Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New wheels installed... Bike almost 2 inchs higher... How do I lower?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011 | 06:18 AM
kyleplusitunes
|
Road Master
Default New wheels installed... Bike almost 2 inchs higher... How do I lower?

So I bought a new set of wheels, 21 front, 16 rear with a metzeler tire the same size as my stock tire.. However both the front and rear sit almost 2 inches higher than stock wheels..

What parts will I need to lower a 2011 Road King back down an inch or two in both the front and rear.

Old 10-08-2011 | 06:36 AM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior

What is the width of the rear rim? If it's nearly stock width, if the RK comes with a 16" rear rim, and since you're using the stock size tire in the rear...it's illogical that you'd have increased the diameter of the wheel/tire combination by 4"...which would provide a 2" increase in rear height. I'd recheck the measurements in the rear, and measure height in line from the rear axle center straight down to the ground. The front's another matter...

The reason I mention rim width is it's conceivable that running a much narrower rim would 'squeeze' the sidewalls and cause the tire diameter to increase. But even then...not by 4".

My guess would be you haven't raised the rear. Everything that's changed is as a result of what was done up front. (To lower the front, you can put in reduced height springs. If Progressive has sorted things out, I believe they have a cartridge front-end that can be adjusted to lower 1" or 2". There were a number of complaints about the Progressive system, so I'd make sure they've addressed the problems before I purchased one).

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 10-08-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-08-2011 | 06:38 AM
buggy
Road Captain

You have to lower the front end1.5 to 2" to get the front down (I have used progressive). The rear should be the same height. Also make sure your front fender is not rubbing.

Old 10-08-2011 | 06:43 AM
kyleplusitunes
|
Road Master

Do you happen to have a link to the progressive part or a part number I need to get? Thanks!

Old 10-08-2011 | 07:58 AM
bwana1
Road Warrior

Sounds to me like you are destroying a good suspension.

Old 10-08-2011 | 09:02 AM
kyleplusitunes
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by bwana1
Sounds to me like you are destroying a good suspension.

Could you explain the science in destroying a good suspension by putting different wheels on a bike? Thanks!

Old 10-08-2011 | 09:46 AM
bwana1
Road Warrior

I should have said "about to destroy".

Taller wheels with low profile tires will have a minimum effect but taking out 1-2 inches of front and possibly rear suspension travel...you be the judge.

jmho

Bwana

Old 10-08-2011 | 09:49 AM
kmayHD
Road Master

"destroying a good suspension" ??? I dont think the stock suspension would even qualify as "good". Updated springs in front and new shocks in rear, with these wheels, you should be leaps and bounds ahead of the Stock system.

Old 10-08-2011 | 10:02 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by kyleplusitunes
Could you explain the science in destroying a good suspension by putting different wheels on a bike? Thanks!
Compromise might be a better word than destroy. I assume you put the big wheel up front for appearance; you now have two different diameter wheels so your two axles are no longer running at the same height. Changing the axle height on one wheel is similar to changing either the front or rear suspension height, it has an effect on handling characteristics. Now you're wanting to bring the saddle height back down either for looks or to accomodate your inseam. When you lower the front suspension to compensate for the higher axle on the big wheel, you will loose suspension travel and reduce the abiltiy of the front end to absorb bumps, and you will definately alter chassis geomety, but I'm not familiar with how it will effect your ride. Best of luck finding an honest opinion about the suspension and handling of one of these trendy big wheel set ups. If it looks exotic and "cool", it probably handles less than desireable.

Old 10-08-2011 | 10:35 AM
bwana1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by KennyMay
"destroying a good suspension" ??? I dont think the stock suspension would even qualify as "good". Updated springs in front and new shocks in rear, with these wheels, you should be leaps and bounds ahead of the Stock system.
Your sig says 2006 FLH. There is also a difference of "leaps and bounds" between your stock suspension and the OP's 2011. imo Shortening the spring/shock travel will degrade the suspension and, low profile tires with their 1' sidewall must be great for carving corners...not.

to each his own

Bwana

Quick Reply: New wheels installed... Bike almost 2 inchs higher... How do I lower?