2 germany is a prime example of what can happen when policies get put in place for the greater common good.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:29 AM
S1dewinder
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lionsm13
It has now been established that cell phone users are more dangerous than are DUI drivers, but you rarely hear of people getting cited for cell phone useage, never mind texters... by "our boys in blue"
Our Boys in Blue are too busy talking and texting to pull anyone over for talking and texting!

Quick Reply: Stopped for a helmet check......