Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stopped for a helmet check......

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 08:55 AM
WZ4I
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Just like DUI/DWI checks...can't complain about our boys in blue keeping us safe. Don't see the problem...??
I sure do!!! What's next on their 'checklist'?

Old 10-09-2011, 08:59 AM
WZ4I
Cruiser

Originally Posted by leadman
I don't mind wearing the helmet so much.I resent being told what
to do by a government that wants me to believe they care about
me & mine when I know that's a load of crap.
You hit the nail squarely on the head..

Old 10-09-2011, 08:59 AM
InsideOut
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Desoto
...If a cop pulls me over to check my helmet, no problem, I'll be on my way shortly because my lid is DOT approved. I don't see any kind of harassement there.
Agreed, but then he notices you don't have stock, EPA approved mufflers and now you have a $500 problem (in Denver anyway).

Last edited by InsideOut; 10-09-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:12 AM
Reaper22
Road Captain

Originally Posted by billnourse
Government mandated helmet laws are no different than a law that would require ditatary restrictions, mandated exercise programs, mandated safe sex pratices etc. Protecting the population from a DUI, burglar, etc. is a valid function of gov't. Protecting one from themselves is not a function of gov't. and what I do with my personal life is none of the gov'ts. business if I am not harming others by my actions or lack of actions.

Presently the obesity epidemic in this country is a far greater threat than all the bikers in the country that are not wearing helmets, so step away from the burger bi!ch.

And don't start the public burden arguement that I saw above. Tell me how busting my head is more of a burden than someone having a heart attack or stoking out because of diet or exercise issues, smoking, etc. How would you like to get pulled over for that Big Mac? Or better yet, let's just shut down all the places that feed us stuff that is not good for us.

Stopping to check for a DOT helmet is not harrassment because that is the law of the state. What is harrassment is the fact that the law exists to begin with.

Wear a helmet if you want, don't wear one if you don't, but don't mandate what I can do with my life.

Bill
Amen to that brother, I would rather be wearing a skid lid than a dot approved full face and a yellow jacket makes his way in and and I slam into a group of kids walking to school. Oh wait a minute, just gave one of these insurance writers here an idea to ban those too.. Should asked the 300lbs cop that pulled you over how there insurance company would feel when he leaves krispy cream and heart failure sets in and he runs over the kids on the way to school. Oh but yeah he had his seat belt on so he was perfectly legal behind the wheel.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Harleybike
Tourer

Originally Posted by Stiggy
I see a HUGE difference!

DUI check protects the population that the DUI offender might harm.

But helmet checks to protect me from myself??? How about pulling me over because I'm overweight? Or because I smoke?

I wear a helmet in NC because I want to, (though the state tells me I have to also.)

It has no business doing so IMO.
How about when one gets in a crash god forbid, has only a brain bucket, end up with a closed head injury, not saying that any other helmet won't allow for a head injury) becomes a vegetable and then all the rest of the people have to pay the bills. It is for your protection and for the cost of Ins rates. No different the the safety belt laws...JMO.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:16 AM
mdp
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kwoozn
Riding south on I-405 Saturday afternoon near Bellevue, WA.
Pulled over for helmet check.
Was riding with my German style helmet.
That's a DOT approved German style helmet!!
Quick check, shook hands and on my way.
Beware in Washington state is all I can say if you ride with a novelty helmet!
Isn't it wonderful how the goverment proactively proctects us from ourselves?

Old 10-09-2011, 09:17 AM
Harleybike
Tourer

Just like DUI/DWI checks...can't complain about our boys in blue keeping us safe. Don't see the problem...??
It's not a problem until you make it a problem, ride right and there are no problems. Except loud pipes....loup pipes save lives, like helmets.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Harleybike
Tourer

Originally Posted by lionsm13
It has now been established that cell phone users are more dangerous than are DUI drivers, but you rarely hear of people getting cited for cell phone useage, never mind texters... by "our boys in blue"
You are correct, as is putting on make up, eating, GPS, reading, changing CDs, having dogs, or cats on laps....Etc, Etc, can't stop every single car....

Old 10-09-2011, 09:21 AM
Harleybike
Tourer

Originally Posted by Desoto
Your helmet doesn't protect just your head. It protects the well being of your family as well. And nobody think of the cost to society if someone crashes. Medical care, money you don't bring home to support your family, the cost of the emergency response team and so on. At least that's how I see it. If a cop pulls me over to check my helmet, no problem, I'll be on my way shortly because my lid is DOT approved. I don't see any kind of harassement there.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:22 AM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Well...helmet laws are just that too..."the law" so checking for compliance is within the law...right???

Guess comparing helmet check to DUI/DWI check is a bit apples/oranges, but your Dr. can sure help w/the other things you ID...
Not always, no. It is illegal for me to produce drugs within my residence, but the police are not allowed to randomly search my house. Checking compliance with the law is not always cause for a search. Otherwise there would be no need for warrants as police could do compliance checks anytime they pleased to "enforce" any law they pleased.

Courts said random DUI stops were OK, and now we have random safety checks. According to the courts (so far) it is considered legal. But as I understand it there is a case having to do with motorcycle safety check points in the court system right now. We will see where it goes.

It amazes me how easily some folks are willing to give up their liberties.

Quick Reply: Stopped for a helmet check......