Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police Motorcycles...BMWs???

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006 | 06:19 PM
JeffSG
|
Road Warrior
Default Police Motorcycles...BMWs???

While driving through South Carolina yesterday I saw 3 motorcycle cops on white BMWs. Anyone know why they wouldn't be riding Harleys? Any other states have cops on anything other than Harleys?

Ride safe,

Old 11-25-2006 | 06:22 PM
anubisss
Banned
Default RE: Police Motorcycles...BMWs???

The city I live in has some cops on Kawi's, some on Harley's, and some on Beemers. I think that they give the choice to the officer. Maybe some Leo's can come up with an answer...

Old 11-25-2006 | 06:44 PM
Yogibear
Tourer

I think it's more what kind of deal some politician/beaurocrat
can get out of some dealer rather then officer preference.
At least that's what it is around here. Mostly Harley's but a few
Kaw's...........!!

Later

Old 11-25-2006 | 06:52 PM
Madav8tr
Road Captain

I think BMW has an auto plant in South Carolina. If so, that probably plays a major role in why they are riding beemers. Also, for "pure" interstate work, the BMW is probably a better choice........faster, lighter, etc.... I love my Road King but it has it's weaknesses on the highways just as the BMW has its weaknesses in a city setting. For us, the Harley's are better choices considering we don't work ANY interstate and the public tends to gravitate toward the Harley just because of the name. Public relations is a HUGE part of what we do as motor officers in my city. Citizens love Harley Davidsons and seem to be extra proud that the police in their city have enough class to be riding them

Old 11-25-2006 | 07:37 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Read my thread HERE and get the answer

Old 11-25-2006 | 08:02 PM
Lpye
Road Captain

BMW makes a deal with the Highway Patrol since thier only US Auto Plant is in SC. There are also a handful of BMW Police & Fire cars.

Old 11-25-2006 | 08:40 PM
harleyxlc
Road Master

Local cops here ride Kawasakis. Can't say I've noticed what the CHP riders have, but I know it isn't Harley. There was a big todo about a local dealer donating some Harleys, but I never heard more about it and haven't seen them.

Old 11-25-2006 | 09:54 PM
fimduc
Cruiser

Worldwide BMW is far and away the largest supplier of motors to LE agencies........this link shows all the agencies in the US that use beemers http://www.bmwmc.net/uploads/tm7/pdbmw.pdf.....Halrey had a very, very inexpensive lease program offered to LE for years as they also had a buy-back program that made it attractive for dealers to re-cylce them through the dealership.....that has changed a bunch now on the business end since Harley started producing upwards of 300,000 units a year....beemers are great bikes and mucho fun to ride, great second bike next to the HD.............best thing is you can drop into any dealer and they let you test ride the entire fleet

Old 11-25-2006 | 09:55 PM
Fishpart
Tourer

MD uses BMW also, I think they still have some Harley's.

Old 11-25-2006 | 10:23 PM
kpshooter
Cruiser

Here in Nebraska, it's H-D (at least in my area) - mostly EG Police with some RK Police models.

Quick Reply: Police Motorcycles...BMWs???