Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stopped for a helmet check......

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 12:12 PM
WZ4I
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Feeeeg
lol, apparently not....

in all seriouslness my brother,,,, wife and I are supposedly relocating to NC come springtime, maybe we'll catch ya...

we can get all politcal over a couple beers,,,
It'll be my treat... Ride safe...

Last edited by WZ4I; 10-13-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:17 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE=Feeeeg;8928784]

Im asking why is a helmet law such a big deal?

It's such a big deal because it takes away my freedom of thought. It's not about helmets being safer - that is not arguable. But voluntarily wearing a helmet requires me to make a decision, which is a thought process. Mandatory compliance removes that freedom of thought.
I own several helmets from full coverage to "novelty". I wear "novelty" helmets most of the time because they are the closest thing to not wearing a helmet. I'm make no political statement by doing so, I simply prefer not wearing a helmet whenever possible. I fully accept the responsibility that comes with that decision and provide enough insurance to not be a burden should the worst happen.
I think we all should be able to decide for ourselves, period.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:19 PM
mdp
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am gonna catch a ton of crap for this but here goes:

My god you guys are all out of control....

You are bitching about a government that gives you more freedoms than most other countries..

Unbelievable comment....
I am just blown away at how ignorant people are about our country and freedoms.
I give you an excerpt from one of our most important documents, the Declaration of Independence....

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Your rights come directly from your Creator and the Government is organized by We The People to secure these rights!

This is proof positive the Government run education system has failed us miserably.

Last edited by mdp; 10-13-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Feeeeg
Tourer

MDP, I actually made a comment earlier, that maybe I should have phrased it, " a country that ALLOWS us more freedoms instead of gives.

I can see the point that the government takes freedoms and not gives them.

So I was wrong making that statement.

But by Creator I assume you mean your god? What does he have to say about helmets?

Old 10-13-2011, 12:52 PM
mdp
Tourer

MDP, I actually made a comment earlier, that maybe I should have phrased it, " a country that ALLOWS us more freedoms instead of gives.

I can see the point that the government takes freedoms and not gives them.

So I was wrong making that statement.

But by Creator I assume you mean your god? What does he have to say about helmets?
Read it more closely, "their Creator" or the singular version, "your Creator". I can not speak for your Creator, I can only speak for my own.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:56 PM
cafematty
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm all about freedom of choice. And I certainly can appreciate the "Big Brother" point of view. But as far as rights go... You have to consider what effects your choices have on others...

Banging your head on the road affects more than just you. (as previously stated). But from a financial standpoint, how much does it cost to cleanup a serious head injury on the highway vs a little bump on the shell? Obviously if you spill your beans all over the road, there are more emergency personnel involved and on a greater timeline. There are other motorists inconvenienced by this as well (but let's not get into that). All this costs taxpayers money. Not to mention the resources being used to cover one incident, increase the chance of some other incident being unattended. Then there's the long-term health-care and financial responsibilities that have to be footed by either the patient, patient's family, insurance company, tax-payer, or a combo of any of these..

Bottom line.. none of us want to put our bikes down. None of us are planning on putting our bikes down. Most days, it won't even cross your mind (unless you ride in the DFW area). So the thought that you can't choose whether or not you can take preventative measures on something that is not likely to happen sounds like a real squeeze on your personal rights... But I believe there is a good reason in place that warrants mandatory helmet laws.

I know in Texas, you can ride helmet exempt if you carry a certain amount of insurance (I think $10k)... So it's clearly all about the money. The government doesn't want to pay for your (or some other retard's) mistakes. Even if they don't mind making us pay for theirs.

My $0.02

Old 10-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Feeeeg
Tourer

Originally Posted by mdp
Read it more closely, "their Creator" or the singular version, "your Creator". I can not speak for your Creator, I can only speak for my own.
My creators are my mother and father. I do not hold any beliefs in that regard..

Oh and by the way, I promised my creators 6 years ago I would always wear a helmet

Old 10-13-2011, 01:41 PM
Holzarbeiter
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cafematty
I'm all about freedom of choice. And I certainly can appreciate the "Big Brother" point of view. But as far as rights go... You have to consider what effects your choices have on others...

Banging your head on the road affects more than just you. (as previously stated). But from a financial standpoint, how much does it cost to cleanup a serious head injury on the highway vs a little bump on the shell? Obviously if you spill your beans all over the road, there are more emergency personnel involved and on a greater timeline. There are other motorists inconvenienced by this as well (but let's not get into that). All this costs taxpayers money. Not to mention the resources being used to cover one incident, increase the chance of some other incident being unattended. Then there's the long-term health-care and financial responsibilities that have to be footed by either the patient, patient's family, insurance company, tax-payer, or a combo of any of these..

Bottom line.. none of us want to put our bikes down. None of us are planning on putting our bikes down. Most days, it won't even cross your mind (unless you ride in the DFW area). So the thought that you can't choose whether or not you can take preventative measures on something that is not likely to happen sounds like a real squeeze on your personal rights... But I believe there is a good reason in place that warrants mandatory helmet laws.

I know in Texas, you can ride helmet exempt if you carry a certain amount of insurance (I think $10k)... So it's clearly all about the money. The government doesn't want to pay for your (or some other retard's) mistakes. Even if they don't mind making us pay for theirs.

My $0.02

What???
Emergency responce is the same, helmet or no helmet. I like you to show me some data otherwise to back that statement up. Most head injuries are internal, the chances that "your beans" are all over the road are slim, maybe if your head got run over and then the helmet would more than likely be rendered useless as well.
The picture of the rider with his head in the back of the tractor trailer (earlier in the thread) is a prime example. He was dead on the scene. He was wearing a helmet. He still spilled blood on the roadway.
I would have to say that more riders have spilled their blood do to road rash or other then do to a head injury. A helmet will reduce the chance of a head injury and the severity but you can still receive one with a helmet.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:12 PM
cafematty
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Holzarbeiter
What???
Emergency responce is the same, helmet or no helmet. I like you to show me some data otherwise to back that statement up. Most head injuries are internal, the chances that "your beans" are all over the road are slim, maybe if your head got run over and then the helmet would more than likely be rendered useless as well.
The picture of the rider with his head in the back of the tractor trailer (earlier in the thread) is a prime example. He was dead on the scene. He was wearing a helmet. He still spilled blood on the roadway.
I would have to say that more riders have spilled their blood do to road rash or other then do to a head injury. A helmet will reduce the chance of a head injury and the severity but you can still receive one with a helmet.
You're telling me medically, an accident would cost the rider the same, helmet or not?

I don't care how severe (or mild) said accident is, you're going to fair better with a helmet. The treatment of your wounds.. if any... will be cheaper with proper protection. This is the point of view the state of Texas sees it from. I would assume your state law agencies do as well.

And since you asked, I did some research....

- Motorcyclists who crash without a helmet are three times more likely to have brain
injuries than those wearing a helmet.

- In addition to the tragic loss of life, the economic cost to society is enormous. In 2005,
motorcyclists without helmets were involved in 36 percent of all motorcycle crashes, but
represented 70 percent of the total cost of all motorcycle crashes – $12.2 billion.

- Medical and other costs for unhelmeted riders involved in crashes are staggering,
estimated at $310,000 per crash-involved motorcyclist. That’s more than four times the
overall cost of accidents involving helmeted riders.

These facts were taken from a report by the National Transportation Safety Board.
http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/safetyalerts/sa_012.pdf

Old 10-13-2011, 05:40 PM
Holzarbeiter
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cafematty
You're telling me medically, an accident would cost the rider the same, helmet or not?

I don't care how severe (or mild) said accident is, you're going to fair better with a helmet. The treatment of your wounds.. if any... will be cheaper with proper protection. This is the point of view the state of Texas sees it from. I would assume your state law agencies do as well.

And since you asked, I did some research....

- Motorcyclists who crash without a helmet are three times more likely to have brain
injuries than those wearing a helmet.

- In addition to the tragic loss of life, the economic cost to society is enormous. In 2005,
motorcyclists without helmets were involved in 36 percent of all motorcycle crashes, but
represented 70 percent of the total cost of all motorcycle crashes – $12.2 billion.

- Medical and other costs for unhelmeted riders involved in crashes are staggering,
estimated at $310,000 per crash-involved motorcyclist. That’s more than four times the
overall cost of accidents involving helmeted riders.

These facts were taken from a report by the National Transportation Safety Board.
http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/safetyalerts/sa_012.pdf

Did you read your first post? Did you read my responce to your first post?

Quick Reply: Stopped for a helmet check......