Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stopped for a helmet check......

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 07:55 AM
jrat69
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here in Indiana we don't have to wear a helmet, but I do. I was against the helmet law when we had it, just didn't like the government telling me I had to.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,823 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by Desoto
Your helmet doesn't protect just your head. It protects the well being of your family as well. And nobody think of the cost to society if someone crashes. Medical care, money you don't bring home to support your family, the cost of the emergency response team and so on. At least that's how I see it. If a cop pulls me over to check my helmet, no problem, I'll be on my way shortly because my lid is DOT approved. I don't see any kind of harassement there.
Do you realize that by your statement you could also support BANNING motorcycles entirely? Its the infamous slippery slope!

Let the government tell you what's best for you.

(And BTW, I don't smoke and could probably afford to lose maybe 20 lbs, tops...)

Last edited by Stiggy; 10-09-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:03 AM
Mighty Nation
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cops look for things that are not legal, if they find something they give you a warning, site you, or arrest you. That is what they do, that is what they are hired and trained to do. They may like you and decide to be a little bit of a buddy, but don't count on it. Some are good and some are bad, just like in any other job.

A few years back there was a City Councilman in Sacramento, Ca that quit because all they wanted to talk about at every meeting was what new laws they could pass and the premiss to get them passed so they could fine more people and get more money. That was all they ever talked about, how to get more money from the people, so the guy got fed up and quit.

If those laws are passed and the Mayor says zero tolerance then the cops have no choice but to enforce them every time, otherwise they may lose their jobs. The number of laws on the books is ridiculous. So you have to ask yourself, is it better to obey all the laws and lose some of your freedoms and have the law "protect" you, or is it better to break some of them and give up all your freedoms when they arrest you. Unless you want a revolution, that is the way it is.

How many freedoms will they eventually take away? You answer that.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:06 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Well...helmet laws are just that too..."the law" so checking for compliance is within the law...right???

Guess comparing helmet check to DUI/DWI check is a bit apples/oranges, but your Dr. can sure help w/the other things you ID...
This might be next on their list. I see a lot of Bikes on the road that are overloaded with fat people. Some of them are smoking too. That can be detrimental to everybody,including the bike!....

Old 10-09-2011, 08:07 AM
PWFD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess I never understood the novelty helmet thing anyway? If you are going to have a bucket on your head why not have a DOT approved safe one?

T

Old 10-09-2011, 08:09 AM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
It has now been established that cell phone users are more dangerous than are DUI drivers, but you rarely hear of people getting cited for cell phone useage, never mind texters... by "our boys in blue"
Don't want to start a run on Helmet Laws, But don't use your cell phone in NYC while driving, you will get pulled over and get a summons.

Be Safe JIM

Old 10-09-2011, 08:43 AM
ncdan
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Being a retired LEO of 30 years I believe we all should obey our local laws the problem I have with helmet laws are that no thought went into them,they came into being by insurance agencies. A 30 year old helmet with the insides falling out is ok as long as it has that DOT approval. A 500 dollor bell raceing helmet comes with a warning that if droped replace before furthur use. The DOT test consist of how much pressure it takes to push a steel bar through the outer shell. If states insist on forceing the use of a helmet they need to use a little common sense.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:47 AM
leadman
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't mind wearing the helmet so much.I resent being told what
to do by a government that wants me to believe they care about
me & mine when I know that's a load of crap.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,011 Likes on 4,201 Posts

Here we go boys and girls---And don't even think about putting a DOT sticker on one. Improper equipment is $100, Sticking a DOT on it goes to a $1000. How's that for harassment????

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 10-09-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:49 AM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its definitely harassment. they are no more qualified to check helmet compliance as they are checking the wear of your brake pads.

Quick Reply: Stopped for a helmet check......