Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police Motorcycles...BMWs???

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006 | 10:32 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Police Motorcycles...BMWs???

Here in Utah, the Highway Patrol uses Harley Electra Glide Classics but with police saddle bags and radio trunk. They have cruise control, am/fm radio and all the guages. They are mostly around Salt Lake City but we see them down here for the county fair and other civic events. The city of St George uses the Road King Police.[8D]

Old 11-25-2006 | 11:24 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member

Here in Socal CHP rides Bimmers, they were in a deal to change to HD, but there was a concern with high speed wobble. Havent heard what the outcome is though.

Old 11-26-2006 | 12:35 AM
Bill918
Road Captain

About 2 year ago BMW gave 900 bikes to local PD's. Most of the PD's here in Jersey have since gone back to HD. Usually due to economics. HD has a verygood lease and purchase plan fore LEO.

Old 11-26-2006 | 01:41 AM
Nadil
Road Warrior

The state police and our local city biker cops all ride HD's here in Louisiana.

Old 11-26-2006 | 12:29 PM
heartdoc
Intermediate

NYC uses HD. I'm amazed that they can tollerate the heat of stop and go manhattan traffic. I would think for metro use a water cooled bike would be better.

Old 11-26-2006 | 02:07 PM
mjh
Tourer

Good question. I ride a 2004 Road King-police re-cycled from San Diego County Sheriff acquired in Dec '05 with 17,500 miles. I think SD County Sherif is the only agency in SD county on the Harley - both Road Kings and Electra Glides. I have not seen any other LE Harley's on the road. Some of the north county cities may be on HD, but I haven't met up with them yet, thank goodness.
Escondido PD - BMW
SD PD - BMW and Kawi's
Chula Vista PD - BMW

The County leases from HD for a period of time, not miles. The bikes are "de commissioned" with the police markings, lights, sirens, etc removed, serviced and sold off on the "used" bike market. That's how I got mine. Very happy with it and I have not had any problems. The bike was in excellent condition and I am very pleased. The agency markings are removed but the color scheme of black and white is maintained.

Old 11-26-2006 | 03:00 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member

rk's here in phila (i have one )

Old 11-26-2006 | 03:17 PM
metal_mike
Road Warrior

yep here in md. they ride both...must've just aquired them recently though ive seen a few here and there and the l.e.o is always being quizzed about it.

funny thing...the new olive & black two-tone scheme harley just came out with.....are the md. trooper colors exactly!

Old 11-27-2006 | 12:02 AM
mtpoland
Cruiser

The State Troopers, NOPD, most of the Sheriff's Depts and even LSU Security Details use HDs in Louisiana.

Old 11-27-2006 | 01:11 AM
TowJam
Road Warrior

I know I'm going to get flamed but here goes....

I've owned a number of BMWs - including the RT which is BMW's LEO platform. I've also owned a number of Harleys - including a bagger. Based on my personal experience with both in Dallas/Ft.Worth traffic, I would pick the BMW in a heartbeat. Better handling, less radiant engine heat (VERY important factor to consider - especially here in the summer) and a proven ABS system.

But if I'm wearing my "tax payer hat", I'd probably opt for the Harley. It's my understanding that for a number of reasons, BMW is no longer price competitive with Harley. On the other hand, I want our LEOs using the best tool for the job, so again, I'd have to go back to BMW.

Of course, I'm not a LEO so my opinion really doesn't amount to jack sh**.

Quick Reply: Police Motorcycles...BMWs???