Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left stranded by brand new CVO

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 08:15 PM
joflewbyu2
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cptdenny
I don't work. I live off my investments for the last 13 years. I started investing with savings bonds when I first joined the Army in '72. Through out my working life I progressed into stocks, muni bonds, precious metals and eventually real-estate. My investing was my 2nd job that was always there after work. I eventually started making more in my investments than my day job. I was offered a company buy out of my company stock, and decided I had enough to retire at age 43.

What's amazing is that my average salary was only about $37K a year due to low military wages and my highest just a tad over $50K for the last few years of working.

This may be too much information but I believe it can motivate others to achieve financial independence no matter what one makes by just investing in ones future. I started when I was making just $288 a month before taxes!
Have to ask to know. Do you have any kids or a wife to support. I make $100k/yr and don't see retiring any time soon at my age of 42. I have 3 kids and my wife stays home as I prefer her to raise the children. Between college pre-pay and health insurance ($2,000/mo.), I have little left over for mortgage $2250/mo and necessities such as food and clothing. I am blessed and have paid off debt as quickly as I can instead of investing. Both my cars are paid for and my mortgage is 15 years which helped me build lots of home equity as I want my house paid for in case anything happens to me that my wife can collect my SS $$ and live. If I was single my pockets would jingle.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:25 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior

Yesterday afternoon at 5 PM my 2011 Road Glide Ultra CVO breaks down at local gas station after fill up. I Pushed start button and hear a metallic rattle like a nut or bolt falling inside engine. Bike won't start. Nine days old with 950 miles on the clock. Was planning to do an oil change last night.

I called my dealership 25 miles away on advice. Was recommended I call HOG for tow to dealership. HOG membership came through. Got the bike to dealer by 6:45 last night with no additional tow charges.

I went to dealership first thing this morning and had a work order written up. Called dealer at 3 PM today and was told they were swamped with work, so no one looked at it. I was told they should get to it in the morning and the plan was to open the primary. Hopefully there won't be any negative surprises.

Anyone with similar experience on this?

Now my rant:
Dropping 38 large just over a week ago on the bike I felt I should have earned some priority ahead of bikes waiting for simple maintenance. Guess many years of Gold Wing ownership has spoiled me. Rant over.

I do have confidence in my dealer's mechanics at this time.
I hope that you get your bike from some where else, because the Treasure coast HD, which is very close to your city, has an excellent customer service!
Last time, when I told them that the rear brake switch of my bike was broken, and I lost the rear brake, they immediately offered to tow the bike from my house to the dealer (17 miles away) without any charge. I only asked to give me a new switch (without charge, of course), and replaced it by myself.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:31 PM
cptdenny
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by joflewbyu2
Have to ask to know. Do you have any kids or a wife to support. I make $100k/yr and don't see retiring any time soon at my age of 42. I have 3 kids and my wife stays home as I prefer her to raise the children. Between college pre-pay and health insurance ($2,000/mo.), I have little left over for mortgage $2250/mo and necessities such as food and clothing. I am blessed and have paid off debt as quickly as I can instead of investing. Both my cars are paid for and my mortgage is 15 years which helped me build lots of home equity as I want my house paid for in case anything happens to me that my wife can collect my SS $$ and live. If I was single my pockets would jingle.
I have a wife of 31 years that stayed at home for about 25 years and a single daughter that's a physician here in town. No student loans or debt for anyone of us. House paid for, all vehicles paid for. We all live beneath our means, which has financially disciplined us over the decades.

My point is, it doesn't matter how much you make, but how much you keep. My income comes from capital gains. Since I'm a long term investor, I've been through a few stock crashes. When that happens, at the end of the year I realize my capital losses.

Because of these losses accumulated over the years, I haven't paid any federal taxes since 2000, yet I average an unrealized profit of about $100K a year. I only draw a set amount for household expenses which is a fraction of what I profit against my accumulated losses.

This way I stay tax free federally. I do get hit with property taxes of about $5K a year. My Heath insurance for wife & I comes to $450 a month.

I know you're still wondering how I do it. Well by the age of 34 my investments grew to over the 7 figure mark, despite a salary in the mid $30K at the time. No matter how little I made, I always made sure I paid myself first. This means take the first hour of your salary every day and have it automatically taken out so you don't miss it. Have it invested in some sort of investment instrument. If your company offers a investment incentive, always max it out.

Get yourself the book, The Automatic Millionaire by David Bach it's about $10 and if you're cost conscience as myself, ask your local library to get it for you. It's an easy read that you can finish in one evening.

In the book, The Millionaire Next Door by Dr. Stanley there's a saying that has always stuck in my mind, "You can't be rich, you make too much money". Think about it.

PM me since we're hijacking my own thread if you want to further discuss finance.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:41 PM
joflewbyu2
Road Master

Appreciate the advice. Thanks !!

Old 10-26-2011, 11:49 PM
cptdenny
Road Warrior

I now have over 600 miles on this build, so it's finally broken in. I took it to 95 MPH earlier and it felt solid and powerful. The engine has less mechanical noise than when it was stock. It feels like it's going to be a reliable bike now.

I have a taller F4 windshield on it's way to me. Hopefully it will quiet down the wind noise since it's 3" taller than stock. Then I can put away the ear plugs for local riding and listen to my tunes at a lower volume.

I want to get past doing the oil change myself and keep any mess to a minimum. Since I now have less room to work with than on my former RK. Got the oil cooler and lowers now to contend with. Plenty of brake cleaner on the shelf.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:25 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 392 Likes on 232 Posts

My income comes from capital gains. Since I'm a long term investor, I've been through a few stock crashes. When that happens, at the end of the year I realize my capital losses.

Because of these losses accumulated over the years, I haven't paid any federal taxes since 2000, yet I average an unrealized profit of about $100K a year.
PM me since we're hijacking my own thread if you want to further discuss finance.
I bought New Century Financial (NEW) at $41.32 and now it's worth zero, but I am part of the class action suit. I bought Cisco (CSCO) at $30.39 and it closed yesterday at $17.61. I bought Bank of America at $13, it dropped to $9 so I bought more, and it dropped to $6, so if it was a good buy at $13, it was an even better buy at $6, so I bought some more. Since I can only take $3K in losses each year, my losses are backed up longer than your CVO was at the dealer. My portfolio took a beating in 99 and I am still recovering.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:32 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iride66
I understand your frustration, sucks when you brand new, expensive scooter is broke.

On the other hand...if the service writer tells me my bike won't be ready when promised because the guy who can afford a 38k bike came in after me and wants his....probably gonna get an ear full.

Regardless...hope they fix your bike and your in the wind enjoying it quick!

Cheers
Yep. What he said.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:11 AM
cptdenny
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Sandcrab
Since I can only take $3K in losses each year, my losses are backed up longer than your CVO was at the dealer. My portfolio took a beating in 99 and I am still recovering.
I accumulated over $600K in realized losses over the decades from stock market crashes. Presently I'm down to $350K in realized losses. This means i can realize up to $350K in profit in one year and not pay any federal or capital gain taxes. That's the cool part.

However I chose to chip away as minimal as possible against those losses so I can remain tax free year after year, while growing my portfolio. This is one of those "rich tax loopholes" that you hear about but it's available to everyone.