Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What they DON'T tell you II

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 07:15 PM
FLHXXHLF
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What they DON'T tell you II

so I was reading on another forum, also the HD site, and found where many owners were having problems with their motorcycles with vibration. ( http://www.hdtalking.com/touring_mod...vibration.html)
Especially after any modifications. FLHS has been known to eat faring mounts. Mine had to be changed and the dealer wouldn't warranty it because I modified my engine. THEY did the modifying .
I don't know about anyone else, but I've done a lot of investigation regarding harley's excessive vibration problems. Many people like to say , that's just harley. Well not so. It doesn't vibrate when you purchase it. Or at least not mine. And many others that people have bought. Yet when the factory pipes come off and modifications begin, so does the vibration. Then its trips back to the dealer with no real results. If you do a search on google regarding Harley FLHX or Harley Davidson in general you will find many many post on excessive vibrations.
I first noticed mine when Harley modified my engine. 103 build. 585 cams . 10:0.1 compression. From that point it was a long laundry list of attempts to find the right build, plus eliminate vibrations . Both are pretty much impossible in my book .
I even went so far as to research into motor mounts . I went so far as to completely remove my stabilizers and loosen my motor mounts . then out it on a jack stand so it would set perfectly level. I then cranked the engine and let it idle. then i sat across the frame and gave it some throttle just to see what it would feel like. Still vibrations. All three motor mounts are brand new.
Allowing the engine to settle didn't help any. Vibration still there. Strong buzzing felt in the floor boards and back rest to the point after a hours ride your back and feet feel swollen and buzzing or tingling .

S&S 106 build . Bob woods 7G cams. 56 mm throttle body with injectors . 10:0.1 compression .Darkhorse reworked the crank TWICE !

This vibration has destroyed the enjoyment . Im thinking on going back to stock or a 110 stock. I have plenty of TQ & HP but the vibration is just to much to deal with on a comfortable level. Swollen feet hurt after a while.

Any Suggestions ?

Old 10-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Sgt. Fury
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FLHXXHLF

Any Suggestions ?
Buy a Goldwing.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:38 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You must be one of those blokes who buys a house next to an airport and complains about aircraft noise.

The dealer modified your engine at your instruction. It was up to you to establish if that modification was appropriate for your needs. As your link shows there is plenty of public information about vibration, you should have researched your modifications before you had them done.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:40 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

my stage 1 bikes have lasted for

23 years/ 80000 miles
16 years/ 80000 miles
and the 09 has about 12000 miles.
( the '53 only has 25000 miles, it sat in a barn for 25 years)

As you pointed out in past posts, building up one part of the machine discovers the next weakest link.

As riders have demanded "comfort" the iso rear hub, motor mount changes etc have been brought into play- a built motor just chews up the rubber bushings.

...and building up the motor removes warranty support.

My stock 96" runs just great, it does everything that i could ever ask from a Harley touring bike

I've said before that it'll cost the equivalent of 2 kawasakis to make your bike go near as fast as one, and even then it won't last.

mike

Old 10-06-2011, 07:41 PM
twistr
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt. Fury
Buy a Goldwing.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

Harleys don't vibrate... You have a dud.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:55 PM
cooper57M
Tourer

they should of shut down that first thread after the fist page.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:01 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by cooper57M
they should of shut down that first thread after the fist page.
Why? I want to hear what everybody has to say about the OP's observations, you don't mind do you?

Old 10-06-2011, 08:12 PM
FLHXXHLF
Tourer

Originally Posted by mkguitar
my stage 1 bikes have lasted for

23 years/ 80000 miles
16 years/ 80000 miles
and the 09 has about 12000 miles.
( the '53 only has 25000 miles, it sat in a barn for 25 years)

As you pointed out in past posts, building up one part of the machine discovers the next weakest link.

As riders have demanded "comfort" the iso rear hub, motor mount changes etc have been brought into play- a built motor just chews up the rubber bushings.

...and building up the motor removes warranty support.

My stock 96" runs just great, it does everything that i could ever ask from a Harley touring bike

I've said before that it'll cost the equivalent of 2 kawasakis to make your bike go near as fast as one, and even then it won't last.

mike
You've got a good point. Leaving the motorcycle stock is the best bet if you really enjoy long range riding. I guess if you want to modify, get ready to except VIBRATION and a LOT of it.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You must not have started your engine before you bought it. Mine vibrated when I bought it. It's stock except for stage 1. I would not have bought it if it didn't vibrate. It's a Harley!!! They vibrate!!! Enjoy it!!!!

Quick Reply: What they DON'T tell you II