Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07 Road King License Plate Relocation

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 06:40 PM
RiderX
Road Master
Received 301 Likes on 183 Posts
Question '07 Road King License Plate Relocation

Let me first start out by saying: Yes! I have read all of the threads and posts about relocating the license plate. I have even reviewed all of the various kits out there by Softbrake, Kuryakyn, Autogem, etc... I also realize that Harley Davidson makes a kit, part number 53702-04A, that contains everything needed to do this.

The problem is that I do not like the turn signal bracket and lamp assembly that comes in that kit. I would like to use my existing turn signal bracket and lights. What can I say, the bullet style lights are just not my thing. I found the instruction sheet for the 53702-04A kit which also cotnains all of the parts in the kit; I love that HD lists the parts on their multi-part kits like this one. I purchased the license plate mounting bracket - 60089-05 and the and the license plate adjustment bracket - 60090-05. I read on another thread that purchasing these two parts should work with my existing light bar. Unfortunately, there are no holes on the back of my OE light bar for the license plate mounting bracket to screw into.

Has anyone attempted to relocate his, or her - I don't want to discriminate, license plate using just these two parts with the OE light bar? If so, I would love to hear how you mounted the license plate mounting bracket to your OE light bar.

I could just try to drill a couple of holes in the back of the bar to accomodate the mounting bracket but there is a curve in the light bar where the holes on the bracket line up the light bar.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Also, other solutions that would allow me to use my existing light bar and do require additional drilling on my rear fender are welcome as well.

Thank you in advance for your feedback. I will take your comments off of the air! Wait... wrong format. Sorry.

RiderX

Old 10-09-2011, 08:59 AM
RiderX
Road Master
Default No one?

No one has relocated his or her license plate below the tail light?

Old 10-09-2011, 09:42 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

on my 07 road king custom, i relocated the license plate under the left saddlebag. i used the fireman joe's sidemount bracket (http://firemanjoes.com/license_plate...nd_frames.html). really cleaned up the back of the fender. i no longer have the 07, but if you're interested in the bracket, pm me....

Old 10-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I think your trouble with replies is the requirement to reuse the light bar. I reused my lights but not the light bar and came up with this.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:59 AM
kmayHD
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just made a bracket at work, which borrows the bolt for the fender tip light. Then bought 2 of those license plate bolts with built in LEDS, and pirated the tip lights power source to illuminate the plate.

Attached Thumbnails '07 Road King License Plate Relocation-005.jpg  
Old 10-09-2011, 06:08 PM
wulffe
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Soft bags on your classic will make the fender mount an issue, I think.

Someone on here (I don't have the link anymore) wrote about a bracket that hangs the plate off the bottom of the current light bar and they lit it buy rigging some LED's below the plate. Searching on some terms might come up with it. Google search might be more useful than the function on here - finish it with :HDFORUMS I think works.

For me I have had it up to here living with lights and other electrics I rig cuz I just don't got it for electrical and chase around after the issues that crop up for years and years.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:34 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Softbrake has a relocator bracket for $40. No drilling or cutting. Reuse your stock bar.
http://www.softbrake.com/shop/produc...dgroup=License
Then you can ditch the hoop and install some Autogem shotgun lights.
http://www.auto-gem.com/index.php/pr...un-lights.html

Last edited by IAMSWUTIAMS; 10-09-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:38 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Soft Brake bracket. Since this pic was taken I added a Street Glide tail light lens and a tag frame with LED lighting. Soft Brake says the bracket won't fit a Road King but all you have to do is take a rat tail file and elongate the mounting holes a bit. Bolts on between the turn signal bracket and the fender.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:50 PM
RiderX
Road Master

Originally Posted by Neckball
Soft Brake bracket. Since this pic was taken I added a Street Glide tail light lens and a tag frame with LED lighting. Soft Brake says the bracket won't fit a Road King but all you have to do is take a rat tail file and elongate the mounting holes a bit. Bolts on between the turn signal bracket and the fender.

I heard the Soft Brake bracket doesn't hold up though. Have you had any issues with it?

I ended up purchasing the bracket that is in the HD relocation kit and making some harsh adjustments with my Dremel to make it fit. It ended up working out well. Now, I just need to figure out what to do to remove the support tube. I really do not like it now that my license plate has been moved.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:30 PM
Gambler72
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is an old thread but RiderX... did you end up using both of the brackets you bought from HD? Im also very interested in moving the plate... but am thinking of retaining the stock light bar OR grabbing the narrow bar.... Thanks!